Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mg Built By A Chinese Company In Oklahoma
MG Built by a Chinese Company in Oklahoma!
The Daily Auto Insider
Thursday, July 13, 2006
July 2006

Nanjing Automobile (Group) Corp., a Chinese state-owned carmaker, said it is joining with two U.S. investment funds to build MG cars at a new plant in Oklahoma, according to a story in The Wall Street Journal.

Nanjing, which says it has $2 billion in financing for the endeavor, will own 49% of MG Motors North America Inc., with the other 51% being held by the two investment groups, Oklahoma Sovereign Development LLC and Davis Capital LLC, according to a spokesman for MG Motors. American and European operations for MG Motors will be based in Oklahoma City, 90 miles north of the site for the new MG factory in Ardmore, Okla.

Nanjing, which purchased the assets of the bankrupt MG Rover Group last year, plans to build a newly designed MG TF coupe starting in 2008. Nanjing said the coupe would compete with cars like the Mazda Miata, which sells for $20,000 to $25,000.

Nanjing Automobile also owns a former MG Rover plant in the U.K., where it also plans to produce MG-branded vehicles. MG cars will also be built at the company's factories in China.

It also will assemble a convertible TF Roadster version at MG's now-shut factory in Longbridge, England, and three sedan models in China.

MG, which stands for Morris Garages, began in the 1920s and its iconic TC convertible was a big hit in the United States after World War II.

MG was Britain's last independent auto manufacturer but had not produced a new model since 1998. In the 1960s, the company turned out 40 percent of the cars bought in Britain.

I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
[Image: bdepmi8147.jpg]

[Image: 9023_0000.jpg]
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

so let me get this straight, a Chinese owned company building British style sports cars built in Oklahoma, where the circus has been twice.

something doesn't add up.

'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Jul 13 2006, 06:57 PM Wrote:so let me get this straight, a Chinese owned company building British style sports cars built in Oklahoma, where the circus has been twice.

[right][snapback]197453[/snapback][/right]

this has build-quality issues written all over it
microbunny,Jul 13 2006, 09:28 PM Wrote:
FocusGuy7476,Jul 13 2006, 06:57 PM Wrote:so let me get this straight, a Chinese owned company building British style sports cars built in Oklahoma, where the circus has been twice.

[right][snapback]197453[/snapback][/right]

this has build-quality issues written all over it
[right][snapback]197469[/snapback][/right]

The company is Nanjing Automobile Group ... and not only are they based in China and backed by $2 billion in capital, they're actually owned by the Chinese government (as in the Communist Chinese government) ... Reagan must be spinning in his grave (and any number of British prime ministers too, come to think of it)
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
welcome to the new world order...

I wonder if the cars will be as safe as the land wind.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Hmmm

Bad British Design + Poor Chinese Quality Controls + Underskilled and Underpaid labour = Disaster
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin