Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question On Delare Custom
As everyone know UPS's brokerage free is a rape off, I am planning to order some auto parts from US can someone let me know how to delare customer myself?
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
Its very hard to understand what you just wrote, but I take a quess.

If you want to declare it yourself ship the product to a friend in the US and cross the boarder yourself, then cross back and declare it or dont.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
You don't declare them you have to get them cleared though customs. Clearing customs is what costs the money. The only way to get around it is to drive and pick them up, on the way back into Canada you only pay tax.

Autoparts are supposed to be covered under NAFTA but I'm never bothered to look into it that much.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Focus Is Art,Apr 25 2006, 05:08 PM Wrote:As everyone know UPS's brokerage free is a rape off, I am planning to order some auto parts from US can someone let me know how to delare customer myself?
[right][snapback]183319[/snapback][/right]
If you mean "declare customs" it really depends on how you have the item shipped.

If it's by mail USPS (United States Post Office) you won't have to do anything, and in fact you won't have any choice - Canada Post will do the customs clearance and you pay them whatever taxes and duty they think you owe - for auto parts that's typically just PST and GST, but for some countries of origin there might be some duty to pay as well. Depending on the value of the goods they will also charge you a minimal fee of around $5 to $10.

If it's being sent UPS or Fedex, I think there's a way you can indicate that you will do your own customs clearance, but that will involve some running around. You'll have to take the Commercial Invoice to Canada Customs and fill out the form and pay the taxes and duty -- then take the paperwork to the Fedex/UPS warehouse to pick up your item. They may also take the opportunity to ding you for storage depending on how long they have to wait for you to clear the item.

If it's a larger item (engine or transmission for example) then you could probably hire a trucking company or a freight forwarder/consolidator and they may have a relationship with a customs broker to do the clearance -- but customs brokerage fees make UPS fees look like a deal.

The way I do it is to have the item sent to my PO box in Niagara Falls NY -- I pick it up and at the border simply declare what I'm bringing back (and the "approximate" value) and if they choose to send me to the office, they will assess the taxes and duties there with no fee for the clearance. I often pay no taxes because I'm waved through, and I usually save on shipping costs too. This works for me though because I have other reasons for the PO box and other reasons to go to Buffalo. If it was a really high value item, this might be the way to go. PM for details on how to cross the border successfully if you think you might be doing this.

If you're looking to reduce cost and effort, the best approach is frankly to have it sent by mail -- Canada Post fees are really reasonable and it's no added effort on your part.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *