Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overheating, Still!
Okay, I changed the thermostat, and didn't use a Ford part. So, now, and it may have been the original problem , the car will go over almost to the red part of the gauge, and then I think the high speed fan kicks in, or one of the fans kicks in and brings it back down to the normal temperature. Could it be that the low speed fan isn't working and the high speed fan is kicking in when it is supposed too? It is only problem when I am in "rush hour" when I'm just crawling along. Went 100 kms yesterday without problems and this morning, but this afternoon, on my way home traffic was really slow and I watched my coolant gauge more than the traffic :blink:
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
sounds like you are on the right track with the radiator fan.. do you hear the fan coming on when you are idling? for my sube the fan comes on twice by the time the coolant gauge reads normal temparature. if your fan isn't coming on when you are idling that's it right there... start off cheap and check the fuse first. also check random stuff like coolant level (in the rad not just in the overflow) and tightness of radiator cap
During the trouble shooting process I would advise you put a bottle of water wetter in with your coolant. It will help a bit.
2000 ZX3
Also check the rad fan switch if our car has one. Should be in the rad I think.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
have you ever looked into the rad cap? i know our cars dont have the actual rad cap, but we still have one on the reserve container. make sure that holds the pressure. long time ago my dad had a similar problem and it was the cap that was not holding the 13psi of pressure.

off course he found that out the hard way by replacing the rad/fan and everything else first :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Its a common problem with the focus for the resistor pack which is located in the fan housing to go. Just search on focaljet and you will find all the information that you need. The problem you are describing is almost to the t the resistor pack.
2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T GT
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI (Totalled) (Monkey in the middle on 400)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (Totalled)
2000 ZX3 (Darknights 2nd place Focus)
I did some reading on both focaljet and Focus fanatics. it sounds like BlackZX3 is right. Now, has anyone ever had to the the repair?
K&N Filter.....
Before we get carried away was just reading through have you checked the relays? There are two relays for the fans one is low speed the other is high speed. As well you should make sure to check if there is power going to the fan. Could be the low speed motor is not working. Another thing to check is turn on your AC and see if the fans kick in and which one is running. From what I recall it should turn on the low speed fan.

Yeah I changed my resistor out, Its really easy honestly. If I still had the focus I would take pics to show you. There should be pictures on focaljet. From what I recall the part is about $60-70 from ford. If there is someone close with a known working resistor pack, and you can test theirs frist to see if that fixes your problem that would be best.

If that doesn't solve your problem another spot to check is the CHT sensor on the zetec. This is a real PITA to replace, you have to remove the alternator.

I thought the resistor pack was why my fans went. But it didn't cure my problem, then my ac went, and finally came down to the pcm was not grounding the relays anymore to activate the fans and ac. Therefore my car is now at some wholesaler in the gta.

I might be going to campbellford next weekend (sept. 15) if you haven't figured it out by then I can always stop by and see if I can give you a hand in pin pointing what your problem might be.
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
Blackzx3,Sep 6 2007, 04:17 PM Wrote:Before we get carried away was just reading through have you checked the relays?  There are two relays for the fans one is low speed the other is high speed.  As well you should make sure to check if there is power going to the fan.  Could be the low speed motor is not working.  Another thing to check is turn on your AC and see if the fans kick in and which one is running.  From what I recall it should turn on the low speed fan. 

Yeah I changed my resistor out, Its really easy honestly.  If I still had the focus I would take pics to show you.  There should be pictures on focaljet.  From what I recall the part is about $60-70 from ford.  If there is someone close with a known working resistor pack, and you can test theirs frist to see if that fixes your problem that would be best. 

If that doesn't solve your problem another spot to check is the CHT sensor on the zetec.  This is a real PITA to replace, you have to remove the alternator. 

I thought the resistor pack was why my fans went.  But it didn't cure my problem, then my ac went, and finally came down to the pcm was not grounding the relays anymore to activate the fans and ac.  Therefore my car is now at some wholesaler in the gta.

I might be going to campbellford next weekend (sept. 15) if you haven't figured it out by then I can always stop by and see if I can give you a hand in pin pointing what your problem might be.
[right][snapback]248320[/snapback][/right]
The low speed fan seems to come on when I put on the A/C. The car doesn't overheat. I've ordered the part, $65.00. I'll keep you informed as to the progress, and thanks for the advice.
K&N Filter.....
Okay, problem has been fixed. It was the Resistor pack for the fan units, as well as the connector was toasted. Resistor pack was 60 at the dealer, and then they wanted 70 for the connector. I went to the wreckers and tripped over the connector in the Focus graveyard ( a sad place) cost was $15.00
K&N Filter.....
good to hear that u got it fixed..

if u don;t mind, can you tell me where is the wreck yard with lots focus??
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
konafocuswrc,Sep 14 2007, 11:26 AM Wrote:good to hear that u got it fixed..

if u don;t mind, can you tell me where is the wreck yard with lots focus??
[right][snapback]248783[/snapback][/right]
I live in GM country, near Oshawa. I would think that either the wreckers out near Oakville would have a few or you could try Standard Auto in North East Toronto. Just google Standard Auto and see what comes up
K&N Filter.....
TRY http://www.car-part.com

Its a wrecker inventory site ;) super nice to have.
2000 ZX3
Glad to hear you got it fixed :D
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
Blackzx3,Sep 15 2007, 09:50 AM Wrote:Glad to hear you got it fixed  :D
[right][snapback]248820[/snapback][/right]
Without your assistance, I probably would have been still trying to figure it out ( and getting grayer by the moment). Personally, I think this is the best part about this site is the help that is given out by the members. Again, Thanks. This little problem actually taught my neighbour, a mechanic, something new!!
K&N Filter.....