Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone explain why it's louder?
(08-18-2014, 03:13 AM)cornflakes Wrote: Hey guys, I'm just curious about a little something.

I bought a used car and the car normally has just one exhaust tip on the left side (stock models), and mine is still stock but the previous owner looks like they made a dual pipe via welding another piping to the main pipe just BEFORE it enters the muffler. So instead of having one exhaust tip on the left side, I have another exhaust tip on the right side giving it that dual exhaust appearance but really it's still just a single pipe.

Now this extension pipe that goes to the right side, near the exhaust tip inside the piping is a ELECTRONIC VALVE. It can open and close with a push of a button.

I keep the button on so that the valve is closed, less noise but still louder than stock. But if I release the button, the valve opens on the right side and then it gets really loud.

The car is stock, it's not a special aftermarket catback or muffler or even larger piping. It's just a welded on extension pipe that goes to the right side and has an electronic valve that opens and closes for sound effect.

All I want to know is WHY does it make a louder noise? Can someone explain the physics or mechanics of how simply welding on another pipe (before the muffler) to extend out to the right side rear of the car makes the car sound much louder than without it?

Is it because the newly extended welded pipe has no muffler? The left side has a muffler and then the exhaust tip but the right side is just piping.

I'm just really curious as to where the noise is coming from and how does it make that noise?

sorry, actually the extended muffler that goes to the right side is welded into the muffler on the left side. The main piping (thinner one) also goes into the muffler..that's the original piping. The newer extension one looks like it's a bit bigger in diameter maybe a 2.5"? and the stock looks smaller like 2".

If the new pipe, when the valve is activated, allows the exhaust flow to bypass one of the mufflers/resonators, that would explain the louder noise.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can someone explain why it's louder? - ZTWsquared - 08-18-2014, 04:44 AM