Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Battery/alt Problems - Question
I had my alternator replaced earlier this week, after having it completely die and the car shut down on the highway. Since then I have been having a few other problems and I am wondering if its related... First off, the car seems to struggle when I turn on the AC - the idle drops down and the car feels like it will stall. The battery light has flickered a few times. This doesn't happen all the time though - just some of the time. More frequently than that though, when I am slowing to a stop the idle drops down really low and the battery light flickers a bit but usually stays turned off. The car feels like it will stall when this happens, but giving it a bit of gas gets it going again.

I took the car back and had the charging system checked over again and they found no problems so I am wondering what could be up... here are the numbers they gave me - do they sound ok?

Alternator output - 118A, 13.85V
Battery power, car off - 11.3V, car on 12.8V

I didn't have any of these problems before getting the alternator replaced, so it seems pretty odd that they would happen now if they werent related.

Maybe the car just needs more time to relearn the idle conditions?

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires

Messages In This Thread
More Battery/alt Problems - Question - xappie - 07-22-2006, 12:36 AM