Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension Upgrade
So this is my story I have set aside money for swaybars (im getting them next week) But i'm wondering if this is a good upgrade? I'm getting the Eibach set (22f and 25r) Would this be noticable on my car? its a 07 ST (so its got stiffer dampers and a higher front spring rate) I thought about lowering but dont really want to because of the crap roads I use. I guess I need to know if im just tossing money away..

Thanks
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
I am not sure of this but can you use the Eibach sway bars on a stock suspension set up or do you need the corisponding springs for them to fit correctly?
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
It'll have it cornering flatter but with a tendency to oversteer at the limit, more so than stock.

You should enjoy it. :)

Good luck!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 28 2007, 11:30 AM Wrote:It'll have it cornering flatter but with a tendency to oversteer at the limit, more so than stock.

You should enjoy it. :)

Good luck!
[right][snapback]236626[/snapback][/right]
Well thats the main thing I want the car to stay flat! Would these swaybars help me corner better? Say I can take a corner at 50km would I be able to take it at 60?

thanks
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Cornering flatter adjusts the way the car behaves in the corner at the very least. This means that you may feel more confident in the corner, driving closer to 10/10ths but when you hit that upper limit of adhesion - BAM!

So, you may feel more confident and more capable with less pronounced body roll, but I'm not sure it would be enough to raise overall cornering performance. For that, new suspension bits and definitely stickier tires / wider tires are where you want to look.

It's nice to corner flatter (and look cool doing it too!), but swaybars alone on a street car aren't enough to dramatically improve cornering performance.

Someone from the track world please correct me if I'm wrong about this. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
i've heard that a 22/25 is a great all around setup if that helps....that's what I plan for my car...
2001 Sangria Red ZTS, Zetec 5-spd, key gouges on hood and passenger fender (thanks idiots!Wink

Drivetrain and chassis: CAI, Steeda STS

Interior and exterior: Blacked out sidemarker lens, blacked out tailights, blacked out 3rd brake light, de-badged, cobra 40 ch. CB, Sirius

VA3RBV, Basic class licence!
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 28 2007, 12:49 PM Wrote:Cornering flatter adjusts the way the car behaves in the corner at the very least. This means that you may feel more confident in the corner, driving closer to 10/10ths but when you hit that upper limit of adhesion - BAM!

So, you may feel more confident and more capable with less pronounced body roll, but I'm not sure it would be enough to raise overall cornering performance. For that, new suspension bits and definitely stickier tires / wider tires are where you want to look.

It's nice to corner flatter (and look cool doing it too!), but swaybars alone on a street car aren't enough to dramatically improve cornering performance.

Someone from the track world please correct me if I'm wrong about this. :)
[right][snapback]236632[/snapback][/right]

Hay whats up?! Thanks for your info, there was someone else on this thread who said

"I am not sure of this but can you use the Eibach sway bars on a stock suspension set up or do you need the corisponding springs for them to fit correctly? "

Is that true? I thought the front swaybar tided into the swaybar links that are attached to the struts? and the rear is attached to the shocks?
Do I have to get the springs??? I hope I can just use the swaybars!!
If you know could you give me the heads up!

Don't spend money on just the swaybars...unless you have no funds to do more than that. I would save your money a bit longer and buy a complete suspension package. Ones like the SHM kit or the Eibach Pro System Plus, will both take your car beyond stock capabilities, as well as beyond the abilities of the stock SVT too.

What year is your car? I'm not 100% sure that the kits I mentioned can be used on the ST, as I think they were different than the 1st gen Foci...and that'll stop you from using some kits...

L8tz
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Drivesthebeast,Apr 29 2007, 05:49 PM Wrote:Don't spend money on just the swaybars...unless you have no funds to do more than that.  I would save your money a bit longer and buy a complete suspension package.  Ones like the SHM kit or the Eibach Pro System Plus, will both take your car beyond stock capabilities, as well as beyond the abilities of the stock SVT too. 

What year is your car?  I'm not 100% sure that the kits I mentioned can be used on the ST, as I think they were different than the 1st gen Foci...and that'll stop you from using some kits...

L8tz
[right][snapback]236764[/snapback][/right]

Well I was going to see how what type of improvement it made first and if I liked it I would just leave at that, but if I didnt feel it was enouph I would get the Koni adjustable dampers. The problem im having is I cant find any info on the spring rates of stock ST springs vs aftermarket, thats the only way I would consider lowering the car.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  *new Pics* Suspension And Brake Upgrade Progress Oscar The Grouch 30 11,451 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Oscar The Grouch