Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Air Intake Or Short Ram?
Ok so I have my exhaust lined up and I know I want to get the 65mm TB I am just undecided about weather I should go CAI or SR. So I would just like to hear other peoples thoughts.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
cai... is great... except in very bad weather... we got caught in pratically a monsoon then the tepature dropped 15 degrees below...

well long story short, the car was trying to get air threw its new icecube of a filter...

Now thats cold air....

There was no damage, but the car ran like crap for a couple hours.

Eventually i'm turning my cai into a sr...
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
Cold air intake hands down. Steeda's bad experience should have been covered by his stock intake. I ran a Cold Air intake (not a short ram) all summer and then when I used to drive my ride in the winter I changed back over to the Stock intake. So if you dont mind changing back to your stock intake every winter choose an AEM CAI (what I own). If not go with an SRI. I know for a fact a lot of the guys like the Volant. Im sure I'll get some back up on that. As for my opinion I still love my AEM CAI.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
Yeah, I'd say CAI too.

I've never had a short ram, but they look to me like they'd be sucking in a lot of engine heat in hot weather.
Burnin21,Jan 28 2007, 11:22 AM Wrote:Cold air intake hands down. Steeda's bad experience should have been covered by his stock intake. I ran a Cold Air intake (not a short ram) all summer and then when I used to drive my ride in the winter I changed back over to the Stock intake. So if you dont mind changing back to your stock intake every winter choose an AEM CAI (what I own). If not go with an SRI. I know for a fact a lot of the guys like the Volant. Im sure I'll get some back up on that. As for my opinion I still love my AEM CAI.
[right][snapback]224855[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I was leaning towards AEM the only thing I don't like is the price. I found a supplier on ebay but it would probably take forever to get. AEM is my number 1 choice.
EBAY AEM SUPPLIER
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
AEM or Injen CAI. No question, no contest.

SPEND THE MONEY.

Ran an AEM polished CAI ALL YEAR with NO bypass valve, and never had ANY problems with my engine getting water into it via the intake. The AEM and Injen may be the most expensive, but for a reason. They give you the most hp gains over the entire rpm band, and a boost in torque as well in the upper rpm's out of any intakes. You can find a comparison about intakes on FJ. Like anything else on your car, if you are gonna do something to it, do it right, and spend the money. If you can't afford the real deal, then wait a bit longer until you can.

SRI's are just noisemakers to me...

Nuff Said.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
SmokeBCBuDZ,Jan 28 2007, 04:42 PM Wrote:
Burnin21,Jan 28 2007, 11:22 AM Wrote:Cold air intake hands down. Steeda's bad experience should have been covered by his stock intake. I ran a Cold Air intake (not a short ram) all summer and then when I used to drive my ride in the winter I changed back over to the Stock intake. So if you dont mind changing back to your stock intake every winter choose an AEM CAI (what I own). If not go with an SRI. I know for a fact a lot of the guys like the Volant. Im sure I'll get some back up on that. As for my opinion I still love my AEM CAI.
[right][snapback]224855[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I was leaning towards AEM the only thing I don't like is the price. I found a supplier on ebay but it would probably take forever to get. AEM is my number 1 choice.
EBAY AEM SUPPLIER
[right][snapback]224876[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the input! Just more reinforcement on the AEM. BTW how often do you clean and oil your filter?

well they say every oil change....i do it every other one........(its a special kit for cleaning)

+ for Volant (u can convert it to CAI )
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
I cleaned and oiled my filter usually once every 2 months or so...depending on how the weather and conditions out on the road have been. Some of the new AEM CAI's have the new 2nd gen "oiless" filters, that you need to only clean and let air dry overnight.

Once I had the AEM combined with the FC 65mm TB, 9mm FR wires, and the MBRP exhaust, my car was obviously faster. I'd say I had a 10-12hp increase with all of those things combined. I would have done even better with cam gears and had the cam timing dialled in, as well as some tuning...could have had closer to the Mfr's rated 130hp, but at the wheels.

An intake or exhaust alone will only give you 2-4 extra hp, but will work best when paired with other items like I had.

The only mod that you can do to the engine that pays lots of hp and tq dividends for the amount invested is forced induction, or a completely built engine. You'll find that you can spend half the value of a S/C or turbo kit on just bolt-ons, and it is only going to give you 15-20 more hp over baseline.

If you wanna just do minor things like I did (spent more time and money on the suspension and whatnot), then go with the AEM or Injen CAI, FC or FS Tb, 9mm wires or Screamin Demon livewires, and a 2nd gen MBRP exhaust. With a car with a 5 spd, you'll be able to outrun stock Foci all day long with just those mods.

L8tr
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Vote for Short Ram. True you may not get every extra HP by going SRI over CAI, but I prefer a setup that has less chance of blowing up in my face.

Killing a motor using a short ram would be a feat, with a cold air intake where the filter is that much closer to the ground, its that much more likely that water or snow or something bogs up the filter and pooches the motor.

NefCanuck
I'd have to go with a short ram. The fewlost ponies add to my piece of mind.
they say Venom is the best one still
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Intercooled Turbo :lol: short ram is safer but if I get and intake before my turbo it will be a cai just because of the few extra horses .
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short Ram Intake Canadian ST 17 4,389 04-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Last Post: zx5chris
  Focus Screamin Demon Coil /cold Air Intake FastandFocusZTS 11 3,883 10-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Last Post: ZX3TUNING
  Installed My Cold Air Intake.. focusonthis88 9 2,474 05-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  Custom Cold Air Intake FociS8nt 5 1,735 05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Last Post: paulicat