Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leafs Are Out!
PIGEON1,Apr 16 2006, 09:24 PM Wrote:I don't know about the rest of you but I think every team blows ***king ass since the walk out. They are getting millions to play a game I love to play and would do for the same paycheck I get from the Military ($50K/yr).

I always wanted to be in the NHL as a kid but realized in high school I was a fool to think I could ever be able too. Then these over paided spoiled little *itches ask for more money, which comes out of my pocket in the long run.  :angry:

How dare they try and squeeze even more money out of someone who is willing to pay the price they are are already charging me to cheer for them.  :o

Like the old saying goes, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (be happy with the s*** you already got cause I know know I would).

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
[right][snapback]181482[/snapback][/right]
Musicians make $$ because they are talented.

Writers make $$ because they are talented.

Artists make $$ because they are talented.

Being a professional athlete is no different. If we all had that talent, we could get that money too.

Just about anybody can join the military. (No offense, I mean it as a generality) Just about anybody can do a majority of jobs out there if they set their mind to it. But not anybody can make it to the NHL, NBA, NFL, what have you.

Just a point. The hockey strike wasn't over making more money, it was about maintaining the status quo. The CBA was up, the owners wanted salary rollbacks. Whether you make $10 an hour or $1000 an hour, nobody wants a salary rollback. It's no different than if you were at the end of your stint and the military told you that you could come back for $40G, what would you do? Say, "Yessir" and go back? Or would you say "call me when you get a clue"?

While the dollar amount is different, the principle is the same.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Apr 16 2006, 08:56 PM Wrote:It's no different than if you were at the end of your stint and the military told you that you could come back for $40G, what would you do? Say, "Yessir" and go back? Or would you say "call me when you get a clue"?

[right][snapback]181488[/snapback][/right]

I don't normally disagree with you OAC but do on this one.

IT'S VERY DIFFERENT.

At the end of it all hockey is a game, a military life is something higher.

In general, people in the military aren't in it for anything to do with money.

It's not possible because they get a pretty s***ty pay scale and know it. They are there for some very solid reasons. Granted it's rare but there are still some who truly do value words like duty, service and are indeed proud of where they live. Most would go back no matter how little the pay was. I know because I kept saying "Yessir" for 12 years. The motto when I joined was "be twice the citizen".

I know you didn't mean it in the sense I am taking it but I just took offence to the example you used. Substitute McDonalds for military and I wouldn't have said a thing ;)

Edit: For example if I was "needed" I'd go back despite the fact it would mean a MASSIVE pay cut. As it turns out, post 9/11, I am now more usefull to the military in a "go between" role (between the government & my industry) and spend a lot of time working with them on what is best for everyone.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
The Leafs have inhabited Flounder Road for years. They're a great idea wrapped up in Quinnisms, and not quite viable.

Mats was good, he had some recent twinkles, but it's time to move on.

The team a few years back was a contender for sure, but even I, a displaced Toronto fan, have a hard time keeping up with this new and improved roster.

Less shuffle, more research and consistency.

As for bandwagons? Nah. If I was a bandwagon jumper, there'd be a Honda in my driveway! :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
2001 ZTS,Apr 16 2006, 10:19 AM Wrote:I may have been in diapers but at least I was alive when the Leafs last won the cup.

I'll probably be in Depends™ before they do it next.
[right][snapback]181400[/snapback][/right]

My father came to Canada on permanent basis in '67 and was dragged down to teh Stanley Cup parade that spring not knowing what the hell was going on (Switzerland wasn't very big into ice hockey at the time)

I'd like him to see a Stanley Cup parade down Yonge St. where he knows what's going on <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 16 2006, 10:25 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Apr 16 2006, 10:19 AM Wrote:I may have been in diapers but at least I was alive when the Leafs last won the cup.

I'll probably be in Depends™ before they do it next.
[right][snapback]181400[/snapback][/right]

My father came to Canada on permanent basis in '67 and was dragged down to teh Stanley Cup parade that spring not knowing what the hell was going on (Switzerland wasn't very big into ice hockey at the time)

I'd like him to see a Stanley Cup parade down Yonge St. where he knows what's going on <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]181503[/snapback][/right]

Hate to dissapoint but it ain't going to happen. Apparantly it is not "allowed" by Maple Leaf Entertaiment Inc. ™ "?

I think it is part of Harold's will?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahah

BAAHWHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

i told you, i told you before the season even started! Everyone was like "this is the year!! OMGWTFBBQ!! the cup is coming home!!!".

I feel bad for you guys, holding on to false dreams.

Im pretty sure the Raptors will win an NBA title before the leafs bring the cup home.

And we all know how likely the raptors will bring that home!! :lol:
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
FociPhil,Apr 17 2006, 12:21 PM Wrote:hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahah

BAAHWHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

i told you, i told you before the season even started! Everyone was like "this is the year!! OMGWTFBBQ!! the cup is coming home!!!".

Im pretty sure the Raptors will win an NBA title before the leafs bring the cup home.

[right][snapback]181612[/snapback][/right]

who said they were bringing the cup home this year? saskatoon news outlets?

I don't think anybody following the leafs said that... at the best, "well, let's just wait and see", but never, "they're going all the way!".. even I, who watches little to no hockey knew it wasn't going to happen.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Apr 17 2006, 05:07 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Apr 17 2006, 12:21 PM Wrote:hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahah

BAAHWHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

[right][snapback]181612[/snapback][/right]

who said they were bringing the cup home this year? saskatoon news outlets?

I don't think anybody following the leafs said that... at the best, "well, let's just wait and see", but never, "they're going all the way!".. even I, who watches little to no hockey knew it wasn't going to happen.
[right][snapback]181623[/snapback][/right]

you have to admit they were on a pretty good run there before the christmas break. They had me going until the 13 straight losses that's when I offically jumped off the wagon :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
2001 ZTS,Apr 16 2006, 09:55 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Apr 16 2006, 08:56 PM Wrote:It's no different than if you were at the end of your stint and the military told you that you could come back for $40G, what would you do? Say, "Yessir" and go back? Or would you say "call me when you get a clue"?

[right][snapback]181488[/snapback][/right]

I don't normally disagree with you OAC but do on this one.

IT'S VERY DIFFERENT.

At the end of it all hockey is a game, a military life is something higher.

In general, people in the military aren't in it for anything to do with money.

It's not possible because they get a pretty s***ty pay scale and know it. They are there for some very solid reasons. Granted it's rare but there are still some who truly do value words like duty, service and are indeed proud of where they live. Most would go back no matter how little the pay was. I know because I kept saying "Yessir" for 12 years. The motto when I joined was "be twice the citizen".

I know you didn't mean it in the sense I am taking it but I just took offence to the example you used. Substitute McDonalds for military and I wouldn't have said a thing ;)

Edit: For example if I was "needed" I'd go back despite the fact it would mean a MASSIVE pay cut. As it turns out, post 9/11, I am now more usefull to the military in a "go between" role (between the government & my industry) and spend a lot of time working with them on what is best for everyone.
[right][snapback]181499[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, That is exactly what I was trying to get at. I do my "job" because I LOVE to say I serve my country, nd wouldn't do another job for all the money that could be humanly offered to me by someone.
Don't get me wrong I love the game of hockey for what it is meant to be and thats's our national "pass time" sport. It's ne of a few sports we have offered to the world and we all as Canadians should be able to enjoy it affordably. :)
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
I spent 3 years in the military myself; I'm not saying that "the calling" is the same, I am saying that in terms of pay, nobody likes a wage rollback. Regardless if it's $50G, or $5M.

(And like I said, I wasn't trying to offend anyone, that's why I said,

Quote:Just about anybody can join the military. (No offense, I mean it as a generality) Just about anybody can do a majority of jobs out there if they set their mind to it.

You make your mind up to join, I was planning a military career before circumstances changed for me (a family). Before the proverbial crap hit the fan I was accepted to RMC for engineering. My reserve stint was a foot in the door. ).

So, now that the salary cap is in place and the players got a pay cut, whose favorite team's ticket price went down?

I haven't seen any.

And that's my point.

The owners won their little battle. And the fans still are sufferring. Remember when the owners went on about how the cost of tickets were because of the outrageous salaries?

Whose pockets is that money in now?
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
hahaa i did a search for stanley cup...

i got alot of results..."lord stanley, here we come!" and "we are going all the way"

but most were followed by these :huh: :lol: :rolleyes: <_<

my bad! hahaha
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...