Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinking
Hi all, I guess the title says it all. My SPI is pinking at low revs. Started about 2 months ago (been busy...lol) and I don't know why it would do it, with all the computerisation it's got (ok ok, it's not THAT sophisticated, but still..lol). I'm using regular fuel, as usual. My EGR is blocked off due to a cracked pipe. Other than that, it's stock. 2.0SPI, 2000.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scorp
If the EGR is causing the problem, why not get a xcal2 and disable the sucker.

Other than that, change the fuel filter, check the fuel pump, clean the injectors, check for proper spark and timing.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Just roll it into the dealer or a good machanic and have him chec the above stated by Oscar.
ANTHONYD,Aug 11 2006, 09:20 AM Wrote:Just roll it into the dealer or a good machanic and have him chec the above stated by Oscar.
[right][snapback]201966[/snapback][/right]

Bah! Thats all stuff he can check out himself if hes comfortable & handy with a wrench!!

When is the last time the stuff Oscar mentioned was looked at on the car?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Have you tried switching gas stations? Are you using a decent, reputable station for your gas? The quality of gas in those "no name" stations is rather shocking. And I don't mean shocking in a good way.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
dpfe? even though the tube is disconnected.... some things that aren't there might cause issues
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
Hey, thanks for the replies people.

Ok, I'll check the timing etc, might be out. I don;t know when it was done, as I only bought the car in January.
As for fuel, I use Ultramar, Shell, Canadian Tire...whoever is cheapest at the time.

Yes, I can check all the above myself....but anyone know where I can get a list of the necessary specs?

And the DPFE, yes, I thought that as well, but I have no clue about it, so wasn't sure. I have a week off next week, so hope to be able to replace the EGR tube, then work on the rest.

Thanks again,
Scorp.
Scorpion,Aug 14 2006, 06:24 PM Wrote:As for fuel, I use Ultramar, Shell, Canadian Tire...whoever is cheapest at the time.
[right][snapback]202377[/snapback][/right]

Ouch... crappy tire water, I mean gas. I use Sunoco, or Esso, and with my Ranger I noticed a difference in stations (mileage and feel). Try sticking to only one or two stations, I bet you'll notice a difference in the long run at least.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
when i had a cut up egr tube on my car, the exhaust leak made it sound like the car was pinging, but it was really just noise from the engine that i wouldn't normally hear.. perhaps you are experiencing something similar?

also, when you are pinging at low rpm, are you putting the engine under a lot of load, like say.. going up a steep hill slowly in a high gear?
No sir, no load, just on a straight road at low revs, like on take off from a stop etc.

As for the EGR, it is blocked at the manifold.....

I'm gonna chack it out this week, as I'm off for a week break.
However, anyone know where I can get the specs for timing etc?

Thanks,
Scorp.