Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modded Focus Passing Emissions
As we all know the emissions in southern Ontario have gotten a little ridiculous in requirements.

They want the car scanned through the OBD2 port to check the systems to see if they are in the "Ready" position.
This means many miles of driving in city and highway use for a couple of days. Some say after getting work done on the car or after the battery is disconnected/drained the system is reset and it needs to be driven to have all the systems reading properly.

To the main topic. We mod and we want it to drive some what legal. So on the Duratec motors we have 2 O2 sensors, a EGR regulator and some system/device on the firewall that reads proper fuel quality IIRC...
The EGR regulator is off of the Head that is suppose to be blocked off when boost is added and is shut off with the rear O2 sensor when tuned.

I plan on Boosting my Duratec, clearly seen and heard in other posts. And I wish to have it run legal with smog regulations. Since there is no sniffer they are really just checking to see if the "Ready" systems are good to go and what the O2 sensors are reading.
Would I just get my normal performance high boosted tune for running the way I want to. Then get a tune with all the EGR's turned on and put a Heavy Catalytic Converter on in between the 2 O2 sensors.
Even though it would be tuned, does anyone think this will work or know that it will work??
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Im in the same boat your in right now for emissions testing. The conclusion i have come up with is this. My tuner said with an SCT tune you can turn off 1 parameter and keep the ecu ready for scanning. Once EGR is removed that will be turned off, and no check engine light. Now with the rear O2 sensor, there is a couple different options.

O2 cheater, which i heard work sometimes. Because you have a duratec you can use a spark plug non fouler and put the O2 sensor in there. Because i have a zetec i am going to use the way Focussport recommended when they released the race header. Take out the rear O2 sensor and plug it with a bolt/plug. Put the O2 sensor in a ziploc bag and ziptie it somewhere underneath the car. Either in the engine bay or underneath the car will work fine

All the second 02 sensor reads is emissions. Whether it has clean air or not. So if it has atmospheric air, it reads no problem, and then no check engine light. Keep the cat off, considering the government doesnt care what is coming out of the tail pipe, just if an idiot light is on in the dash.

Hopefully this helps
Wow, that did help thanks.

Lol I can't believe that the rear O2 will read OK even open to the atmosphere.

Well I'll post up what happens when I get it running again and if you have the time let us know how yours fairs out too.
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

new etests are a sinch to pass. I drove my car to CT 5 minutes after starting it, they plugged in their ob2, took a pic of my plate and handed me my papers. done.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
(10-16-2013, 07:26 AM)Flofocus Wrote: new etests are a sinch to pass. I drove my car to CT 5 minutes after starting it, they plugged in their ob2, took a pic of my plate and handed me my papers. done.

Is your car tuned or stock for the most part?

I took my tune off , waited like 5 days then brought it in. Passed. I didn't even want to bother trying with the tune cause didn't feel like paying extra if it failed.
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
I passed with a Power works tune on my SVT, as long as the sensors are enabled via the ECU and either being faked by cheaters or reading right values I think you should be ok.

This new thing in etest may also let you pass, conditionally if the 2nd try is still not ready so long you don't have DTC's.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/...03062.html
Whatever you do, don't unplug your battery to reset CELs and then go in.
why not? that's exactly what I did.

(10-16-2013, 08:31 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 07:26 AM)Flofocus Wrote: new etests are a sinch to pass. I drove my car to CT 5 minutes after starting it, they plugged in their ob2, took a pic of my plate and handed me my papers. done.

Is your car tuned or stock for the most part?

heavily modified. injectors, fuel pump, bigger turbo, TBE, etc, etc.
I don't know if this helps but my neighbours '04 Nissan Sentra SE-R doesn't have the o2 sensors in the right place, so it flags a code. He went twice to get it tested and cleared it twice beforehand but it kept coming up. Long story short, he got a conditional pass, as he would have to pay over $450 to get everything fixed. Which is classified as a legal emission test. (somehow) I don't know exactly how it works.. I can talk to him next week as he's gone away for work to see if I can get more info from him if you're interested in trying to go that route. (this is from Shelburne, Ontario -Shelburne auto Center )
Yeah if the rear 02 sensors are blown or not functioning they will throw a code, so you put a good one in the rear, and let it read atmosphere. I havent done it personally but ive seen it on focaljet on all motor zetecs, and turbo zetecs.
the etest guy told me that he's never failed a car with no CEL Lights on. said that if you don't have any active CEL's he may as well not even bother hooking up the obd2 and hand over your pass papers. its that easy to pass.

I started the car, drove it from the park and ride to CT. Drove it hard to warm everything up good. threw a cell on the way, which I suspect was overboost as that is what it always is on my car...cleared code, let car idle, hook up obd2 and passed.

wish it was like that with my focus. what a pita to get that thing to pass with the old sniffer test.
Me and my boss specialize in getting cars to pass etest lol. First and foremost your allowed to have 1 monitor not ready, as long as its not the cat or o2 sensors, IIRC. We've done double spark plug anti fouler on an audi A4 (drill out one and screw them both together). If you have EVAP issues, most systems wont do an EVAP check if your over 3/4 tank or under 1/4. There was a thread somewhere how to make your own electronic O2 cheater, but i dont remember were i saw it :S.
This is all good news and is looking good for the Focus to be on the road lol.

Mike, maybe when it's on the road I'll had it over to you.

Thanks guys.