Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Tech Forum As A Sub To Ot?
Just like the ubiquitous Bunny Cage, it'd be a forum for dedicated computer support (as opposed to rampant testosterone). There are a number of us here that are IT professionals, and I know a few of us have been tapped on for computer advice, support and general consultation.

Plus, it'd be a place to post up good deals on hardware and software and keep it out of OT where stuff disappears in a matter of days. New virus outbreaks, security flaws and important mainstream news could all be covered there.

Also, I'll happily volunteer my industry-created bulletins for substance - McAfee, Watchguard, Cisco, Microsoft et al.

:)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I'll chime in here with agreement. Too often computer topics in OT get buried rather quickly, but do we want this forum to be exclusively about computer related issues or would things like cell phone problems be okay as well? Just throwing that out there as there does seem to be a fair amount of traffic in those issues as well.

Maybe call it "Home & Mobile Electronics" or something?

NefCanuck
I think the OT forum is doing fine for these kind of things.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I'd rather see a complaint/bashing forum. To which I think I should be mod. :D
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I agree that offtopic usually covers various technology topics fairly well. Excessive offtopic subforums just makes the layers of the forum more complicated, and it's not like we have that many tech topics popping up very often. And even then, it's usually the same handful of people who are replying..
Just to add my two cents.....

I know on FF.com, we were thinking about doing this also but if you weigh in the amount of actual posts on this, plus as mentioned, there is already a dedicated 'not focus' ie: off topic forum already, there's no use to clutter up the site. There's a ton of computer forums out there already and this is a focus site.

If there was 5-10 posts a day on computer issues, then sure, it would be perfect but one every couple days or so, does't really warrant it.

Of course I know this isn't FF.com, just adding it in as I moderate over there as I'm sure most of you know.
DWEROFEWHVSDN ,Mzs CKJSDLNIYUVCJREWGNXN DCN

XSMCSDXUC89EUNREFDMNN SKD
NOIDU KJNBDASUNRCNYJHMN MN zH

SUIWHMHuznbzxn mn zn znznnsjhdwuidw7tewgsx
nbzmnasmndmnsUMJjamlhaedh nfnnsdnsxejeJMSER

EUIOJIXDDNDKLFETR;!

..Did you understand that>?

Didnt think so, thats what computer guru chat would look like to 95% of us on this board!

Not that its a bad idea, just to much for this type of forum!!
This is a car forum (or should be most of the time and not turned into a soap opera or a three ring circus)
We don't need another sub topic that is not directly car related. I realize that this is just an idea and puters are very important to you, but if any of us not in the know had a problem, those in the know are just a PM away.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
This is a CAR forum.

There has got to be a COMPUTER forum out there somewhere no?
adam..I like the idea..but its easier to just msn you and get an answer...alot quicker too!
Well, I figured it was appropriate to step outside the stodgy paradigm of "car club" and offer a bit more to the members. I just figured that since we actually have a diverse group of IT pros here, it would make sense.

There are plenty of PC forums out there, but I figured I didn't have a problem with offering pro bono help to the car club I tend to hang out at the most.

Oh well. :)

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Adam, you can still help anyone you want to and post as many tech topics as you want, there's nobody that's going to stop you from doing that. It's just that offtopic should be able to fill the need of a tech forum around here..
Oh I will dude, was just looking to step away from the clutter of OT is all. :)