Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlight Problems
I ordered a set of headlights from Evector via Ebay.
They are supposed to be a direct replacement that incorporates the turn signals. It is supposed to be a direct plug in situation. They are supposed to fit 2000 - 2004.
The box I i received was labled 98 Focus. ????
Not a direct plug in....in fact different plugs.
And of course I ordered new grills to compliment the new lights. Can't install them now.
Considering the cost of shipping the lights back and the paying the import fees again I don't think I'll bother. Lessons learned - Avoid Evector and do more research.

Which brings me to the point of this. I want to replace the headlights. Looking for a "black background" with turn signals included. And just plug them in. Anybody have a recommendation?

On the good side. I just intalled the new shocks, struts, and springs and love them! What a difference!
Fader
2002 ZX5
MBRP Cat Back - K&N Typhon - KYB/AGX Shocks and Struts -Vogtland Springs, 1.5 inch drop - Primax 772's - Toyo TPT 205/50R16's - Nextar Navigation
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
Order a set of ST170 headlights for your car (if it's an 00-02.5 that is). They are one of the best looking lights availble for the Focus, if not THE best looking. They have 3 different versions of them now... Chrome European facelift ones, the ST170 version themselves, and a new version of the ST170's that are black inside (instead of charcoal like the ST's)...

You can get them from many places like http://www.european-parts.net, BATinc, and I think even ZX3tuning.com can get them too...

Check em out!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I dont think you can have any lights as a direct plug in, if you want to have the turn signals in there as well.

As for the focus being 98, well in Europe they started in 98.

As the beast said, ST170's are the best one. But you still need to get the street light wire and turn signal wire from the grill and extend the wires to the new head lights. So again I dont think they will be direct fits.

Good luck. I just ordered a set of HID's and they are suppose to be direct fit as well. I will let you know how that goes. I bet I still have to do the same thing I told you to do.

Mo
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

You need to make up your own harness in order to wire them up right, or buy a pre-made harness.

Give me details on the lights, might you be interested in projectors?
Like everyone has been saying, there is no direct plug-and-play headlights that include signal lights, since our wiring harness doesn't have a signal light wire in it. With any set of headlights that includes signals, you have to cut (or splice into) the wiring going to the signals in the grill and run them over to the headlight's new harness. It's a really simple job that just about anyone could do.. If you look at some of the how-to articles for the Mach HID lights on some of the Focus boards you'll see pictures and explanations of how to do it.

And if you're looking to replace the ebay lights with some decent black housing headlights with signals included your only choice should be the ST170 headlights from Ford Europe. The only thing is that they use a VW/Audi style plug (since the lights are made by Hella), so you have to either splice them into your stock wiring or make a jumper harness yourself (which is actually pretty simple).

Check out this link: http://homepage.mac.com/alf/HIDlights/ for some details of what you're in for if you decide to go with the ST170s (the wiring is almost exactly the same on the ST170s as with the Mach HIDs).

Also, check with Mitch at ZX3tuning.com (ZX3TUNING on here) about the lights.. last I heard he was trying to get a new european part supplier.
[Image: AttheShacksdoctored.jpg]

Older pic of the Focus, but you get the idea of how the standard version of the ST170's look on a NA Focus. Frost, SVT Dean, and a host of others have these headlights...they kick azz compared to the stockers...E-Code/Eurospec rules!

B)
What do the headlights you ordered look like?

And as has already been mentioned plug and play headlights with turn signals don't exist for our focus. I know in the past people have used VW adaptors to make a new wiring adaptor.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

hardk0re,Dec 1 2006, 04:56 PM Wrote:You need to make up your own harness in order to wire them up right, or buy a pre-made harness.

Give me details on the lights, might you be interested in projectors?
[right][snapback]218237[/snapback][/right]
PM'd
2002 ZX5
MBRP Cat Back - K&N Typhon - KYB/AGX Shocks and Struts -Vogtland Springs, 1.5 inch drop - Primax 772's - Toyo TPT 205/50R16's - Nextar Navigation
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
Drivesthebeast,Dec 1 2006, 05:34 PM Wrote:Older pic of the Focus, but you get the idea of how the standard version of the ST170's look on a NA Focus.  Frost, SVT Dean, and a host of others have these headlights...they kick azz compared to the stockers...E-Code/Eurospec rules!

B)
[right][snapback]218248[/snapback][/right]
Yup, that is exactly the look I was going for. You've even got the grill I got....although I ordered the lower version as well.
Obviously I should have asked this question before ordering.
Unfortunately the plug on the harnes on the new lights is not the same size or shape as the stock plug on the 2002. Maybe it can all be spliced together. When the rain stops I'll take a look at it.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Fader
2002 ZX5
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
habmann,Dec 1 2006, 05:59 PM Wrote:What do the headlights you ordered look like?
You can see the Ebay listing with photos here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...41680667&rd=1,1
2002 ZX5
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
[Image: AtRalstons.jpg]

Oh, I had the lower grille and stuff too, but this pic of the car before the sideskirts and the spoiler looked good back at that time...

Mach HID's = simply the best....they cost more , and theres a reason. You get MORE than you pay for !
Fader,Dec 1 2006, 08:30 PM Wrote:I ordered a set of headlights from Evector via Ebay.
They are supposed to be a direct replacement that incorporates the turn signals. It is supposed to be a direct plug in situation.  They are supposed to fit 2000 - 2004.
The box I i received was labled 98 Focus.  ????
Not a direct plug in....in fact different plugs.
And of course I ordered new grills to compliment the new lights.  Can't install them now.

I think all replacement lamp require alot of wiring, do those light come with bulb and connector? If so it shouldn't be too hard to get it work.

May I ask how much it cost you including everything?
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
Mike,Dec 1 2006, 10:59 PM Wrote:Mach HID's = simply the best....they cost more , and theres a reason. You get MORE than you pay for !
[right][snapback]218272[/snapback][/right]

Hey Mike

Were they hard to install?

I got a set for your old Zx3, and I will hopefully get them this weekend so i can install them.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Mike,Dec 1 2006, 06:59 PM Wrote:Mach HID's = simply the best....they cost more , and theres a reason. You get MORE than you pay for !
[right][snapback]218272[/snapback][/right]
And DONT FORGET who helped you install them!!
My other ride is your Mom
Quote:Fitment: Ford ZX3 ZX7...

That's a big enough hint to not get them... :lol:
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Dec 2 2006, 07:44 AM Wrote:
Quote:Fitment: Ford ZX3 ZX7...

That's a big enough hint to not get them... :lol:
[right][snapback]218339[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, love those adds that reel you in saying it's for a Focus, and then lists off like 10 other vehicles that those lights should never be able to fit on...some people... :rolleyes:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headlight Problems blue_light 2 1,341 06-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Last Post: blue_light