Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... how was your day compared to this?
As some of you might be aware, and at least Oscar and Stan have experienced, Subsonic had a serious vibration issue.

Now, to be fair, Stan said when I bought the car that it vibrated as it did because of the race "mount" dogbone that he had installed. I found out shortly thereafter that a lot of the roughness of the engine was the need for a complete tune-up - but the major vibrations remained.

Over time, I grew accustomed to the car's "cycles". In the dead of winter, it was a giant vibration amplifier "because of the mount". I'd have no real music or engine note enjoyment until the engine hit normal operating temps. To really remove the vibration, the car would need to be driven for an hour or more continually to "warm up" the dogbone. In the warmer months, a few minutes of driving was still required to alleviate some, but not all, of the vibration.

Honestly, I took the situation with a sense of pride: it had a race motor mount, and now a Spec Stage 3 clutch. It was approaching "go-kart" status quickly, with only the stock 50-series tires and SVT suspension to soften the blows in everyday driving.

This spring, as I drove the Focus more to save mileage on the Escape (which has yet to be sold, but that's another debacle in itself), I noticed a pronounced "clunk" or "whunk" every time I'd clutch in or out, adding or removing torque from the driveline. I took my buddy for a rip a couple of weeks ago (after the dual rear LCA issue) and he diagnosed it as the motor mount(s). A convo with Hardk0re confirmed our suspicions: rear mount.

So, I sourced a new mount, available only from Ford. Figures eh? We install the mount. A lot of the "clunk" was gone, but it still there - on either side of the engine, less pronounced that before. Also, a lot of the vibration remained. Hmm. We rocked the car, in gear, and noticed that the driver's side engine mount also appeared to be completely blown - the urethane part was moving back and forth visibly and it appeared tattered / wrecked.

So, we ordered the two front mounts. Installed them. Firing the car up after /that/ round of work was an epiphany: I can have performance WITHOUT vibration! Cue the singing angels and other paper miracles!

Then, disaster: I took Subsonic to the camp last Saturday. Then, we drove home Sunday morning. As we went through a Timmies drive-thru, the car felt a little "hesitant" to roll, almost as if it was pulling a loaded trailer. I pondered whether I was losing my mind. Also, as we edged out of the drive-thru and crawled through a parking lot, I started to smell burning rubber - in a bad way. Stopping the car and lifting the hood revealed... the passenger-side engine mount top half (including cast metal) had separated from the bottom, main portion of the mount in a fashion that would make most Quebec separatists proud. It had embedded itself in the accessory belt workings, under the alternator, and had destroyed the accessory belt in the process. Oddly enough, the engine still ran (if I had let it). I was unable to remove the belt completely, and thankfully Oscar was around to give us a lift home. We went back with Ironhide with the intent to tow it ourselves to the garage, but we couldn't source a tow dolly. So, off it went on a wrecker.

After a new mount and belt were installed (with promises of a new Ford mount if the second aftermarket mount died), off I went again.

This time, I managed about 30KMs until the new belt was eaten violently. Well, halfway eaten. I got the car home (from the office), and then my bud came and drove it to his shop. Prognosis: toasted tensioner that was pulling the acc belt over the pulleys' edges. So, now after a second new belt and a new tensioner it runs like a top - 100KMs and counting. Tongue

Link to the broken mount pic as it's too big for attaching here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9q88mibcyj08gs...0mount.jpg
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
You should become a writer, along with all the tension, and tragedy, you found the humour in the situation. Besides the writing, it's great to hear you've solved most of the Focus's issues. When you sell the Escape, get a 2012 Focus ST
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
Here's the moral of the story. You live in NB and you name your car.

That is GAY.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I enjoy the naming. It makes it a more... humourous experience.

It's part of my take on how I like my vehicles to be unique in some way, and how driving my Escape kills me because even after the RX-8 rims and HIDs it's still too typical-looking.

I also laughed at the fact that where I live is still supposed to be fodder for judgment. Tongue

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
(05-12-2012, 02:22 AM)meford4u Wrote: Here's the moral of the story. You live in NB and you name your car.

That is GAY.

A very intelligent man told me once that anything that has speed, beauty or grace is a woman, it should be named........as for living in North Bay, I can't answer that one, since I was 15 the last time I was there. So very long ago.......
K&N Filter.....
Mr Vettel names his race cars so i think you can 2!
Abbey, Kinky Kylie, Julie, Luscious Liz, Randy Mandy, Kate and Kate’s Dirty Sister

Ive officially named mine " My little Bitch in Blue "
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
(05-12-2012, 03:09 AM)oldeguy Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 02:22 AM)meford4u Wrote: Here's the moral of the story. You live in NB and you name your car.

That is GAY.

A very intelligent man told me once that anything that has speed, beauty or grace is a woman, it should be named........as for living in North Bay, I can't answer that one, since I was 15 the last time I was there. So very long ago.......
I thought it was anything that can screw you over big time like a woman should be named.
(05-12-2012, 03:54 AM)moon111 Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 03:09 AM)oldeguy Wrote:

That is GAY.

I thought it was anything that can screw you over big time like a woman should be named.
That too, but, it might not be as endearing a name......
K&N Filter.....
to be honest I think the rear mount being worn probably put allot of stress on the side mounts.
Maybe I sould name my Jeep. Just like a woman, its taking all my money and gets all the attention.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
anything with tits or tires....

sorry hear about your day, seems like you have it all figured out now!
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
(05-12-2012, 05:03 AM)hardk0re Wrote: to be honest I think the rear mount being worn probably put allot of stress on the side mounts.

I wouldn't be surprised if the car was like that from day one bud (when I bought it). It's hard to notice a shot mount when your airbox / cone filter is directly over it.

You guys crack me up! Tongue

It seems good now, Jamie.

Oldeguy - you should come up sometime for a weekend, rent one of the cottages out at my camp. Relaxing, with good bass and pickerel fishing.

(05-12-2012, 06:14 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: Maybe I sould name my Jeep. Just like a woman, its taking all my money and gets all the attention.

You also seem to be able to fill the Jeep with women. That makes it a lesbian. Make the name equally appealing.

Adam, what mounts did you use for the drivers/passengers sides? I know from reading up, the aftermarket ones are pretty much crap, unless you go performance (VF, etc.). Was it a Ford one that ate itself?
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost