Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to change the timing belt?
My '03 ZTS just passed the 200k mark. It isn't acting strange in any way, but my mechanic mentioned I should be thinking about replacing the timing belt... is there any reason why? Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
yeah take the cover off and cheack it for cracks!!

has it ever been changed before? usually it's every 100K to change it

and it won't show signs by "acting up" it will just break and your motor will be done for
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
Not true Gord. The ZETEC is a non-interference engine. The belt can break, leave you stranded but still be ok for a new belt. While you are replacing the timing belt replace the water pump at the same time. It runs off the timing belt.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
I'll have a look at it tonight.

I bought the car with 145k on it about 3 yrs ago and they didn't mention anything about getting it replaced. Sounds like it might be a good idea then...
D'oh i was thinking it was an SPI
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
Funny story there... I had it in at the Ford dealer last summer for a new water pump, after they replaced it and put everything back together they decided I should replace the timing belt... and they were going to charge me $500 on top of what they just charged for the water pump/labour.... Gotta love the dealers....

So do you think I should get it replaced still?
funny thing is at Colony Ford in Brampton they only charged me $320 for a water pump replacement, and mine was really really bad when I finally took it in for it. but yeah I did my timing belt last year at 220,000kms the thing about the Zetec motors is they can go a while before needing maintance, and when they need it trust me it can get up there...
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing Belt/Chain Lucster1000 4 4,777 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  svt timing belt sonic_mikey 6 6,422 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  Timing Belt?or Serpentine? konafocuswrc 38 18,437 05-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Last Post: malim
  Timing Belt grimshaw 5 2,371 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Last Post: PerfectSaiyan