Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capacitor Question
So I'm sitting here at work, waiting away while my amp is getting installed over at one of the audio places here in North Bay, Shark Mobile if you need to know, and I though, will I need to get a capacitor installed as well for my setup? All I have is a 300W Alpine Amp... I know its not a big deal to install a capacitor, wiring wise. But is it worth it? Will the 300W draw kill my alternator sometime down the road?

Would it also be needed to do a "Big Three"?

:unsure:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Oscar The Grouch,Apr 15 2005, 12:00 PM Wrote:So I'm sitting here at work, waiting away while my amp is getting installed over at one of the audio places here in North Bay, Shark Mobile if you need to know, and I though, will I need to get a capacitor installed as well for my setup?  All I have is a 300W Alpine Amp...  I know its not a big deal to install a capacitor, wiring wise. But is it worth it?  Will the 300W draw kill my alternator sometime down the road?

Would it also be needed to do a "Big Three"?

:unsure:
[right][snapback]101866[/snapback][/right]

I've been running a 340w amp without a cap for 2 years. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't ground it properly. I think a cap for anything less than 500w is overkill. I'm planning on adding a second 300w amp maybe come July/August... in which case I obviously would wanna use a cap, but you don't need one with just a little 300w...
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Raine,Apr 15 2005, 12:43 PM Wrote:I've been running a 340w amp without a cap for 2 years. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't ground it properly. I think a cap for anything less than 500w is overkill. I'm planning on adding a second 300w amp maybe come July/August... in which case I obviously would wanna use a cap, but you don't need one with just a little 300w...
[right][snapback]101883[/snapback][/right]

Like Raine said, you don't need a cap for the little power that the amp gives. But, it's not a bad idea to but one to save some power for something else. But If I where you I wouldn't go buy one.
Turbo arrived!
Every 1 Farad capcitance is good for 1000W peak. I wouldn't bother with a cap at all. I have one 500W RMS amp and another 300W RMS amp in my system. Last summer I ran it with no cap and it seemed alright. This summer I added in a cap just to help the alternator and battery out!

I don't think you'll need one!
Yeah you problably don't need a cap. But the "big three" would be a good little insurance, and defineately costs less than a cap.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
skifreak69,Apr 15 2005, 07:34 PM Wrote:Yeah you problably don't need a cap. But the "big three" would be a good little insurance, and defineately costs less than a cap.
[right][snapback]101940[/snapback][/right]

I new I forgot something. Do the big three it really helps!
I'm running about 800W rms and i've never used a cap! It will not hurt but, I don't think they are necessary until you are at the 1000W RMS level!! Even then, if your car is newer, such as the Focus' it won't kill anything...

I personally wouldn't even bother with a cap unless you go really big output!
microbunny,Apr 16 2005, 09:19 AM Wrote:I'm running about 800W rms and i've never used a cap! It will not hurt but, I don't think they are necessary until you are at the 1000W RMS level!! Even then, if your car is newer, such as the Focus' it won't kill anything...

I personally wouldn't even bother with a cap unless you go really big output!
[right][snapback]102010[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the help guys.

I got the system installed yesterday and I'll post pics ASAP.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Meh, Cap's are for suckers.... technically im running 1000rms+ with 3 amps for my temporary system, and theres no real drain on the car. meh, i honestly havent noticed a difference with or without my cap.

fyi... with my next setup 3000wrms i wont be using a cap :D
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I have 2300 watts RMS running and the focuses electrical system seems to holding up so far, I havent wired in the caps yet but since I have them Ill use them, but then again wattage isnt always the indicator, check how much amperage you are drawing, Im drawing at a peak bass note upwards of 360amps and what the cap does is allows the system at that draw to maintain voltage for short burts, what you will find is that if you run your system with out caps and have a ton of draw that your system will lose dbs.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
I cheated. i have a redtop sitting in my trunk. waiting to be wired up, once the HIoutput alt comes in :lol:
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Apr 20 2005, 05:43 PM Wrote:I cheated. i have a redtop sitting in my trunk. waiting to be wired up, once the HIoutput alt comes in  :lol:
[right][snapback]103084[/snapback][/right]

That's a good idea. Where can we get better-than-stock alternators for the Focus?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I gots me a yellow top. That makes quite a difference as well as teh Zero gauge ground upgrades.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
Im getting mine off IRAGGI Alternator.... he builds alts for competition vehicles. but luckily he makes one for the focus.

he has 2 lines

the dominator line... 90 amp idle 180,200,220 amp max
and
the ampuator line... 150amp idle, 200,220 amp max.

personally im going with the ampuator 220amp

but then i found out he has a 260amp model that goes for about 600us.

Then again, these are all for the ZETEC. i'm not too sure what they have for the spi.
05 Altima SE-R
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 20 2005, 10:23 PM Wrote:That's a good idea. Where can we get better-than-stock alternators for the Focus?

For almost all applications, the stock alternator on the Focus is more than adequate. I've driven vehicles with sub 100A alternators that handles 1000+ watt systems. Our alternators are not a weak link, but the wires under our hoods are. If you're using a 1/0 guage power cable, and an 8 guage wire for your battery ground, you have a huge bottleneck.

Go buy some bulk runs or 1/0AWG welding cable, it's really cheap. It has a thick sleeve and it's copper, the only things you need to worry about with power wire. Buy some beefy ends and clap them on, then go through your wiring under the hood and replace your ground, your engine/chassis ground, and your main alternator power cable with the bigger wire. Now welding cable uses a low strand count so it's not overly flexible, but it really doesn't need to be for this application so it's perfect and the price is right. Run the cable to the ass of the car The end result is better current flow to and from the battery and alternator, making the purchase of a cap pointless.

Think about it, if you add a cap to the system, it needs charging. What charges that cap? Your alternator. In the end, the cap is just another strain on the whole system.

As for beefier alternators, and Optima batteries. If it's time for a replacement because the old one is shot, or you want the battery as aa partial aesthetic mod, then by all means it's never a bad Iidea to upgrade. But until then, stock equipment in our case is more than adequate.

Luke.

2002 Malibu Blue ZX5 "Malibloo" RIP 2006 Sad
2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 "Tarmac" Eurofried Rice

Tarmac.
caps are like band aids, they dont fix anything. They will just cause more damage in the long haul to your stock alt./battery. I suggest the big three first, but a battery is always a good start. i dont believe in caps one bit. ive ran a 1200w rms and and a 300w rms amp with no cap and no big three on stock bat/alt. with little dimming. bass never missed a beat! heh
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awesome Capacitor scoobasteve 6 2,175 09-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Blackzx3