Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hatch Pistons Question
I didn't know if this was an appearence mod or a perfomance mod so I put it here. I have the 40lb Wings West wrap around spoiler and when it's cold the pistons on my hatch cannot hold the hatch up. Has anyone changed their pistons to stronger ones? Has anyone heard of someone doing this? I'm tired of getting concussions in the winter from my hatch closing on my head so any suggestions would greatly help!

- Mike
I think there was a TSB on the pistons. I have the same problem and no 40lbs wing.
The TSB i understand is the install of better suited pistons for our climate.
j3rt,Aug 15 2004, 09:03 AM Wrote:I think there was a TSB on the pistons.  I have the same problem and no 40lbs wing.
The TSB i understand is the install of better suited pistons for our climate.
Yeah my sis took her zx5 in for the same reason and they replaced them under warrenty! :D
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
my zx3 hatch is either gettin real heavy its closing on its own, or my struts are not holding the hatch very well anymore. I'm 2002, so I'm still covered under warranty.
My other ride is your Mom
I had the same problem with the wrap around wing.. But I just had it removed and now the hatch stays open perfectly again. But definitely check out what kind of warranty replacement you can get if there's a TSB out on it.
If my car is a 2000 ZX3 with 86000km on it do I qualify for the TSB? Also what does TSB stand for?
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?...act&Acronym=TSB

TSB : Technical Service Bulletin

If they used the same gas shocks on all years then it should apply to anyone with a hatch.. I dont know what this TSB is though, you'd have to find the number for it but they should have it on a file at a dealership service area.
I checked OASIS and the TSB board. Didn't find anything about the hatch struts.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Those pistons could be considered wear items what happens at the dealer will depend on how the two of you get along. They start to wear out as debris gets into seals and cold just makes it worse. For the record the ones on my old wagon went 10 years before I had to change.

Good news is they aren't stupid expensive and are an off the shelf item at places like Crappy Tire. I's an easy DIY job and the trick is to change one at a time not both at once. ;)

I have to say I am shocked to hear your wing is 40lbs! Is that true?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Is that wing really 40lbs? <_<

Is so...its coming off. haha

Just for the record....I have no problem with it. My driveway is a really steep hill to....never closes on me. Couldnt tell ya about winter since it doesnt see that white s**t.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
It's not really 40lbs.. it's just the fact that the gas struts on the hatch were designed for the weight of the hatch itself. The weight it put on the hatch that was never meant to be there.

The wing is actually hollow though, and it's not heavy.. (I recently had mine removed and I carried it into the house, didnt need a forklift :D )
:lol: :lol: forklift... made me laugh out loud... good one ;)
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
guilty,Aug 17 2004, 11:55 AM Wrote:It's not really 40lbs.. it's just the fact that the gas struts on the hatch were designed for the weight of the hatch itself. The weight it put on the hatch that was never meant to be there.

The wing is actually hollow though, and it's not heavy.. (I recently had mine removed and I carried it into the house, didnt need a forklift :D )
:lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Motorize the hatch that would be kewl ;)
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
No it's not 40lbs but the cross section is a triangle and it's hollow in the middle. It's made of urethane, but the walls are like 1/2" to 3/4" thick. It was at least 5 i would say.

Anyways how would I find the proper (maybe stronger) pistons at crappy tire?
Maybe check what kind of load rating the stock ones can take, and then check the replacements.. Now I'd have no idea where to find numbers like that. Another solution might be to talk to the guys at redlinetuning.com, they sell those hood shock conversion kits for a bunch of different cars.. they'd know all about strengths and stuff, and probably have some sweet pistons too. It would most definitely be pricier, but it might be more professional.
On the subject of..............

Didn't I see somewhere that you can get a piston kit for your hood too? replaces the "lazy arm" or "prop" or whatever those things are called?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Aug 17 2004, 01:41 PM Wrote:Didn't I see somewhere that you can get a piston kit for your hood too? replaces the "lazy arm" or "prop" or whatever those things are called?
Duuuuude.. didnt I just mention redlinetuning.com? :P

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-FOC-ALL.html

I think they had a group buy on focaljet a while ago so there should be a lot of people on there that could give good reviews of the product.
Nope couldn't have been you, I usually just skip over your posts.

:P
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hatch Pistons Question MAlby7 1 992 09-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Raine