Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveshaft Needs Replacing..
I got a quote from Speed Muffler today that my Driveshafts on both sides were the cause of my pounding on my wheels everytime I turned.

Told me both would cost 289 ea LF and RF to replace so total $655.27 parts+labour after tax

I phoned around to see how much the parts actually cost.

Ford: $419 ea.
NAPPA: $139 ea.
Canadian Tire: $129 ea.
Part Source: $125 ea. (Fenco brand, Lifetime warranty).

I looked up how to replace them myself and it doesn't look that all bad, just need to get the right torque wrench and Pickle fork. The rest of the tools I have for the most part.

Should I avoid screwing around with this DIY or should I get it done by Speedy since the Labour will cost me around $330 give or take?

if you have the right tools, I say tackle it yourself. Its not that complicated of a job.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
DIY FTW. As long as you have the correct tools and the time, you should be good to go. I would do it myself. I have done it before, on my first car. An 81 Buick Skylark. I was 17 and it wasn't that hard. But that was a long time ago.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Alright, I'm still inexperienced when it comes to the Focus but can you not just replace/rebuild the CV? Or are the CV's permanently attached to the axle? Clunking while turning is usually an outer CV.

In the VW world nine times out of 10 a rebuild with some fresh grease and a new boot (if needed) will do the trick.

-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
Scourge,Oct 10 2009, 07:38 PM Wrote:Alright, I'm still inexperienced when it comes to the Focus but can you not just replace/rebuild the CV?  Or are the CV's permanently attached to the axle?  Clunking while turning is usually an outer CV. 

In the VW world nine times out of 10 a rebuild with some fresh grease and a new boot (if needed) will do the trick.

-George
[right][snapback]295828[/snapback][/right]

I thought about this option but.. I'm fairly new at Auto mechanical work..

wondering if anyone here has done this before? I bought the driveshafts last week but problem is I don't know the right size for the torque wrench and I read up all these DIY guides and I still don't know if I should attempt this repair.
Its a lot better in the long run cheeper as well if you replace the complete shaft assemblies. You are on the right track my friend. Don't feel overwhelmed its easier than you are making it out to be. Don't be affraid.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
If you don't want to attempt it yourself then buy the parts from parts source (fenco actually makes really great parts + CDN Made) and then take it to speed muffler or anthor shop to do the labour.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Oct 23 2009, 09:40 AM Wrote:(fenco actually makes really great parts
[right][snapback]296342[/snapback][/right]

Yeah that's exactly the parts I bought. I think I'll make an attempt during a day that I'm off two-days in a row.

Quote:+ CDN Made)

http://216.46.27.115/content5.htm not exactly Canadian made, they manufacturer the parts in the states and Mexico.. pretty brutal if they're really a Canadian Company. I could use a better job, so what's the deal with these guys? haha.
Fenco does have a couple of factories here but since there pretty big I guess they out source some stuff im not sure. I guess different products different factories.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Its not that bad to do yourself I've been doing it myself after Midas did the bearings/breaks on my wagon and I had a REALLY bad vibration from the rear passenger.. as soon as we drove up the driveway in front of the Midas shop the rear wheel separated still attached to the drum...

Tools needed

1. New Driveshafts
2. Fluid Drain pan (as soon as you unsocket the driveshaft from the tranny fluid will drain)
3. Socket Set
4. Small handheld Sledge
5. 2x4 or 2x3 about a foot long
6. bottle of ATX Fluid

this next one is up to the owner
5. new teflon fitted driveshaft nuts (I replace them every time they are removed they degrade with age/heat, they say you can use them 1-3 times but $7 x 2 for the sanity that my wheel wont fall off is worth it)

id rather use the 2x4 + sledge method to dislodge the balljoint due to the many ball joint sac's ive come across being torn from using the pickle fork.. if you use the 2x4 method make sure to have the crown nut backed out to the point the top of the shank is flat with the top of the nut
Wagon #1- 01 SE Zetec Wagon (Harvest Gold) - Accident (Pillar Damage) Being transplanted into Wagon 2
Wagon #2- 01 SE Zetec Wagon (Harvest Gold) - (Being Parted) New Body for Wagon 1
Wagon #3- 02 SE Zetec Wagon (Twilight Blue)