Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion Needed
Okay i'm thinking about doing something here. This is the best pic i can find to explain what i wanna do.

I would like to paint the "indent" in my hood on both sides black ..just the indent. all the way to the grill. then paint the grill back to black..both pieces..chrome part and the center piece..as well as paint the insides of my headlights black.

now my question is. Is it a difficult job to do the inside of headlights. I have seen a few HOW TO's on this...and it's looks like a hell of a job and a messy one too. Is it difficult, is it worth the risk of possibly busting something?

let me know guys...any advice or comments are appreciated..

[Image: Picture015.jpg]
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
As for the hood....leave it alone...

as for the grille....black, grey, or white looks good on your car

as for the headlights....I wouldnt risk it unless you got a spare set...

good luck with whatever you try!
for the hood, get it photoshoped first to see what it's like. If you like it I would just use vinyl inside of paint.

Grill, yeah I'd do the mesh part a darker accenting colour. In your case a gunmetal colour.

Headlights, it's easier than you think to crack them open. All you need is a hairdryer a flat tool/device ( butter knife works well in a pinch ) and some small wood wedges or something along those lines. Heat up the glue at the top, pry it open a bit. Put in a wooden wedge or equivelent so it doesn't re glue itself. Repeat this until the the light can be pryed apart totally. If you take your time and won't go all HULK on it you'll be fine. I cracked open a few head headlights with no issues you just use common sense on when you can apply force or not.

Painting the inside I would highly recommend some light sanding, high adhesive primer, and light coats of paint. Take the time to paint it properly cause it shows in the end.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
you mean something like the following?

[Image: zx5-black-grill.jpg]
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

The hood would look good if done in true black. Anything less would be a crime.

A black grille on a light car will either accentuate what you've already done, or make it look boring as hell. Not sure what it will do to yours, so good luck! Maybe a spare grille could be used instead. That way you can go back to stock if you don't like it.

The headlights? It could be very sweet... just make sure you use a spare set! I'm doing something similar (maybe even this weekend) and I'll be using a spare set of headlights for the project. The painting is a lot of prep time, but if you've taken your time and have a steady hand... you'll come out ahead.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
just keep in mind opening your headlights up to paint them could void your warentee, on them if you have leakage issues later on.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 9 2006, 07:44 AM Wrote:The hood would look good if done in true black. Anything less would be a crime.

A black grille on a light car will either accentuate what you've already done, or make it look boring as hell. Not sure what it will do to yours, so good luck! Maybe a spare grille could be used instead. That way you can go back to stock if you don't like it.

The headlights? It could be very sweet... just make sure you use a spare set! I'm doing something similar (maybe even this weekend) and I'll be using a spare set of headlights for the project. The painting is a lot of prep time, but if you've taken your time and have a steady hand... you'll come out ahead.
[right][snapback]169269[/snapback][/right]

Just out of sheer curiousity, where could i get a "spare" set without buying brand new from the dealers???

Where did you get yours from, and what did you pay for them? If you don't mind me asking
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
Slimsride,Feb 9 2006, 02:59 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 9 2006, 07:44 AM Wrote:The hood would look good if done in true black. Anything less would be a crime.

Just out of sheer curiousity, where could i get a "spare" set without buying brand new from the dealers???

Where did you get yours from, and what did you pay for them? If you don't mind me asking
[right][snapback]169458[/snapback][/right]

The fact NOS doesn't have an 05... is the mail reason right there. :lol: I doubt you'll easily find a set of 05 headlights. Otherwise, that'd be an awesome mod to do, and take your time with for sure.

As for the hood stripes... I can't see that working too well unless it's professionally done... or you put alot of effort into getting some basic vinylwork done.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
ship your lights to me and I'll do it :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Feb 9 2006, 10:14 PM Wrote:ship your lights to me and I'll do it :)
[right][snapback]169483[/snapback][/right]

On the mk 1 focus you could find pre cut vinyl stripes on ebay from time to time that were meant specifically for the hood like you wanted. It looks ok I guess. ;)

As for the lights, blacked out lights on a silver car looks stupid. it'll make it stick out even more than they do now.
Run your car, not your mouth
Zoom,Feb 9 2006, 07:00 PM Wrote:
nass,Feb 9 2006, 10:14 PM Wrote:ship your lights to me and I'll do it :)
[right][snapback]169483[/snapback][/right]

On the mk 1 focus you could find pre cut vinyl stripes on ebay from time to time that were meant specifically for the hood like you wanted. It looks ok I guess. ;)

As for the lights, blacked out lights on a silver car looks stupid. it'll make it stick out even more than they do now.
[right][snapback]169493[/snapback][/right]

ur alive oh my GOD
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
There we go...

I'VE BEEN WHORED!!!!!

BWAHHAHAHHAH

Mods so far:
Slimsride,Feb 9 2006, 02:59 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]169458[/snapback][/right]

Got my headlights when Jarrod (Focis8nt) sold me his stockers. Think I paid 100 for the pair, shipped. Got a feeling he did me a favour on the price, and they shipped with the Eurolite H4s I'm running right now.

Your best bet is to vulture the scrapyards, look for side/rear impact cars and pray the light covers survived.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
The stripe on the hood is awful.

I applaud your wanting to do something different, but please don't do it.

And if you go with vinyl.... It will

a: cause your paint to fade (take it from a guy who removed stock pinstriping)

b: Curl and peel off causing the job to look even more ghetto.

Less is more.

The LEDs are enough.
I painted the inside of my lights last summer. Wasn't very hard at all, just takes some time and patience. Watch your fingies too, have a nice scar from my knife (cutting seals).
2002 Infra-red ZTS
IMHO

paint the grille surround body colour, paint the mesh black, tint the headlights just a tad, or leave em alone.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...