Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The First 5k..
So about 10 weeks ago, I started down the road to improving my running fitness -- with a goal set to run the Mississauga (half) marathon in May.

Well, this past weekend, I reached goal #1 in running 5km (at the santa shuffle) in under half an hour (and without walking).

[Image: dsc00145-300x225.jpg]

This was the longest I've ever ran without stopping, and I have to admit the last 10 minutes were pretty brutal for my fat ass (working on that too).

I'll post my heart rate graph once I download it from my watch... it's a nice steady climb to about 180bpm...

Considering that I did train consistently for the first 5km, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about being fit enough to do more than 4x that in May...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Way to go, Steveo! You're well on your way, I'd say. I'd also wager you have some momentum behind you in your quest for the half-marathon now that you've gotten this far (no fat joke implied). I think as you progress it'll get easier if nothing else.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Hey, you hit the first goal marker that you set for yourself Steve, that in and of itself is something to be proud of.

Trick is now to keep at it, I'm back on the PT wheel full time again, even getting in some extra work on weekends when I'm not otherwise busy (Strangely enough it feels really good getting in weight training just after you get up, limber up first and the hour goes by like magic)

NefCanuck
congrats on goal #1 whats goal #2?
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
not sure what the second goal is just yet... the end goal is the mississauga marathon in may.

I did the 5k as a first test... and now I have a month and a bit until the clinic starts for the half marathon in earnest -- so I have to concentrate on keeping up the running program in the interim.

fun fun fun...

Dunno what to suggest in terms of another interim goal to try and hit, the hassle is, this time of year there isn't that much going on that requires endurance (Unless you wanna take the "Polar Bear Swim" on New Years Day :ph34r:)

Gotta see what the Mississauga event offers for a walkathon :huh:

NefCanuck
There's a 10k in march I think I might do.. that'll give me something to aim for before the half marathon. 'cause to run 21k, you gotta run 10..

at average what speed do you have to run that marathone? 5 miles per hour?
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
my average running speed is about 10km/h.. which is 6.25mph...

but that depends on how long I can keep that pace up in a marathon situation.

5 k was pretty hard!

darkpuppet,Dec 9 2008, 09:33 AM Wrote:There's a 10k in march I think I might do.. that'll give me something to aim for before the half marathon.  'cause to run 21k, you gotta run 10..
[right][snapback]277894[/snapback][/right]

True enough, plus it'll give you a better indication if your footwear will be up to the task of a long distance event (One of the things I hear many people forgetting, the suitability of their footwear tp the task at hand, er, foot :P)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Dec 9 2008, 12:08 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Dec 9 2008, 09:33 AM Wrote:There's a 10k in march I think I might do.. that'll give me something to aim for before the half marathon.  'cause to run 21k, you gotta run 10..
[right][snapback]277894[/snapback][/right]

True enough, plus it'll give you a better indication if your footwear will be up to the task of a long distance event (One of the things I hear many people forgetting, the suitability of their footwear tp the task at hand, er, foot :P)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]277905[/snapback][/right]

I have proper running shoes (got fitted before the 5k).. the shoes make all the difference.

But by the time the marathon comes along, I should be in a different pair of shoes than when the 10k is run.

Ah, good, good, looks like you're keeping on top of things.

Heh and me on the other side has to go out and spend $70 on anti-slip footwear just to avoid slipping and breaking my neck :( (the one added advantage is the fact that I now have a CSA grade steel toe in my shoes, when I kick arse, I kick arse! :lol:)

NefCanuck
Puppet, how about another beer n wings FC meet nite before your run?
My other ride is your Mom