Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I guess I live under a rock
I saw a deep red 2012 Focus hatch with EAPs.
I couldn't believe how much I was drawn to it. Check the Ford site and there was nothing but Foci sedans.
Dropped by Kennedy Ford, was shown the Titanium edition, it's OK. I was pumped though to be told the RS is slated for the fall. I was put on the list for updates, I might consider unloading the Rabbit for an RS.
i rented a '12 focus sedan and TBH I didn't think they were that great. Faster than my focus, yeah but didn't feel quicker around corners. I was actually glad to get back into my focus when I got it back.

just sayin'
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Interesting. The interior is certainly agreeable.
I guess my memories of my wagon are skewed, I did change out the suspension for a full sport kit. The handling was noticeable different.

Do you think the sedan would handle differently from the hatch?
honestly, no clue. I just know that with the way new cars are being built these days I'd never get one.

If you're serious about getting one, just rent it from a car rental company for a day and beat the piss out of it and see if you like it. I know with the fusion I rented if I let off the gas pedal there was about .5-1.0 seconds of delay where the car would keep accelerating before it'd stop, and on a hill when I hit the gas pedal it'd roll back before it'd go forward. My manual focus didn't even roll back as far as it did.

So overall I am not impressed by the new fords at all.
Your rental Fusion did *what*? Confused

That's gotta be a defective car, if anything it was the 1 second delay when you pushed the accelerator down that drove me to retune the thing...

NefCanuck
it had less than 1000km on it, so it was a brand new car.

but yeah, let off the gas and then it'd take a half second or a full one for the car to respond and stop accelerating.
Weird, did you mention anything to the rental agency when you brought that possessed car back?

Thinking about it though, it could also have been one of the Fusions with the screwed up transmission...

NefCanuck
Nah, they didn't charge me for mileage so I didn't say anything (truthfully, I didn't remember to and thought it was just a thing fusions do)
I really dislike that they roll back too though... going from brake to gas with a clutch I roll back less in my focus than this did before it'd 'catch' and go forward (only tested it in drive). I can't remember if it was the focus or the fusion that did it, but the focus was still a "meh" for me.
My old truck would practically come to a complete stop once you were off the gas. Get behind the wheel of something else and I'd have to be careful not to rear-end someone. Was the delay in acceleration the motor not moving or the transmission not engaging?
TBH I thought the trans was disengaging or something while the brakes were applied at lights and that was what happening was it reengaging or 'waking up' or something of the sort.

at least, that's what it felt like.

as for accelerating, I don't recall it for sure but I do seem to believe there was also a bit of delay to the car accelerating. It wasn't instant response that's for sure.
I'm looking forward to taking a couple of the '12s out for a rip this week - Stockfish has a few finally. I drove the Fiesta and was suitably impressed. I'm hoping the Focus is something that might actually drive me to consider picking one up once the 1-year lease cars come up. Or, I'll go all out and get a '12 ST and relegate the '00 to pure project car / track car. Time will tell. I'm prepping the '00 as my 2nd-up car / around-town car thanks to the bloody gas prices.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Wasn't a Fusion Hybrid with regenerative braking that Mystake is talking about?
it was a 2010 Fusion S with a I4 and automatic
One of my friends just acquired a new 2012 with the DSG. I'm curious to give it a rip sometime, though I don't think I'll be trading in my 03 for one anytime soon (to broke ass). Her Grandparents bought it for her, outright. I'm a little jealous.