Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Thought To Consider
How hard does everyone figure it would be to just put an aftermarket system in? A new headunit at the very least, anyways.

As much as I'm a fan of Ford quality, for the cost I'll pass and just put a new HU in myself.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 27 2006, 03:29 PM Wrote:How hard does everyone figure it would be to just put an aftermarket system in? A new headunit at the very least, anyways.

As much as I'm a fan of Ford quality, for the cost I'll pass and just put a new HU in myself.
[right][snapback]217649[/snapback][/right]

Given that the 05+ has a two DIN opening it would be a lot easier to do a swap than on teh previous gen Focus. Having said that, if you are leasing the car you'll want to take extra care in how you wire it all up so that you can restore everything the way it was at lease end.

Have you given any thought to the Ford iTrip accessory? It would let you use an iPod in the car and it can control the iPod through both the stereo & the steering wheel controls. That would make the most sense if you're not seriously looking at tearing the car apart to upgrade the sound system...

NefCanuck
Well, unless the finance payments exceed my comfort level (which means next to no modding as well), we'll be financing it.

And no offense meant, but I abhor iPods. If it will let you use ANY portable, mainstream large storage device (Creative Zen, etc)... I'll consider it. But if the stock single-disc stereo is seriously weaksauce... I'd rather just replace it.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 27 2006, 03:55 PM Wrote:Well, unless the finance payments exceed my comfort level (which means next to no modding as well), we'll be financing it.

And no offense meant, but I abhor iPods. If it will let you use ANY portable, mainstream large storage device (Creative Zen, etc)... I'll consider it. But if the stock single-disc stereo is seriously weaksauce... I'd rather just replace it.
[right][snapback]217653[/snapback][/right]

Ah, didn't realize you were looking to buy the car outright.... I'm not sure about whether the iTrip is iPod specific but I'd lay odds with that name it probably is :huh:

Meh, if mine had the mp3 capability from the get go I would have stayed with the single CD system. I don't think there is any great difference in the power output between the two decks (That I ever noticed)

NefCanuck
So, it looks like 3 days till we take delivery. I'm going to be a basket case by 4:30 Thursday afternoon... we're due for pickup at 5PM. :ph34r:

NOS2Go4Me,Nov 27 2006, 07:55 PM Wrote:I'm going to be a basket case by 4:30 Thursday afternoon...
[right][snapback]217681[/snapback][/right]

Switch to decaf. :lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I feel your anxiety...
I'm still waiting for the delivery of my '07 CD Silver ST.
I had to order it since there were none for about a 1000Km radius!
So, it has been built (Nov.15th) so it might be in shipment right now, i hope.
As for the radio, I say chuck it out and upgrade. I'm probably getting the Jensen VM9021TS which should cost me about 650$ Cnd.
Look it up, it's a nice unit.
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 27 2006, 06:55 PM Wrote:So, it looks like 3 days till we take delivery. I'm going to be a basket case by 4:30 Thursday afternoon... we're due for pickup at 5PM. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]217681[/snapback][/right]

Ah, the new car shakes, yeah, been there, done that, I suggest thinking about anything else but the new car until you have it in your hands ;)

NefCanuck
The anticipation is getting bad, but being this positive about it helps (they can't f*** it up, it's in stock on the lot with a Sold sign on it by now).

I'll likely go get a "before" shot of it sitting there tonight after work, if it's outside.

All I can say is that the heated seats on the SES are awesome!!!

Enjoy the new car!
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
love my new focus except now. maybe its because it never gets cold here but my locks won't unlock. the key has play in the lock but the it still won't unlock
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 29 2006, 02:33 PM Wrote:The anticipation is getting bad, but being this positive about it helps (they can't f*** it up, it's in stock on the lot with a Sold sign on it by now).

I'll likely go get a "before" shot of it sitting there tonight after work, if it's outside.
[right][snapback]217905[/snapback][/right]

Dood. it's essentially the SAME car you're driving now! :lol:
Yeah, but I'm looking forward to the MORE POWAH. DuraPOWAH. :D

And it's the first new new car I've / we've ever owned :)

Well, you damn well enjoy it too man!

lol

Umm, perhaps you noticed that I have a somewhat Gucci HU for sale elsewhere on this site...>nudge

I like what companies like Focussport is doing with the duratec, and it's possibilites will soon dwarf the Zetec...

Hope that all goes well and works out for you!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I'll check that out, man. But honestly... this tapped a few reserves (had to cover the rest of our lien) and my spending is horribly curtailed until at least the end of January.

Personally, I love that GT you picked up. If we weren't planning on little modders, we'd grab a coupe for sure :) Good luck with that man! Also, did you look at extending the bumper-to-bumper since you're under the 20K limit? Or has the 1 year timeframe come and gone.

We'll be doing that fo sho... cranking everything up to 7 years coverage if we can get the "ignore the intake/exhaust" understanding going with the dealer.

ZX5chica,Nov 29 2006, 03:01 PM Wrote:All I can say is that the heated seats on the SES are awesome!!!

Enjoy the new car!
[right][snapback]217927[/snapback][/right]

x2 on the heated seats. Nothing like a nice warming sensation coming up through you on a cold morning rather than waiting for the "waste" heat from the car to warm you up :D

Hell, some days I don't even bother running much cabin heat, I just enjoy the seat warmer instead ;)

NefCanuck