Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.i.p Pontiac (1926 - 2009?)
It was on the news last night, so I think it's official. And like said above, it's unfortunate to see the G8 go... I wonder what they'll turn it into... future Impala SS?

*throws up* lol
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
That's actually not a bad idea, man. The Impala was always best as a rear-drive platform. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Mechanically speaking, fine... but it's aesthetics are what made me dislike it.
'14 Escape 2.0t
ZTWsquared,Apr 27 2009, 11:04 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 27 2009, 09:33 AM Wrote:Okay and now the catastrophe hits the GM dealer network in Canada, 'cause I can't see Buick/GMC surviving as a stand alone dealership, meaning a whack are going to be closed / coverted to Chev / Cadillac.

Bets on when the first lawsuit is filed?  My guess is two months from the date that Pontiac is declared dead.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]285938[/snapback][/right]

GM is already on record that they intend to cut their dealerships by 50% (in the US) - - it's been commonly accepted in the industry that they are heavily over-dealered in Canada - it's long overdue.

Ford in Canada at one time had over 700 dealerships ... they now have barely 400 ... the 300 went away when the Mercury franchise was cancelled and others have fallen by the wayside over the past 10 years or so.

Ford's way ahead of the curve on this one - one of the reasons Ford in Canada is still profitable and Ford US is still on their feet without government assistance.
[right][snapback]285944[/snapback][/right]

Oh I don't disagree ZTW, not in the least, however where I'm looking at it is the fact that unlike Ford where the dealerships had been previously split Ford and Lincoln/Mercury and when Mercury was killed there was a natural blending of the remaining brands, GM doesn't have such a seamless transition available to it.

I mean imagine your a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership, what are you thinking now?

If I was one of those dealers I'd be screaming bloody murder and calling my lawyer if GM thinks I was just gonna close up shop & go fishing.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 27 2009, 05:27 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Apr 27 2009, 11:04 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 27 2009, 09:33 AM Wrote:Okay and now the catastrophe hits the GM dealer network in Canada, 'cause I can't see Buick/GMC surviving as a stand alone dealership, meaning a whack are going to be closed / coverted to Chev / Cadillac.

Bets on when the first lawsuit is filed?  My guess is two months from the date that Pontiac is declared dead.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]285938[/snapback][/right]

GM is already on record that they intend to cut their dealerships by 50% (in the US) - - it's been commonly accepted in the industry that they are heavily over-dealered in Canada - it's long overdue.

Ford in Canada at one time had over 700 dealerships ... they now have barely 400 ... the 300 went away when the Mercury franchise was cancelled and others have fallen by the wayside over the past 10 years or so.

Ford's way ahead of the curve on this one - one of the reasons Ford in Canada is still profitable and Ford US is still on their feet without government assistance.
[right][snapback]285944[/snapback][/right]

Oh I don't disagree ZTW, not in the least, however where I'm looking at it is the fact that unlike Ford where the dealerships had been previously split Ford and Lincoln/Mercury and when Mercury was killed there was a natural blending of the remaining brands, GM doesn't have such a seamless transition available to it.

I mean imagine your a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership, what are you thinking now?

If I was one of those dealers I'd be screaming bloody murder and calling my lawyer if GM thinks I was just gonna close up shop & go fishing.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]286003[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking the same thing... there's a JohnBear dealer down the street from me that was recently overhauled, I assume their signs have fresh new Pontiac logos on there.
'14 Escape 2.0t
Hummer, Saturn and Pontiac's reaction to the news that they're closing down / being sold off:

[Image: AbandonFailboat.jpg]
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.