Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 Dodge Challenger Is A Go
2008 Dodge Challenger is a Go
Chrysler Group President and CEO Tom LaSorda says nearly 35 years later, Dodge Challenger will return as the ultimate modern American muscle coupe as a 2008 model -- July 1, 2006

Chrysler Group President and CEO Tom LaSorda today announced that Dodge Challenger will return to production after a nearly 35-year hiatus. The unprecedented public response to Challenger concept leads to "green light" decision to build the all-new Dodge Challenger to debut in calendar-year 2008.

The announcement was made shortly before the Pepsi 400 NASCAR race at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla. Driving out with the Dodge Challenger was Chrysler Group Chief Operating Officer Eric Ridenour.

"We haven't seen this kind of spontaneous, passionate response to a car since we unveiled the Dodge Viper concept in 1989," said LaSorda. "But it's easy to see what people like about the Dodge Challenger. It's bold, powerful and capable. It's a modern take on one of the most iconic muscle cars, and sets a new standard for pure 'pony car' performance."

The 2008 Dodge Challenger will feature the long hood, short deck, wide stance and two-door coupe body style that distinguished the iconic Challengers of the 1970s. Chrysler plans to build the Dodge Challenger on the same platform as its rear-drive Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, which are built in Brampton, Ontario.

Chrysler Group COO Eric Ridenour says concept-to-production success story highlights focus on speed-to-market. "We drew on the rich heritage of the Dodge Challenger, but with contemporary forms and technologies," said Ridenour. "It's not just a re-creation; it's a reinterpretation."

Dodge's "Pony Car" in the 1970s
The Dodge Challenger made its debut in the fall of 1969 as a 1970 model. While it shared the "E-body" platform with the Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Challenger's wheelbase was two inches longer, creating more interior space.

The Dodge Challenger was originally offered as either a two-door hardtop or convertible. And, befitting the brand's performance heritage, the Dodge Challenger also went racing in its first year, competing most notably in the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Trans-Am series and National Hot Rod Association's Pro Stock class.

Although it was produced only from 1970 to 1974, the Dodge Challenger earned a reputation as one of the most desirable of the original "pony cars," with meticulously restored and rare examples today selling for six-figure prices.

In its first year, Dodge Challenger was offered in a limited-edition T/A model to meet homologation requirements for SCCA Trans-Am racing. In 1971, a Dodge Challenger paced the Indianapolis 500 race. New front-end styling in 1972 featured a larger, "egg-crate" grille. In April 1974, Challenger production ceased. Over a five-year span, approximately 188,600 Dodge Challengers were sold.

The Dodge Challenger is another chapter in Chrysler Group's long history of bringing concepts quickly to production, including the Dodge Viper, Plymouth Prowler, Chrysler PT Cruiser and Jeep Compass.

"Our product development system allows us to quickly turn concepts into high-quality production vehicles," said Ridenour. "We're justifiably proud of our speed to market, and Dodge Challenger is the latest example of our focus on getting gotta-have-it vehicles to our customers."
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Where's my 'Cuda? I want a Cuda. :D
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
will there be a convertible model, and will it be in the same price range as the mustang.

'03 Focus SVT
I've always loved the challenger/barracuda bodystyle. Much love for the E-body. Almost bought one a few years back to work on as a project car.

They sure did a heck of a job on this one, and definately kept to the original design as best they could.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Now THAT is deserving of a V8. What a classic.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Well since its now offical for Dodge, I guess GM will have no choice but to bring their Camaro out of retirement.
SVT ZX3,Jul 6 2006, 09:58 AM Wrote:Well since its now offical for Dodge, I guess GM will have no choice but to bring their Camaro out of retirement.
[right][snapback]196588[/snapback][/right]

Clears throat... F*** YEAH! :lol: I'll start working on my mullet.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Much better looking than the mustang IMO....well maybe its just something else to look at muscle car wise :rolleyes: :lol:

[Image: bilde.jpg]

If you got to dodge.com you can see the concept pics....they have a really cool gauge where it measures the cars performance. Doubt that will make it to prod but it would be cool if it did....

http://www.dodge.com/en/challenger/gallery/index.html
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
SVT ZX3,Jul 6 2006, 09:58 AM Wrote:Well since its now offical for Dodge, I guess GM will have no choice but to bring their Camaro out of retirement.

i think its already pretty much official
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Jul 6 2006, 08:42 AM Wrote:

i think its already pretty much official
[right][snapback]196598[/snapback][/right]

Last I heard they were having a hard time finding a platform to build it on. But no doubt they'll find something from Europe or Austrailia to stick their bowtie on. Speaking of which if anyone hasn't heard the GTO is going for another dirt nap. :lol:
It will probably look nothing like tha either. :rolleyes:
Here's hoping they stay away from offering the car in Orange with a "Dixie" horn option. All the rednecks will plotz themselves wanting one to recreate the Dukes Of Hazzard :lol:

NefCanuck
If it comes with the 6 speed as planned. I'll be buying one in 2009-2010
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
NefCanuck,Jul 6 2006, 07:43 PM Wrote:Here's hoping they stay away from offering the car in Orange with a "Dixie" horn option.  All the rednecks will plotz themselves wanting one to recreate the Dukes Of Hazzard :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]196661[/snapback][/right]

Ummm Dan that was a 69 Dodge Charger, not a Challenger. :lol:

Oscar The Grouch,Jul 7 2006, 01:11 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jul 6 2006, 07:43 PM Wrote:Here's hoping they stay away from offering the car in Orange with a "Dixie" horn option.  All the rednecks will plotz themselves wanting one to recreate the Dukes Of Hazzard :lol:

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]196752[/snapback][/right]

I still wouldnt put that past them...

or at least i assume the road runner name will be revived soon.

either or...
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Oscar The Grouch,Jul 7 2006, 12:11 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]196752[/snapback][/right]

D'oh... <_< They say as you get older your memory is the second thing to go. Shame I forget what the first one is :P

NefCanuck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Drive: 2008 Dodge Caliber Srt-4 SVT ZX3 9 3,038 09-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Last Post: 02_svt_guy
  Dodge Ram 1500 Pickups And Dodge Durango Recalled Frost__2001 0 1,029 09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  07 Dodge Challenger D-Dub 31 9,452 12-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Last Post: SVT ZX3