Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screw Up At Legal Aid Ontario
Today when the mail arrived I got an envelope handed to me by the secretary from our funder Legal Aid Ontario marked "Personal and Confidental"

Normally these things are much ado about nothing but this time unfortunately, someone screwed up big time...

Seems that someone at the head office in Toronto was trying to send a file by email including my entire offices salary list and identifying information to a person working at home.

The person at head office pooched the email address and it got sent to someone else entirely and now they've been trying to get the person to whom the file was accidentally sent to respond but so far no response has been received :ph34r:

So, now the question is: Who has the file and what are they going to do with it :blink: (and why wasn't this file sent encrypted? <_<)

NefCanuck
lol...our admin did the exact same thing. She sent out a spreadsheet with everybodies reviews and pay raises by accident. I thought it was funny.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
that's pretty funny...

one day, when I lived in TBay, we were getting non-stop calls from a fax machine, so I figured, what the hell, let's turn the computer on, and set it to receive.

So we receive the faxes, and it's a quote for a contract from a direct competitor of my mom's company. What are the chances? Pretty good!

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Its only a salary list. who cares. Anyone who works for the government has their wages and gross earnings put on the internet for all to see every year. I never got the option to keep my salary confidental.
vy_MR2,May 5 2007, 01:41 PM Wrote:Its only a salary list. who cares. Anyone who works for the government has their wages and gross earnings put on the internet for all to see every year. I never got the option to keep my salary confidental.
[right][snapback]237481[/snapback][/right]

If it was only my salary that was on the list and I was sure that they didn't have additional identifying stuff in that file, I wouldn't give two craps, but my problem is that I don't trust that this is the only info in the file and all it would take is one additional piece, like my SIN # to make it useful for ID theft.

and the "sunshine law" only applies to Ontario government employees making $100K or more so to you I say :blink: and would you like to adopt me? :lol:

NefCanuck
I make 33000 a year , dont care who knows it sucks that your sin number and all that is on it hope it only goes this far.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
I already have a son, and child support is enough as it is :lol:

You are right about the SIN #. Thats the worst thing to be released as far as I'm concerned. I wish my salary wasn't posted because it is MY salary. No one has a right to know what I make unless I tell them.
All I've got to say is that those in public sector jobs should have ZERO gripes about their salaries being public knowledge. Perhaps not a direct "face to a salary" thing, but positions and pay slots... definitely.

When it's taxpayer dollars footing the bill, we have a right to know.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Update - (for those of you still reading this thread :P)

Got another brown manilla envelope from Legal Aid today, turns out that they finally did make contact with the person to whom the file was accidentally forwarded and they have assured Legal Aid that they didn't even look at the data, much less keep it on their system.

So I suppose all's well that ends well... except for the meathead who mis-directed the file in the first place... I smell a lynch mob forming :lol:

As to my salary being public knowledge -shrugs- that I have no issues with, ID'ing me & my salary linked together? Err... not so much thanks :P

NefCanuck
I work at a nuclear power plant. Electricity is subsidized so the taxpayers arn't paying enough money to support the actual cost of production. Secondly, I am also a taxpayer. I paid 37 grand in tax last year. With that in mind, the taxpayers money isnt going where it is suppose to so no, My salary should still be confidential. Only if the money that you and everyone else is Canada pays, goes towards the true cost of providing you with all your luxeries, then perhaps you should know my salary.
vy_MR2,May 8 2007, 11:24 AM Wrote:I work at a nuclear power plant. Electricity is subsidized so the taxpayers arn't paying enough money to support the actual cost of production. Secondly, I am also a taxpayer. I paid 37 grand in tax last year. With that in mind, the taxpayers money isnt going where it is suppose to so no, My salary should still be confidential. Only if the money that you and everyone else is Canada pays, goes towards the true cost of providing you with all your luxeries, then perhaps you should know my salary.
[right][snapback]237744[/snapback][/right]

So because you're only subsidized, it's none of our business? Give me a break.

We can't be held responsible for the fact that power generation isn't fully public. We can, however, hold those who draw even a portion of their paycheques from the public coffers accountable. And by accountable I mean a NON-IDENTIFIABLE salary list.

The sunshine list is the tip of the iceberg.

Also, I don't like your insinuation about my luxuries. I hope you're either off the grid or feeding your own solar-generated power back into the grid with an attitude like that. We're pretty judicious here about power use - washing only when we have full loads of laundry, drying only on cold (winter) / rainy days, full CFL deployment for the house (has been for over 3 years now), heated by natural gas with a tiny bit of supplemental baseboard (set at 13C) in the far corners of the house.

I don't really need to justify "my" luxuries to you, but apparently you've forgotten where a portion of your paycheque comes from. Or you just don't give a s***. Either way, public money is just that... public. Deal with it.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal Help! Ontario oldeguy 4 1,608 09-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Flofocus