Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metrication In Canada
OAC_Sparky,May 30 2006, 10:00 AM Wrote:1 square kilometer, about 2.5 acres. That's the only way I can picture it.
[right][snapback]190459[/snapback][/right]
May I correct you? Being borne and raised in a metric country, I still have difficulties figuring out how much area 1 acre is; however, 1 hectare is exactly 100m x 100m which makes it 10,000 m². So, it is not quite a square kilometre B)
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?
You guys are awesome, for all your asnwers are brief but to the point. If the number of surveyed people will get to 30, I can use the normal distribution formula.

A couple of words about myself. As I said I was borne in a fully metric country (since 1923) and lived there for 18 years. Naturally, anything besides metric was not known to me. After I moved to the USA, I managed to adopt to some of the SAE units whilst retaining the other. Here is where I stand with respect to both systems:

a. Short distance? [metres only, but I use feet & inches to measure my own height]
b. Long distance? [miles only]
c. Temperature? [Celcius and Farenheit equally]
d. Volume? [Litres and maybe gallons]
e. Mass? [kg and grammes, but I use pounds to measure my own weight]
f. Land area? [hectare only]

I installed the metric (only) face gauges in my Focus, so that I can learn how 120 km/h feels like. Having learnt driving in the USA, I unfortunately have a little idea what a kilometre is. I guess, it is time to revive the metric system in my head :rolleyes:
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?
Peterbilt,May 30 2006, 03:30 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,May 30 2006, 10:00 AM Wrote:1 square kilometer, about 2.5 acres. That's the only way I can picture it.
[right][snapback]190459[/snapback][/right]
May I correct you? Being borne and raised in a metric country, I still have difficulties figuring out how much area 1 acre is; however, 1 hectare is exactly 100m x 100m which makes it 10,000 m². So, it is not quite a square kilometre B)
[right][snapback]190492[/snapback][/right]
Yes, I stand corrected.

Told ya I used acres. :P
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Peterbilt,May 30 2006, 05:49 AM Wrote:Hey chaps,

I am doing a small research on metrication issues and would like your input. Assuming that Canadian schools have all gone metric a long time ago, I want to ask you about domestic unofficial units of measurements - units that you use in a comfort of your own home

<>
  1. Short distance? [metres or feet]
    <>
  2. Long distance? [km or miles]
    <>
  3. Temperature? [Celcius or Farenheit]
    <>
  4. Volume? [Litres or Gallons/Pints/Qt]
    <>
  5. Mass? [kg/grammes or pounds/oz]
    <>
  6. Land area? [ha or acres]
    <>
    [st]What I am asking is rather in what units you think. I am particularly interested in people who were born in Canada and studied in schools after they all had gone metric.

Cheers!
    [right][snapback]190342[/snapback][/right]

1] feet (although smaller measurements are CM or MM) ...rarely Inches
2] km
3] celcius
4] litres
5] pounds
6] acres
Peterbilt,May 30 2006, 05:49 AM Wrote:Hey chaps,

I am doing a small research on metrication issues and would like your input. Assuming that Canadian schools have all gone metric a long time ago, I want to ask you about domestic unofficial units of measurements - units that you use in a comfort of your own home

<>
  1. Short distance? [metres or feet]
    <>
  2. Long distance? [km or miles]
    <>
  3. Temperature? [Celcius or Farenheit]
    <>
  4. Volume? [Litres or Gallons/Pints/Qt]
    <>
  5. Mass? [kg/grammes or pounds/oz]
    <>
  6. Land area? [ha or acres]
    <>
    [st]What I am asking is rather in what units you think. I am particularly interested in people who were born in Canada and studied in schools after they all had gone metric.

Cheers!
    [right][snapback]190342[/snapback][/right]

Short distances - metres (aside from measuring people, that's still ft &amp; inches)
Long distances - KM
Temperature - C
Volume - Litres
Mass - both
Land area - acres (I blame my dad for that, asa greenskeeper he still thinks US measure because that's how all his supplies are shipped to him)

NefCanuck

[*]Short distance? feet
[*]Long distance? km
[*]Temperature? Farenheit
[*]Volume? Litres
[*]Mass? pounds/oz
[*]Land area? acres

microbunny,May 31 2006, 01:59 AM Wrote:[*]Short distance?&nbsp; feet
[*]Long distance? km
[*]Temperature? Farenheit
[*]Volume? Litres
[*]Mass? pounds/oz[*]Land area? acres
[right][snapback]190573[/snapback][/right]

I kinda figured you'd say grams and ounces ......am I rite?!?

:ph34r:
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending