Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help
Alright guys the last time I got an oil change I think they spilt some oil and it is sitting between the the aluminum/steel looking cover that covers the stock header and the engine. Either that or it is something else. Anyways when I am driving there is a smell that comesfrom it of burning and when I turn the car off. It appears that this cover is basically if not resting against the engine itself. My question is do I really need this cover on or can I take it off with no worries? Has anyone else had this happen? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about

Focus Engine Shot
2000 ZX3 - H&R Sport Springs, Fast Wheels, Kumho Tires, MOMO Shift Knob and Boot, Shortened Shifter, K&N Cone Filter
That is just the heat shield, I've been running without mine and with a short header for 3 years now no problem however I have the hood liner.

Apparantly some have said the have had problems with a bare hood. I think it is pretty rare though. You could always get some sort of insulation for the area of the hood directly above.

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Nov 2 2004, 08:24 AM Wrote:That is just the heat shield, I've been running without mine and with a short header for 3 years now no problem however I have the hood liner.

Apparantly some have said the have had problems with a bare hood. I think it is pretty rare though. You could always get some sort of insulation for the area of the hood directly above.
I have never really paid attention to the underside of my hood. Do some of our cars not have the hood liner? I'm still in work but I'll look when I get home this morning. Thanks for the advice though
2000 ZX3 - H&R Sport Springs, Fast Wheels, Kumho Tires, MOMO Shift Knob and Boot, Shortened Shifter, K&N Cone Filter
Ive had a similar problem with mine.. When i was driving the car would smell like something is burning and ive even had smoke enter the car a few times. What the problem was was a seal somwhere on the engine... i cant remember the name... ummm, rocker cover... or something... anways... check the top bolts on the engine and make sure their tight... because for some reason mine were very loose. It cost me about 100$ to get this fixed with the new seal and something... too bad i know nothing about engine work or else i woulda done it myself.... Oh also signs of this problem is oil leaking from the engine and burning off on ur headers (which sounds like what u have).. If you want to knwo exactly what the part is let me know and ill see if i can dig up the repair papers sometime today.. Hope this helps.

Paul.
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - 4 * 6x8 Pioneer 3Way Speakers, 1 * Kenwood 10 pounder, 1 * R.F 200 Watt AMP, Panasonic 783U Deck, Steeda.ca Short Shifter, Pedals, CAI. Soon to come magnaflow exaust, throttle body, SCT Chip with Steeda Tune, 1 X R.F 1200 Watt 4 channel amp.
Paul that would be great if you could let me know just in case it's it, maybe I'll check the bolts too just in case. Thanks a lot man.

Peter
ZX3 in progress,Nov 2 2004, 01:11 PM Wrote:I have never really paid attention to the underside of my hood. Do some of our cars not have the hood liner? I'm still in work but I'll look when I get home this morning. Thanks for the advice though
2001 was the last year for the hood liner. Lots and lots of people with 2001 & earlier cars have removed it as their very first mod, it probably weighs about 20lb.

It's primary purpose is noise reduction but I also have heard it is fire retardent, more likely it is somewhat fire resistant.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
i have seen valve cover/ rocker cover gaskets go on the zetec, they are $48.03 from ford part number YS4Z 6584 BA
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
2001 ZTS,Nov 2 2004, 08:19 AM Wrote:
ZX3 in progress,Nov 2 2004, 01:11 PM Wrote:I have never really paid attention to the underside of my hood. Do some of our cars not have the hood liner? I'm still in work but I'll look when I get home this morning. Thanks for the advice though
2001 was the last year for the hood liner. Lots and lots of people with 2001 & earlier cars have removed it as their very first mod, it probably weighs about 20lb.

It's primary purpose is noise reduction but I also have heard it is fire retardent, more likely it is somewhat fire resistant.
fire retatarded is more like it, my 91 4cyl mustang's alternator caught fire and after i put it out (yah i put it out) the hood line was still burning inside the layers!!, however it didn't burn my hood go figure
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
ZX3... you should really clean up that engine bay :blink: lol that's very nice dood, love to see that ;)

Yeah, the only issue with removing that shield is heat... I found that the stock manifold produced ALOT of heat, moreso than my shorty header did. I had no problems with no shield/shorty header but when I put the manifold back on my hoses at the front were getting VERY hot so I opted to put it back on... better safe than sorry I thought.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
Have you recently cleaned your engine bay or is it always that clean? This past summer I cleaned my engine bay with those degunker products and some gunk must have washed off the top of the engine and slid into the space between the heat shield and the header. My engine smelled of burning oil for 3 to 4 weeks until it finally burned off. :angry:
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Nov 2 2004, 06:27 PM Wrote:Have you recently cleaned your engine bay or is it always that clean? This past summer I cleaned my engine bay with those degunker products and some gunk must have washed off the top of the engine and slid into the space between the heat shield and the header. My engine smelled of burning oil for 3 to 4 weeks until it finally burned off. :angry:
<a href='http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:7DZ7p3VsSxwJ:ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-1253566reg.jpg'>[Image: pACE2-1253566reg.jpg]</a>
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
OK so I went to check this out today on the my car more thouroughly and started tightening the front 3 bolts cause like Iceblaza said they were loose. Well I did the 2 on the outside first and then the one in the middle was turning really loose and wierd so I looked closer and the fukin bolt is broken in the hole so it just pulled out? Now what do I do??
The stud part of the bolt is still in the thread but the head is snapped off?

If yes you need an extractor set (Canadian Tire for one has them).

sample pic:

<a href='http://www.pdsenterprises.com/tools/screwextractor.jpg'>[Image: screwextractor.jpg]</a>

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Nov 10 2004, 05:04 PM Wrote:The stud part of the bolt is still in the thread but the head is snapped off?

If yes you need an extractor set (Canadian Tire for one has them).

sample pic:

&lt;a href='http://www.pdsenterprises.com/tools/screwextractor.jpg'&gt;<a href='http://www.pdsenterprises.com/tools/screwextractor.jpg'>[Image: screwextractor.jpg]</a>&lt;/a&gt;
well ya I didn't take the whole valve cover off but it's broken down towards the bottom I'm guessing. I just went for dinner with my mom and on the way home the smell was bad and when I got home and popped the hood it was smokin like a bitch. Anyone think I'll have a problem driving it like that until I get it fixed tomorrow? I'm gonna have to get one of those set of extractors too I think.