Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How bad is your focus's paint job?
I need a band-aid solution for my car and all the paint that has flaked off of it.

It's definitely not getting any better... and I did a walk around today of my car to check out the paint job and not a single panel doesn't need some form of paint work done to it.

More paint flaked off today when I took it to the coin op and I found scratch marks that are consistent with a brush but its the only spot on the car with them (they're all a few inches long)... so no clue where they're from.

Anyway, I'll have to do something about it this summer but as always I like to do my homework nice and early when it comes to my car so any suggestions are welcome!

edit: Here is the absolute worst of it. I didn't see it until I opened the pic on my laptop but looks like it needs more work than just a paint job...
[Image: 1300722991.jpg]
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Sorry to hear... My 01 is just as bad if not worse... I'm gonna be taking the little moldings along the doors and blend my paint lines in behind it... I'll also have to do a little filling and sanding... The Haynes ford focus manual has a very nice section on dent and paint repair!
once you do have it fixed, pickup some skirts or mudflaps for it and that problem won't be too much of an issue.
its not JUST that part though,

the paint cracked on my rear driver side fender, my rear bumper has a spider web crack in it, I have no clue how but it's from the inside out. The edge of my doors have some paint missing, there's some paint flaking off the bottom half of my rear passenger door, going up the quarter panels from the skirts is also paint flaking off, that i dont know how that happened, around the hatch trim in multiple sections there is paint bubbling, a spot of paint flaking away about the size of a quarter, opposite side has paint the size of a dime missing, bottom corner of yet another door, yet another spot of paint that is missing in a rear quarter panel (not sure how, but its the size of a grain of rice), and then there's a scratch on the driver sideskirt about halfway back and with a spot of paint about half the size of a dime missing.

At least it's got less rust than my Jeep, ahah
the only way to fix it all properly is to do a complete fix all rust and giver a freshening up im doing just that at the moment for the exact reason minor rust spots scratch's and cracked paint.

touch ups would work but will never match perfect bite the bullet and fix it properly

[Image: 196278_10150468723740393_502185392_17990...4276_n.jpg]
[Image: 197294_10150468723965393_502185392_17990...1812_n.jpg]
Hehe, I specifically said band-aid solution as my intentions down the road to have a complete paint job done. I'd like to go with a darker version of liquid grey Big Grin

but I need to maek sure the car doesn't get any worse in the mean time until I can get a paint job done, and I can't get that done until I have another ride seeing as I can't be without my car once I am working. What with working odd hours I'd have no way to get there and back.
.oO(How much crap will I get in for hotlinking a picture of a Mopar in a Focus forum?)

Have you ever looked/google'd "$50 paint jobs"??? Some have had really awesome results. Sorry for the Mopar image, but when I saw this roller'd Tremclad paint job, I flipped.

[Image: DSC02769.jpg]

Personally I'm going to spray some rocker-guard in some areas this summer. Hmmm... inexpensive body kit cover it up?
I'm a mopar guy at heart Big Grin (sorry everyone)
I read the whole post a while ago on that roller paint job. It took a whole lot of work but the outcome was spectacular.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
looking into the 50$ paint jobs, they didn't seem to be 'temporary' fixes, but rather a semi-permanent one. I'm trying to figure out a different ride for next winter so I can put my focus away - it won't rust without there being road salt on the ground this summer, right?
Rust is like cancer. I've had a few cars parked and they seem to rust faster then ones that stay on the road. Think the moisture doesn't get to dry up like it would if the cars were going down the road. I've also seen a few people buy rust-free vehicles from the prairies and soon as all those scratches got a dose of Ontario salt, they exploded in rust.

My paint has come off in exactly the same spot. Been waiting for time and warmer weather to take a more serious look at it. I'm thinking of hitting it with some rocker guard. Black on black won't show that badly.
90% of focus' out there 2003 and older, are rusting in the same spots. even mine, and for those of you who know me, dirt and salt never sat on my car for more than a day.