Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August 1st Is D-day For Me
Aka,Jul 7 2005, 01:53 PM Wrote:Macs with Intels? ew

moving away from that though...

I don't see a need to upgrade anymore. I don't game much anymore, I only play GTR FIA when I wanna drive the Nürburgring or something. The only place I see a need to upgrade, rather, expand, is harddrive space, I still gets tons of stuff. Also distributed computing, I run ClimatePrediction.Net, but even that I'm falling out of, I don't really care anymore. I certainly wont be buying any dedicated boxen anytime soon.

With the work, and the prospects of buying a car, my 3 computers are more than enough. Infact, I keep thinking of combining them into one and selling the rest. But I'm much too fond of my Dual 1.67 GHz to sell it and the 866 MHz Dell isn't worth anything, hell I got it free, with a monitor even.

My AMD XP 2500+ Barton is enough for me, though I did overclock it for a bit more. And if I stop gaming all together, or switch to consoles, I'll go straight to linux.

So yeah anyway, Dualcores, awesome, I'd love one, but I don't need the upgrade. It'll probably only happen when I find another $135 processor that offers the same as my current did when it was $135.

Edit: oops, it was actually $138 when I bought it, minor detail though.
[right][snapback]120028[/snapback][/right]

Actually I've got one box that does CPDN, and the rest (3 currently on my account) do Grid.org work, cancer-only.

I'd keep a dual 1.67GHz (Athlon MP 2000+ x2, no?) too, I don't blame you one bit.

Sara's running my Barton 2500+ right now @ 2GHz, but I'll probably get my new DFI Ultra-D board and the dual-core and give her my current A64 3200+ @ 2.5GHz and Asus A8V Deluxe board.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Aka,Jul 7 2005, 12:53 PM Wrote:Macs with Intels? ew[right][snapback]120028[/snapback][/right]

Wait for it, Apple has announced as of June 2006 they will be switching to Intel processors starting with there consumer line and by June 2007 the whole lineup should have Intel Inside ;) , I would have prefered to switch to AMD but I'm not in charge of Apple.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
K_OS,Jul 7 2005, 02:36 PM Wrote:I would have prefered to switch to AMD but I'm not in charge of Apple.

[right][snapback]120040[/snapback][/right]

I can't agree more... I'd want a computer and not a toaster oven with a fancy interface, too!

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 7 2005, 02:29 PM Wrote:Actually I've got one box that does CPDN, and the rest (3 currently on my account) do Grid.org work, cancer-only.

I'd keep a dual 1.67GHz (Athlon MP 2000+ x2, no?) too, I don't blame you one bit.

Sara's running my Barton 2500+ right now @ 2GHz, but I'll probably get my new DFI Ultra-D board and the dual-core and give her my current A64 3200+ @ 2.5GHz and Asus A8V Deluxe board.
[right][snapback]120038[/snapback][/right]
Nice, I've got my Barton at 2.2 Ghz (3200+)
And yes, Athlon MP 2000+ x2 :) *hugs it even though he's 15 miles from it and at work* heh, the case it's in is 30 lbs, and the actual parts inside weigh in at 15 lbs. 45 lbs.

K_OS,Jul 7 2005, 02:36 PM Wrote:Wait for it, Apple has announced as of June 2006 they will be switching to Intel processors starting with there consumer line and by June 2007 the whole lineup should have Intel Inside ;) , I would have prefered to switch to AMD but I'm not in charge of Apple.

[right][snapback]120040[/snapback][/right]
I knew that, hense me mentioning it.

I wonder how they'll limit it to their machines. What will they do to stop me from installing it on my x86 AMD?

Also, they went with Intel for a reason.... Intel can offer CPUs and chipsets, boards, the whole thing. AMD can't.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
AMD can, but can't meet demand. Even if they subbed in the ATi chipset... nope. The only way they could is a mass Nvidia deal, and Jobs vetoed that proposal.

I guess they didn't want low memory latency to go with their high-performance HT tunnels. :rolleyes:

AMD can meet demand. But I don't think AMD makes their own chipsets anymore, nor boards.

Anyway, I think Intel is the best solution for them right now anyway. Because they really needed to upgrade their laptops, and the Pentium M is THE chip to use for laptops currently. Once they're established in the x86 area, they can pick and choose more easily.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
I'm actually working on getting a slick A64 laptop (thinking eMachines) for work and ditching the 1.6GHz Pentium M "Dothan" box I have right now.

As for an example of what AMD chipsets are currently available - http://www.tyan.com - check under Opteron motherboards. :)

My dad has a pretty awesome laptop

its a compaq with a a64 3000+ 1gb ddr. Geforce??? widescreen. we picked it up like 4 or 5 months ago for like 1300
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Sweet, that's basically what I want, except with a A64 3400+ mobile and I'm not picky on the graphics.

i wish he got the 3400+... it was like 200.00 more at the time. best buy had a sale. but i really dont think a 3400+ ... hell a 3000+ was a necessity for ms word and quickbooks.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold