Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrible Tires
My focus has the Goodyear Eagle factory tires on it. They were horrible from the beginning with poor grip. They've been on the car for 20,000kms now and they are bald and need to be replaced. I've filed with Ford to have them pay for part of the new tires because I just can't believe the tires should have worn out so quickly. Is this normal for these tires?

Anyway, my wife wants 16" wheels so I'm going to see if I can find a set of stock used ones and maybe just get those instead of dealing with Ford.
There are some for sale on this board.

Check the FOR SALE section.

Ps.

The Goodyears really do suck, however, I managed to get over 88k on mine BEFORE I started swapping out the summer wheels.
20k is what I got out of my khumos. That was with about 9-10 passes at the drag strip.

Im no tire expert, but they should have lasted longer than that!
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
the goodyears suck but..

the firehawks suck even more..

..the P6 pirellis are'nt exactly a stellar choice on the newer ones either!!

..good luck gettin Ford to pay for rubber...they dont even wanna pay for s*** under warranty, so I really wish you luck in gettin tire reimbursement!...
I know but it's worth a try. 20k is so sad, I had Yoko A520s on my old VW and I had about 50,000 on them. And I also know the problems getting warranty work done. We're in a remote community and whenever we do make it to a dealer, there is some delay and they can't fix it then, even when they have been told what is wrong in advance and I have time booked. Oh and the dealer told me that I should have rotating the tires every 5000kms instead of the 10,000kms on the maintenance schedule. And told me its very common for tires to wear out that quickly. Such a PITA.

microbunny,Sep 7 2006, 05:53 AM Wrote:the goodyears suck but..

the firehawks suck even more..

..the P6 pirellis are'nt exactly a stellar choice on the newer ones either!!

..good luck gettin Ford to pay for rubber...they dont even wanna pay for s*** under warranty, so I really wish you luck in gettin tire reimbursement!...
[right][snapback]205900[/snapback][/right]
Ask him "where in my manual does it say the focus requires tire rotation every 5k?"

Im reading the scheduled maintenance guide on ford.ca, and it clearly states tire rotation every 10k

"- Inspect Tires for Wear, Air Pressure (including Spare) and Rotate"
Oh, I did. I let them know politely that I was very disappointed and I followed what was stated in the manual. And she said I have to call ford customer service. Who in turn told me to send proof of rotation to the dealer. So we'll see.
I am trying to get some 16s on my own instead though.

Flofocus,Sep 7 2006, 06:14 AM Wrote:Ask him "where in my manual does it say the focus requires tire rotation every 5k?"

Im reading the scheduled maintenance guide on ford.ca, and it clearly states tire rotation every 10k

"- Inspect Tires for Wear, Air Pressure (including Spare) and Rotate"
[right][snapback]205911[/snapback][/right]
well...like anthony already stated, theres lots of 16" combos in the For Sale section.
That sucks, but I can almost guarantee like Bunny said "Ford won't pay for $hit". Tires, along with brakes and the clutch are considered "consumable items" which means they will wear out sooner or later and if the vehicle is beyond a couple thousand KMs they don't care and will blame the wear on the driver or conditions.
ford_driver,Sep 7 2006, 08:46 AM Wrote:I've filed with Ford to have them pay for part of the new tires because I just can't believe the tires should have worn out so quickly. .
[right][snapback]205893[/snapback][/right]
You would need to deal with Goodyear and their warranty as Ford has nothing to do with the tires. The wife's ZTW has almost 30k on the P6's and still plenty of tread and grip for her, rotated every 10k. Best of luck.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Sep 7 2006, 12:08 PM Wrote:You would need to deal with Goodyear and their warranty as Ford has nothing to do with the tires.  The wife's ZTW has almost 30k on the P6's and still plenty of tread and grip for her, rotated every 10k.  Best of luck.
[right][snapback]205948[/snapback][/right]

Ditto - 56k on my wife's ZTW (P6) - same thing - rotated regularly and still plenty of tread left.

If you bought the car new you will have received a tire warranty brochure in your owner's folder - that will give you some insight as to what to expect.

Although CanadaSVT is correct in terms of whose warranty applies - if the tires are the OEM tires, then the Ford dealer is still the place to go for any warranty adjustments - I'm pretty sure the tire dealers can't do warranty replacements on OEM tires.

But if more than one tire is affected, which it sounds like it is, chances are any warranty claim would be rejected citing "driving pattern" as the cause. Good luck nonetheless.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
20k is pretty bad.. I've got around 45k on my stock Eagles and they're down to around 5/32s. The dealer will definitely try to say something about your driving patterns, assume you were burning them up, etc. They'll do everything in their power to avoid giving you a penny.. they must have "Worst Customer Service Awards" or something :P
You should actually be calling Goodyear, they warranty thier own tires. they will have you go down to a goodyear dealership, they will measure and usually work it out with car manufacturer to have them replaced for you..

Goodyear Canada: 1-800-387-3288
~~2000 Midnight Blue 5-speed ZX3~~

~*~Evo 3 Body Kit~*~17'' BSA Gunmetal Black rims~*~Cold Air Intake~*~Angel Eye Projector Headlights~*~7'' Yellow Fog Lights~*~Tinted Altezza Tails~*~PINK Underglow~*~

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
And all four tires were worn down equally? I seem to eat tires, but neglected to rotate my p6's until over 20k... needless to say the wear was my fault, which only had the front tires chewed... but if all four tires are chewed with such low km's, def give Goodyear a call and see what (if anything) they can do for you.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded