Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking Brake Cables?
Wife had her car in for its normal service/oil change.

Of course, Ford finds a problem.. the parking/emergency brake cables are seized.

So they want to fix it for *drum roll please* $500! I just about choked when he told me that. I'm so glad I took that phone call and not her.

My ass $500 to change out cables.

Now, where is a good place to get them? Called crappy tire and partsource, both priced at about $40 for each cable but of course, neither place have them in stock, and wouldn't get them until the next day.

Any suggestions where to get them? Possibly cheaper, and hopefully on hand somewhere?

Oh yeah, and there is a build up of corrosion on the rear drums that don't allow the rims to sit correctly...umm.. no thanks. Not giving them more money for something I can do in 10 minutes with a steel brush.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Try an autoparts store like NAPA or Carquest. If they don't have them in stock they can pick them up this afternoon from somewhere.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Was she using the parking brake regularly prior to this? :huh:

A seized/sticking parking brake cable is usually one of the major signs of disuse of the parking brake (Thanks to my dad drilling that bit into my head I *always* set my parking brake, never had a problem)

NefCanuck
Did they say which cables it is. The center assembly from ford is not too much.
YS4Z2A603AB T type end $55.83
1M5Z2A603AA Ball type end $47.58
These are the main ones that seize up
[Image: style2,duratec-spc-power.png]
Nope she doesn't use the parking brake.

And no, they didn't say which ones seized. They just said that "both cables are seized".

May as well just change them both since I'll be under the car, and who knows how much life is left in any of the cabling that may be working.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
I got mine from the ford dealer it was around $60

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  parking brake cables 2DXTRM 4 4,752 12-31-2010, 02:19 AM
Last Post: 2DXTRM