Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God Damn Clutch
don't really thing this is 'performance' related... so i'll put it here...

alright... so... me thinks my clutch is toast.
starting from 0... my car SCREAMS to get any acceleration above 'granny take off' the clutch just ain't grabbin.
today, in 3rd... at 60km/h. i punched it (testing the clutch) and it didn't bog... it revved.. then caught.
so i'm up in the air here. am i looking at a full clutch replacement? disc? pressure plate?
i'm not a big tranny guy... so to me... sounds like both the disc and the pressure plate.
so here's the big pinch... i'm dirt poor, anyone have any idea where i can get replacements for around (and if there is a god... under $100) that'll set me up? i reeallly didn't wanna put any coin into the SPI...
Could be both, but your pressure plate might be OK. Sounds like you definitely need a disc, though.

Get a disc before you pull the engine/trans apart and assess the pressure plate at that time. If it isn't badly scored or warped, and the release fingers are all OK, it's probably reusable.

Hope this helps.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER reuse any part of your clutch system.

unless you are dumping the car at some shady used car lot, never to see it again within a week of finishing the job, it is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. if you are going to do it, do it right and just find the cheapest repkit you can find. just remember you NEED the throwout bearing aswell. nothing like cheaping out and finding out you didn't replace one part only to have it fail a month or 2 down the road!
good point. and seeing as at this point i can't really tell WHAT part it is exactly that's gone... i'm thinking i'll do a rebuild. anyone do a rebuild on an SPI? lol... anyone in the london area? anyone know where to get a cheap rebuild kit? planning a engine swap when the SPI dies... so having to do ANY work on it besides an intake and exhaust is a bitch... though i kinda did wanna do a performance clutch... just can't afford it. anyone also know of a clutch kit better than OEM for a decient price (still considering just throwing it on credit and worrying about it later)
Tough break man.

Look around at the wreckers. It's a long-shot, but you never know. :(
yeah sounds like the problem I had in my Audi, $1900 later it was fixed :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
I had my clutch replaced in my Sunbird years ago and that was close to grand.,
You can reuse clutch parts. It's done all the time.

For all you know at this point, it could be a leaky crank seal that has sprayed oil on, otherwise fine, disc/plate. From a best-guess point of view, however, it sounds like a skinny disc.

How many Km are on it? Because, sure, if it has gone 400,000K (or you are wealthy) I'd be inclined to replace everything. But often it can just be the disc. Pressure plates can be good for a couple of plates if removed/installed properly: get a manual and measure the tolerances before dumping the cash.

Even if it is only the disc, it would be a good idea to replace the throwout bearing too.

well... the clutch is apparently a lot worse than i thought it was. soon as it hut 100km/h... the clutch just fell apart. it's currently sitting at the side of the road halfway between london and grand bend... waiting to be towed. so much for doing it myself...
Wow... At a shame man. Well at least its fixed.
2000 ZX3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damn You Horn Damn You All To Hell Paparoach 5 1,820 07-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Last Post: meford4u