Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an Auto Focus
Just like the title says im starting to look for an automatic focus for the wife. I would prefer a ZX4 with GFX but im open to options if the price is right.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
I'm also considering another Focus for the wife. Maybe a wagon. Not sure I want to do three kids in the back though.
Does anyone know much about http://www.ridesafely.com or wrecked auto auctions in general? There's some that with $60 in parts from my local wreckers could be fixed up.
Still Looking
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

Not sure if this what you mean, but here is another option. Out here in Saskatchewan you can bid on and buy SGI insurance write-offs. All of the SVT equipment (engine, transmission, interior, brakes, etc.) on SVT-WGN came from an SGI write-off.

If this sounds interesting, check it out here (http://www.sgi.sk.ca/salvage_bid/index.html ). Click on "Items on Bid", then on search. On the "List of Vehicles" webpage, click on any of the headings to sort by that criterion (I usually click on "Model") then scroll down until you find the Model (i.e. Focus or Ford Focus.)

Click on any of the fields, and a page should pop up with photos and a PDF of the damage estimate. While purchasing a vehicle sight unseen, coming out here, picking it up and hauling it back to where you live is obviously prohibitive, there is a chance something you are looking for is available. Looking costs nothing. Each sale ends on Wednesday.

What should be of interest are those vehicles marked "Requires Mechanical Inspection" because that is strictly the safety inspection, i.e. brakes, windshield and muffler type and costs about $250 or so plus the required repairs. In some cases you can actually get a temporary permit and drive it home. If a structural inspection is required, that costs more.

So specifically, this week one vehicle that sort of matches moon111's requirements is a grey 2002 Focus wagon which has a Zetec engine, automatic and a reserve bid of $200 (see item M120217).

Usually the cars out here do not have a rust problem. But then again, I am not an expert. I do know from experience, the several vehicles I have purchased, the bulk of the repair cost is in labour and repainting. The grey wagon for example was written off because the total tab was $4200 even though my cost for repair would have been much, much less. (I already have all of the front body parts from my wagon which were replaced by the SVT components. Even the colour is the same.) For me, the two inspections would have been the high cost items.

Why did I not bid on it? I do not like automatics. My wagon toy has six forward gears, 300mm disk brakes all around, and the sweetest little engine Focus made (with a K&N cone filter).
(03-02-2012, 07:17 AM)SVT-WGN Wrote: ...
If this sounds interesting, check it out here (http://www.sgi.sk.ca/salvage_bid/index.html). Click on "Items on Bid", then on search. On the "List of Vehicles" webpage, click on any of the headings to sort by that criterion (I usually click on "Model") then scroll down until you find the Model (i.e. Focus or Ford Focus.)
... (with a K&N cone filter).

Great info - did not know any of this ... link is broken though - 404 page not found

Edit: How did you get 300mm brakes on the rear - standard SVT rear brakes are 284 - or were you just rounding up?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Try http://www.dominionauto.com
Try it again. For some reason, the right bracket was connecting to the URL and giving the error. I added a space and it seems to work. On other forums I usually embed the URL in this way. Then people seem to miss the link even though the colour is different, etc. This should also work if you click on the SGI.

Yeah, without checking, I think they are the SVT 280mm rotors. Guilty as charged. What, I am a liar for 20mm (that's less than an inch.)
(03-02-2012, 12:09 PM)SVT-WGN Wrote: Try it again. For some reason, the right bracket was connecting to the URL and giving the error. I added a space and it seems to work. On other forums I usually embed the URL in this way. Then people seem to miss the link even though the colour is different, etc. This should also work if you click on the SGI.

Yeah, without checking, I think they are the SVT 280mm rotors. Guilty as charged. What, I am a liar for 20mm (that's less than an inch.)

LOL no, no nothing like that - I'm always curious about parts / technical stuff and if you had 300 mm brakes on the rear I was going to ask you how you did it - I hope you knew that was my intent and that I wasn't calling you out.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
No offence taken ZTWsquared. The hardest thing to do when writing comments on these forums, is try not to insult other people. (My statement was meant to elicit an image of an old guy holding his fingers, well 20 mm apart or about the diameter of a bottle cap reminiscent of the old "Get Smart" series, missed it by that much.)

To review, it has now been a year and also remember it was my son who did all of the work. Focus wagons I think mostly (or all) have drum rear brakes. Another issue was the rear suspension on the wagon, while independent, was not easily adjustable. The drums were removed by cutting the welds. Mounts for the SVT rear brakes were fabricated from a combination of existing and replacement pieces. While we were replacing the brakes, we also installed H&R lowering springs (25 mm in the rear, 35 mm in front - I think - whatever they offer.) The rear pieces on each side that are non-adjustable on the original wagon, were replaced with adjustable pieces (should be available at any reputable wheel alignment shop.) The emergency brake cable was sourced from Ford (it was the cable intended for the five door model Focus. The dealer insisted we needed the wagon cable, but that was the wrong length.) The only thing still left to do is hook up the ABS sensors. That will be part of the work left for this winter or early spring. Our next task is to replace the stock SVT rotors with slotted rotors and hopefully we can hook up the ABS sensors so that we can also use the SVT traction control. And yes, that should shut off some of the dash warning lights.

Of course, as an old guy, I don't drive the wagon to the limits, but obviously they are way beyond my needs. I just like shifting gears (I lust after the new Porsche 911 with a seven speed manual.)

The other problem we found was the lowering springs meant anytime we hit a serious bump on the road, there was some tire rub. That problem will be addressed by using a rim roller tool to give us that extra couple of millimetres clearance.

The car in its present make-up is driven daily and has had racked up well in excess of 10,000 km since it was built (although I tend not to drive it in slush and on icy roads.) Also, please excuse me for being somewhat vague on the details; my son did all the work, I just did the dreaming. So any and all information here is second hand.
(03-02-2012, 10:20 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Try http://www.dominionauto.com

Great site im always lurking around checking out there new inventory.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

Hey Guys im still looking around for an auto focus. I checked out a couple but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've got another month or so till I need to buckle down and buy something so throw some options at me.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

Anything out there? I missed out on a great deal on a 07 ZX3 GFX. They called me to tell me it was sold when I was on my way with deposit in hand.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain