Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluray Machine to Legacy HT Setup...
Just figured this is as good a place as any to ask about this, as I know there are some other HT schmee's on here too.

My mother in law is going to be buying us a Bluray player as a late christmas present in the next few weeks. Knowing this, I've been doing boatloads of research on them, and came up with a startling revalation...that obviously not all bluray players are the same...and that 75% or more of them are not remotely compatible with HT gear that pre-dates HDMI (only by a year...sigh). So, I've been searching for ones that should work, and my search criteria includes:

1. BD Player must have component video output (my TV's have both this and HDMI, but the HDMI port won't work/handshake with anything I've tried, including after doing a manual reset to the port itself), so I can at least output 1080i or 720p into the tv (JVC I'Art Pro 16:9 HDTV CRT).

2. BD Player must have at least 5.1 or 7.1 Discrete Analogue outputs so I can use the 7.1 input on my receiver.

3. BD Plater must have onboard decoders to send the correct codecs to my receiver, and hopefully attain lossless audio, and some version of DD and DTS that is as good as, or a little bit better than on DVD's.

I am reluctant to sell my receiver just to have HDMI switching (it's an $1800+ Marantz). I've been watching Rogers HD Cable on my Tv, and 720p actually looks fantastic, so I'd be satisfied with 720p movies for the time being until we get a flat panel (yes, we still don't have one, but why bother when we bought a 2nd JVC HDTV CRT for $100 recently in almost brand-new condition, because we like the performance of the 1st one so much?).

I am pretty sure that using the analogue outs and the component video sockets, will give us pretty decent performance right off the bat. Is this right? I know that most of the higher end BD players that ARE legacy compatible, are also future compatible too, what with 1080p output, Firmware updates from manufacturer, internet streaming (which I actually don't give a crap about if my computer is in the same room).

So far, we've tried to get our hands on either a Panasonic DMP-BD85, or a Toshiba BDX3000 (both are highly rated), which has proven difficult. We (read, I) don't want a Sony, LG, or Samsung (I don't plan to buy a TV from them either).

Can anyone give me some techie advice on if the discrete analogue route is gonna work with my old Marantz?

Thanks!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...

Messages In This Thread
Bluray Machine to Legacy HT Setup... - Drivesthebeast - 01-13-2011, 12:42 AM