Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss Of Some Coolant From Recovery Tank
Okay, I'm probably worrying over nothing at this point but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this.

From the time I bought the car last April the coolant level in the recovery tank was always just below the MAX line. Tonight when I parked it at the Mapleview Cruise Night I noticed the level had dropped halfway between the MAX & MIN lines on the tank.

I have less than 36K on the odometre, I'm obviously gonna keep an eye on things but is a small loss of coolant from the recovery tank normal over time or should I bring it in to Ford sooner than the regularly scheduled 40K raping in July?

NefCanuck
Check it after a while, it will probably go back up where its supposed to be.

Or quite possibly since there is still some water in the mix. Evaporation :D
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I'd be more worried about the temperature gauge than the coolant alone, especially if it's above the minimum line.

Is it pure evaporation? Are you noticing any puddling of coolant on the ground at all? A sweet smell while driving?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 15 2006, 08:12 AM Wrote:I'd be more worried about the temperature gauge than the coolant alone, especially if it's above the minimum line.

Is it pure evaporation? Are you noticing any puddling of coolant on the ground at all? A sweet smell while driving?
[right][snapback]193174[/snapback][/right]

Actually I distrust the temp guage on the Focus mainly because its a pure idiot light disgused as a guage. It only moves away from normal after things have gone to hell in a handcart and by then the damage is done <_<

No puddlling visable under the car and I haven't noticed any sweet smell at all (Of course lately all I can notice is the horrific smell from the A/C unit after I shut it off, smells like mold & then some :ph34r: )

NefCanuck
hardk0re,Jun 14 2006, 11:01 PM Wrote:Check it after a while, it will probably go back up where its supposed to be.
[right][snapback]193151[/snapback][/right]

Checked it this morning before I left for work, still at the same point as it was last night, halfway between MAX & MIN

NefCanuck
That happened to me Nef, I just topped it up with Water and havnt had a problem since lol.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
Keep in mind, that the engine temperature dictates how high the level in the recovery tank is. Maybe when you first checked it, the rad was still hot.
Fingers,Jun 23 2006, 11:06 PM Wrote:Keep in mind, that the engine temperature dictates how high the level in the recovery tank is.  Maybe when you first checked it, the rad was still hot.
[right][snapback]195072[/snapback][/right]

Nope I've checked it when stone cold (12 hours sat) still down, keeping an eye on it...

NefCanuck