Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question: Regarding Dealerships
I have a question regarding how a dealership works. I've had a couple of issues regarding the dealership where I purchased my vehicle. My question(s) is/are, Do dealerships profit for any warranty work done? or does it cost the dealership to do the work? I no longer want to have any dealings with the dealership where they make any money off of the transaction.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
The dealership gets paid via Ford for any warranty work. Let the dealership go and move on. If you were on the west side of the GTA I could recommend dealers, but good luck finding a decent one.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
(11-25-2011, 02:54 AM)oldeguy Wrote: I've had a couple of issues

meford is right.

Hmmm, what kind of issues?
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
(11-25-2011, 03:43 AM)meford4u Wrote: The dealership gets paid via Ford for any warranty work. Let the dealership go and move on. If you were on the west side of the GTA I could recommend dealers, but good luck finding a decent one.

Just to add some detail to this ... the labour rate that Ford pays for work is significantly lower than the rate that you and I would pay, and of course the dealer makes next to nothing on the parts.

A shop that isn't very busy will welcome warranty work ... a shop that is very busy usually resents the warranty stuff as it tends to lower their average return per bay.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(11-25-2011, 06:29 AM)CanadaSVT Wrote:

meford is right.

Issue #1: Coincidental? to me finding the car through the internet we asked for, at another dealer, on the same day my salesman calls to say he has found our car
Issue#2: A seatbelt clip broke on the middle seatbelt, no big deal, things break. Brought the car in to be fixed, after the dealer had seen the car, and ordered the part. Had to wait two weeks for the part, by the way. It turns out the wrong part was ordered.......still waiting for it to be fixed.
Issue #3: Ordered a K&N air filter from the Parts Dept., October 25th, as they said they get it cheaper but, still waiting.
Issue#4: Found out that, after being told the Service Dept. was open on Saturdays, that it is open on Saturdays, but only for oil changes and tire changes.
Issue #5: Originally, we got financing through the dealer, no big deal. We could afford the payments. We also purchased a few of the "extras" that they want you to buy at the time of purchase, including life insurance and disability insurance. We found our own financing in September and were told by the dealer that we would get the insurances refunded by the end of October. The end of October came and went, on November 10th.called the dealer's finance manager four or five times to see what was going on. They finally called back saying that first, it was our fault for waiting so long, secondly were told that the insurance company told them that the fax was incomplete so they couldn't process the refund. Called the General Manager of the dealership, saying this was unacceptable, as we felt that in a good business the fax receiver would call the fax sender telling them that the fax didn't go through.....the finance manager called us to say that the fax was resent on November 15th. and it'll take 30 days to receive our refund. Asked for and received the insurance claim number and phone number of the company from the dealership. Called the insurance company on November 16th. to give them a little customer service reminder, regarding communication between companies, and were told that the first that the insurance company had heard of this claim refund request was on November 15th........so someone is lying to the little old customers who want their money back. I dunno, has a dealership ever lied to a customer before?

K&N Filter.....
(11-25-2011, 10:06 PM)oldeguy Wrote:

meford is right.

Issue #1: Coincidental? to me finding the car through the internet we asked for, at another dealer, on the same day my salesman calls to say he has found our car
Issue#2: A seatbelt clip broke on the middle seatbelt, no big deal, things break. Brought the car in to be fixed, after the dealer had seen the car, and ordered the part. Had to wait two weeks for the part, by the way. It turns out the wrong part was ordered.......still waiting for it to be fixed.
Issue #3: Ordered a K&N air filter from the Parts Dept., October 25th, as they said they get it cheaper but, still waiting.
Issue#4: Found out that, after being told the Service Dept. was open on Saturdays, that it is open on Saturdays, but only for oil changes and tire changes.
Issue #5: Originally, we got financing through the dealer, no big deal. We could afford the payments. We also purchased a few of the "extras" that they want you to buy at the time of purchase, including life insurance and disability insurance. We found our own financing in September and were told by the dealer that we would get the insurances refunded by the end of October. The end of October came and went, on November 10th.called the dealer's finance manager four or five times to see what was going on. They finally called back saying that first, it was our fault for waiting so long, secondly were told that the insurance company told them that the fax was incomplete so they couldn't process the refund. Called the General Manager of the dealership, saying this was unacceptable, as we felt that in a good business the fax receiver would call the fax sender telling them that the fax didn't go through.....the finance manager called us to say that the fax was resent on November 15th. and it'll take 30 days to receive our refund. Asked for and received the insurance claim number and phone number of the company from the dealership. Called the insurance company on November 16th. to give them a little customer service reminder, regarding communication between companies, and were told that the first that the insurance company had heard of this claim refund request was on November 15th........so someone is lying to the little old customers who want their money back. I dunno, has a dealership ever lied to a customer before?

You may want to keep #1 and #4 in mind when choosing the next dealer to purchase from, but if I was in your shoes I would simply be looking at the service aspect now, from the pov of what's best and most convenient for you.

If they are conveniently located, give reasonable service and have hours you can live with, then don't sweat the other stuff.

I understand the desire to not support a dealership you believe has done you wrong, but in the end it will cost you time and aggravation by making that your priority.

If another dealer is more convenient for service, then go there; if not, stick with what you've got.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(11-25-2011, 11:08 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(11-25-2011, 10:06 PM)oldeguy Wrote:

meford is right.

You may want to keep #1 and #4 in mind when choosing the next dealer to purchase from, but if I was in your shoes I would simply be looking at the service aspect now, from the pov of what's best and most convenient for you.

If they are conveniently located, give reasonable service and have hours you can live with, then don't sweat the other stuff.

I understand the desire to not support a dealership you believe has done you wrong, but in the end it will cost you time and aggravation by making that your priority.

If another dealer is more convenient for service, then go there; if not, stick with what you've got.

Actually, they are only convenient when my wife goes to her dentist. I know this sounds stupid, and it is......but, we bought from them because the salesman spent a lot of time with me and my dog. Our dog found the floor to be very clean and comfortable. They also gave us the employee discount the day before it was starting as well as free oil changes for 4 years. There is a dealer two blocks away from my work, and a dealer in Oshawa that is open for service on Saturdays, they did my springs on the ZTS on a Saturday, and the parts guys are very good. ( I bought most of the emergency stuff I needed from them )
K&N Filter.....
that oshawa dealership better not be fraser ford.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(11-26-2011, 03:13 AM)Mystake Wrote: that oshawa dealership better not be fraser ford.

WHY?????
K&N Filter.....
I have had nothing but good dealings with Fraser Ford.....
Formula.... Well they are the reason I switched to Fraser

I'd only get your free oil changes done where you bought it and get the rest done else where
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
Fraser Ford had my focus in their dealership to diagnose why it wasn't running right directly after an engine swap.

They called me to tell me the car was fixed and gave it back to me still not running right. drivable but not running right.

I left and then brought it right back within 2 minutes of being gone. They sent me off for a test drive with the mech who worked on my car... my car is jerking around... guy says he thinks its a slipping clutch and that some oil may have leaked on it from the previous engine. I went to canadian tire and did a spark plug change and that problem went away.

However, the car still wasn't running right so I took it to Shanahan Ford after Fraser gave me the run around. First thing they did was replace the MAF based on one test drive. The mechanic was absolutely sure of it. This despite the fact that Fraser Ford had cleaned it.

Again, I got the car back and it ran better but still not right. Bla bla the rest of with Shanahan but regardless I'd go back to them in a heartbeat.

Giving me the car back when it clearly didn't run right was downright stupid. They didn't solve the misfire, they didn't solve the pinging, they didn't solve the electrical issues. They didn't solve a thing. Most of the work they did was shortcut work like clean the MAF instead of replacing, or not replacing teh spark plugs on a freshly swapped engine from the wreckers (they knew the car was fresh out of a swap). They flashed the ECU but by missing the electrical issues it ended up frying and having to be replaced by shanahan.

realistically I wasted about 6-700$ by taking my car to Fraser and like I said above they gave me the run around. It was extremely unprofessional.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
I think we need a section on the site to call out crappy dealerships.

I'll be suing mine in the near future...

Here's the experience I've had with Donway
1) Ordered wrong colour on initial order (wait 3 months extra)
2) Didn't order the wheels I requested until the car came in (wait 1 extra month)
3) Didn't install TPMS in new wheels (wait 2 weeks, and argue that they should pay for it)
4) Didn't size either wheels/tires -- rubbing (wait 3 weeks for fix -- they paid for)
5) Had tint redone 7 times and finally got refunded for continued crappy work (they also broke a line in the rear defroster)
6) Let them change tires after breakin , didn't program TPMS (did it myself) -- they lost locking nut key
7) They ordered new Lugnut key -- wrong one.. .try again.
8 through 22) After car broken into, 14 trips, missing pieces, no followup, damage to car, etc etc etc.

once I get my key to the lug nuts, I'm officially done with Donway Ford... until I get a court date anyways...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

oops.. forgot one more:

ordered touch up paint from the parts counter (in person, since I was there every other day this summer) twice before they actually got me the part -- and I had to call them to followup on it too.

There's a couple of decent people there -- Doug McPhearson, and John in service come to mind, but I'd call out Ryan in Collision and Matt, the service manager as people who don't give a s**t (complete with supporting evidence).
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!