Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benn Working On The House A Lot...
scoobasteve,Jul 5 2006, 01:44 PM Wrote:Hahaha, thats awesome.

I guess youre not planning to get a pool anytime soon eh :lol:
[right][snapback]196497[/snapback][/right]

My parents live about a 15 minute walk from my place, they have a sweet 12 foot deep inground.....so no. :lol: I'll let my father deal with pool maintenance.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jul 5 2006, 01:41 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 5 2006, 01:19 PM Wrote:If it's THAT elevated, you're lucky. You might be spared some new house settling!
[right][snapback]196489[/snapback][/right]

That and the fact that my house is built in a foundation of rock and not dirt. 1 hour per hole to do the fence posts. 6 inches of dirt with the dingo machine, then stop, take out jackhammer, chizel 3 foot hole in rock, add gravel for drainage, set post in cement...in the rock. My posts ain't movin. :lol:
[right][snapback]196496[/snapback][/right]

hahaha, that's sweet!

I'd pass on a pool, too. Way too many headaches unless it's indoor and done right (which equals hella more cash).
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I would have loved an indoor pool, My dad was planning on putting one in our last house....

He passed when he realized the entire house would smell like chlorine :(
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
You should wait at least one year before you do anything in the basement. If there are any leaks related to the builder's error it should be caught within the first year. I have had 2 new houses with walkout basements and both had minor leaks because the builder forgot to seal something properly. (e.g. the sliding patio door out the basement wasn't sealed properly and water was seeping into the basement)

It takes about a year for the concrete slab to dry fully. To test it, duck tape a 2 foot square of clear plastic to the slab, if there is moisture under the plastic after a few days it is still too wet to build or cover it.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Jul 5 2006, 03:24 PM Wrote:You should wait at least one year before you do anything in the basement.  If there are any leaks related to the builder's error it should be caught within the first year.  I have had 2 new houses with walkout basements and both had minor leaks because the builder forgot to seal something properly.  (e.g. the sliding patio door out the basement wasn't sealed properly and water was seeping into the basement)

It takes about a year for the concrete slab to dry fully.  To test it, duck tape a 2 foot square of clear plastic to the slab, if there is moisture under the plastic after a few days it is still too wet to build or cover it.
[right][snapback]196525[/snapback][/right]

Cool, I wasnt planning on doing it till winter or next spring anyways. House never came with a deck and Im getting sick (well....sick isnt the word...lazy is) to go downstairs to open the patio door for the dog. So the deck is 1st, then the basement.

Quick question though....It's an option to have the builder finish the basement for you (upgrade @ mucho $$$) , what do they do in that case? wait a year, THEN come do it?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
They finish it right away, i believe its partially covered on your Tarion warranty.

Not sure if there are any exceptions though.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
another option for flooring is 4x8' ( or larger ) sheets of MDF, take a router to the edges, counter sink nice screws in the corners and seal it with several layers and presto. My uncle did this and I thought it looked awesome and different. You can possibly stain or even paint the MDF to look " rich "

***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Holmes on Homes says never to put hardwood in the basement.. if you get any kind of moisture or whatever the floor can buckle and then your doors wont open/close, etc. Maybe talk to a good contractor for flooring material advice for basements..

I did the walls in my basement but left the floor bare concrete because I ran out of money, and I dont want to put carpet down in case I get water in it (but my house is 60 years old).
We've got laminate tile in the laundry/bathroom areas and low-pile rug for the majority of the rest of the basement on what appears to be under-padding.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.