Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic Transmission
Does anyone have a clue as to how much it is to do yourself? Or would it be cheaper to have it done by a shop?
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
I'm at 30k miles, and about 6 autocrosses under my belt on that transmission, and have been thinking its a good idea to get it cleaned... so...

I read a thorough write-up about flushing the whole system over on either FJ or FF last week. It involves disconnecting the return line from the transmission cooler and then emptying some fluid and refilling, then running the car and rowing throw the gears to get the fluid circulating to remove more, add more fluid.. repeat as necessary. Then put it all back together.

Sounds like an all day process (and i really don't have all that much time on weekends) to get all of the fluid out of the system (including torque converter)... and I'm really considering having someplace do a flush & replace the filter.. but I'm guessing its going to be over $100 to have it done.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
IMO it's a dealership thing. They did our last one on the old car and they'll be doing all those services on the new one.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I did it 5000km ago... The shop charged me $60 labour, no flush tho. I bought the filter from dealer and bought 4 bottles of amsoil automatic tranny fluid from yelozx3. I recommad amsoil!!!

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx
JMS US spec front lip, Rieger R-RX side skirts, Rieger R-RX rear apron, European rear bumper, European tail lights, RPMlabs grill, Painted side mirrors cover, H4 HID kit, Lamin-X yellow fogs, shorty antenna, Loder1899 replica rear spoiler, weathertech window delfector, Injen short ram air box, FC UDP pulley, FC 65mm TB, Focussport race header, Focussport flex, magnaflow hi-flow cat, MBRP catback, SCT Xcal2, ford racing spark plug wire, Tein S-tech, FK Damper kit, Eibach rear camber kit, Focussport strut bar, Painted valve cover, TeamDynamic pro race 1.2 17", Kumho SPT 205/45/17, Hawk HP, brembo blank rotors, Russell SS brakelines, Motul dot 5.1, Recaro replica seats on Recaro seat base, KKM shift surround, In-dash 7" DVD player, Tein Damper-chi doll!!
Thanks gentlemen, I think I'm going to go with the experts on this one and get a shop to do the work.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
If your crappy tire is any good, let them do it. I f I remember right from when I had it done, it was 90 plus tax to do the filter, flush and fill, and labour included.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Automatic Transmission chromehorse 6 2,146 09-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Last Post: konafocuswrc