Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Troubles
Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem with road noise, i think its comming off my tires... ill try to describe it as best as possible and if someone could help me find out what it is that would be great. Basically, this started a little bit after i took my winter rims/tires off, i was getting this humming noise from i believe to be my back tires but it could be the fronts too... its more noticeable over 100km/h but its still there at low speeds... its not ordinary road noise cause its annoying humming noise, but when i turn to the left it goes away, and when i turn to the right its slightly worse. I thought it might be something rubbing, but i havent been able to find anything yet. I was wondering if anyone could know what this was before i take it to the shop to check it out.. Its extremly annoying, cause the humm is so high pitched you can hear it over and aftermarket stereo set even when its cranked... Really weird. Also ive had an alignment done since the winter tires, so i dont beleive its that. It could be the tires cause when i got 2 new front tires.. the tires they switched from front to back were apparently worn away on the outside edge due to the alighnment being slightly off. Well i think thats all for now... Thanks for reading my ramble. Any help would be appreciated and if you need more info let me know.. Thanks guys.

Paul.
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - 4 * 6x8 Pioneer 3Way Speakers, 1 * Kenwood 10 pounder, 1 * R.F 200 Watt AMP, Panasonic 783U Deck, Steeda.ca Short Shifter, Pedals, CAI. Soon to come magnaflow exaust, throttle body, SCT Chip with Steeda Tune, 1 X R.F 1200 Watt 4 channel amp.
Sounds like your belts in the tires have shifted and are causing the annoying noise. I know all about this since I drive an F150 with oversized noisy belt shifted tires--but I am going for this effect.

Only way to get rid of it is to replace them.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Have you checked your wheel bearings ?? When they are going they make a similiar "humming" noise. My two cents ?? - something to check though.
Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Dose it get louder as you excellerate???
Are your tires like really new???

i know my tires did it for a little while after i got them but after i whore hem down a little it went away....the humming noise could also be coming from your altenater ....its called a ( altenater wine ) but thats just my 2 pennies

good luck

tyler
This car is insured by the maffia you hit me they hit you.
Hmmm, it does get louder when i go faster but its more comming from the back of the car so i dont think its the alternator. As for bearings... how long do they usually last for i only have about 75,000km on the focus.... god damn ford heh. Anyways, it could be the tire belts... crappy tire 90$ tires were crap when i bought them and probably causeing the problem now... I hope i can solve this soon.. If you have any more input id love to hear it... Thanks guys

Paul
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - 4 * 6x8 Pioneer 3Way Speakers, 1 * Kenwood 10 pounder, 1 * R.F 200 Watt AMP, Panasonic 783U Deck, Steeda.ca Short Shifter, Pedals, CAI. Soon to come magnaflow exaust, throttle body, SCT Chip with Steeda Tune, 1 X R.F 1200 Watt 4 channel amp.
you cant hear the altenater wine from the front.....it comes from your speakers....i know it sounds weard but it dose......

try driving and then listen for it when you are switching gearsif its not the altenater ...you will hear it through the prosess of switching gears.....try thatand see what happens

good luck

tyler
This car is insured by the maffia you hit me they hit you.
My son works as an apprentice at Canadian Tire. He'll tell you to never buy there tires because of belt slippage. Spend the extra bucks and get a decent set of tires.

iceblaza,May 25 2004, 11:30 AM Wrote:As for bearings... how long do they usually last for i only have about 75,000km on the focus.... god damn ford heh.
I see your car is a 2000. Rear wheel bearings were a recall item a couple years ago did you get it done?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Hmm i didnt get the recall done for the bearings... as far as i know id ont have any outstanding recalls on my car. The only reason i bought canadian tire tires is because i get a discount... i have to new toyo tires on my front, and some ghey goodyear eagle gps on the back... so i guess ive narrowed it down to crappy tires or a bearing recall... hmm for some reason ford just called me to ask how my latest service went. So i told them about the problem and they said that i could bring the car in and go for a drive with a mechanic and he can tell me the problem. Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciated.

Paul.
iceblaza,May 25 2004, 04:24 PM Wrote:... i have to new toyo tires on my front, and some ghey goodyear eagle gps on the back...
Not an ideal situation, everyone here would strongly recommend getting all four corners the same.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Yea, i think if tires are the prob then ill put new toyos on the rear also... or rotate front to back, then trow away the gps... the only reason i did this is because the 2 new tires were a birthday gift. I wanted to get all 4 but i couldnt... the toyos are have only been driven for maybe 4 months.

Thanks for you help man. I just hope its nothing expensive to fix.. i hate repairs.
If you get a discount at Can. tire, they can order in any tire you want. I know this because i too get the discount and my BFG's 270 75 16's are not exactly a stock item and the boy gets em for me for 850 (4) installed, balanced and taxes.
Get the discount and get the good stuff.

meford4u,May 25 2004, 02:31 PM Wrote:get the good stuff.
Okay that made me puke ;)
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub