Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focuscanada.net Has A Folding@home Team
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 28 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:I'd strongly suggest you get upper-level approval, as there's been many instances of people being fired for downloading / installing software and using it without corporate consent.

If you can, great :) If not, don't sweat it.
[right][snapback]125956[/snapback][/right]

well these things aren't bandwidth hogs are they? don't they just grab some algorithm and compute it and send it back? not sure how all this really does work. If it's not bandwidth whoring then it's fine.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Once they download a work unit, they "chew on it" or "crunch it" (as you're apt to hear me say the latter a lot) and then upload the results to Stanford University.

Getting consent has nothing to do with bandwidth, really. It has to do with getting permission (as I mentioned, and you quoted it) from your superiors who are authorized to give such permissions.

It's quite the honorable project to run, and a lot of companys back their technically-minded employees who want to run it. I haven't had the time to even bring it up in the last week alone. As it stands, one of the new contributions came from my boss as we were throwing out that old P-III box anyways. I told him what it would be used for and he was all for it.

In the past they didn't want that sort of stuff on the client PCs, and I completely understand why. It adds a level of strain or wear and tear to the computers that they normally don't encounter as office machines. It shouldn't really lower their lifespan any, but why give it the opportunity. That's the view of a lot of spending-conscious companies.

If they let you run it, great. If not, that's fine too. I'm sure we'll all make a contribution in our own way.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remember I Was Talking About Folding@home? NOS2Go4Me 12 3,269 09-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Aka