Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honda, Mercedes Show Off New Clean-diesel Engines
Honda, Mercedes Show Off New Clean-Diesel Engines
The Daily Auto Insider
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
September 2006

Honda announced it has developed a “next-generation diesel engine” that reduces exhaust gas emissions to a level equal to a gasoline engine.

According to a company news release, the engine employs a “revolutionary” NOx catalytic converter that enables a great reduction in NOx emissions sufficient to meet stringent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Tier II Bin 5 emissions requirements (based on Honda's internal calculations).

Honda designed the catalytic converter for use with its 2.2 i-CTDi diesel engine, which was introduced in 2003 on the European Accord model.

Honda also said it plans to introduce its next-generation diesel engine in the U.S. within three years.

In related news, Mercedes-Benz said it intends to offer “Bluetec” diesel-powered versions of its M-, R- and GL-class sport-utility vehicles in the United States beginning in calendar year 2008.

Mercedes said in a news release that these SUVs are set to be the world's first diesel-powered vehicles to meet the Environmental Protection Agency's stringent BIN5 emissions standards for all 50 states.

Meanwhile, the Mercedes-Benz E320 "Bluetec" sedan will make its showroom debut in October 2006. It's powered by a 3.0-liter V-6 turbodiesel engine which Mercedes claims "combines the powerful torque of a large V-8 engine with the low fuel consumption of a four-cylinder compact."
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
So does this mean the Honda crowd finally gets a taste of torque? :D :rofl:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Diesels are going to be more and more prevalent as time goes on - and as an owner of one they're great.
Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
what's sad is that these things are becoming available because of new government emissions mandates.

And it doesn't seem to me at least that the auto industry is having that difficult a time meeting those mandates.

which makes me think that the government should set loftier goals...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Frost,
you are a wealth of information.

:banger: