Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
storing a car for winter
I gotta put the RX7 away for winter

Therefore, I need to prep it. By prep, I mean do nothing and by do nothing I mean I am going to jack the car off the ground and hope for no bald spots. It wasn't taken out of "storage" from last winter (ie: hasn't been run) but as mentioned I don't want my tires to have bald spots on them.

the car is parked in a parking lot out front of my house... I don't have much choice as to where it sits. Also, the tires on it are Azenis and there is a set of Hankooks on 13s inside. AFAIK those tires don't do well under 0 degree and therefore hafta be left completely untouched so that they don't crack/break?

anyway, is it generally safe for a car to have wooden blocks at it's jack points to hold it off the ground? the car is not on level ground, it's on a slight angle.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
My suggestion? Get some 2-3" Styrofoam from Home Depot and cut it into 4 pieces. Drive the car onto the Styrofoam and be done with the jacking up. Done this myself for years.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
(11-12-2011, 08:28 AM)meford4u Wrote: My suggestion? Get some 2-3" Styrofoam from Home Depot and cut it into 4 pieces. Drive the car onto the Styrofoam and be done with the jacking up. Done this myself for years.

I like this.

Thanks!
(11-12-2011, 08:28 AM)meford4u Wrote: My suggestion? Get some 2-3" Styrofoam from Home Depot and cut it into 4 pieces. Drive the car onto the Styrofoam and be done with the jacking up. Done this myself for years.

This, and put an extra 10 pounds of air in the tires. No flat spots.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Fill up the tank, make sure its full of gas, you don't want condensation building up and causing rust. Throw is some fuel stabilizer if you want - but I think that's a little overkill.

Throw some bounce sheets on the front & rear floors, smell nice and rodents hate that stuff.

Fill your muffler tip with steel wool so no rodents try and get in and make a home.

And as mentioned fill up the tires an extra 10 psi, I actually inflated them to max psi. I've never jacked up the car when storing my cars, never had issues with flat spots.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
(11-15-2011, 05:56 AM)Flofocus Wrote: Fill up the tank, make sure its full of gas, you don't want condensation building up and causing rust. Throw is some fuel stabilizer if you want - but I think that's a little overkill.

Throw some bounce sheets on the front & rear floors, smell nice and rodents hate that stuff.

Fill your muffler tip with steel wool so no rodents try and get in and make a home.

And as mentioned fill up the tires an extra 10 psi, I actually inflated them to max psi. I've never jacked up the car when storing my cars, never had issues with flat spots.

the concern for flat spots is the car will be outdoors in the elements with no cover, in direct sunlight, covered in snow, in the parking lot out front of my place.

I also found water in the spare tire well Sad

as for the fuel tank... tbh I don't know the situation there IIRC it needs either a new fuel pump or a fuel filter. The gas in it is already about a year old too but thanks for mentioning it I woulda overlooked that.
my focus was stored outdoors most of the time also. just had a car cover, it was only the last couple years of ownership that I stored it indoors.

Same with my BMW, always stored outside, never had issues with flat spots.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]