Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intake Poll
the shorter the tube = better since less travel...
yes it may suck in hot air from the engine bay but the cone filter of my AEM short ram stayed cool most of the time after driving. and i've had it for more than 3 years and still don't think it is that bad besides expensive (ya i should've just get a cone filter and stick it to the stock tube or whatever similar)

yes it does bog down a bit at REALLY hot days when the car is driving slow, but a CAI will do the same since the temp. is hot by itself. when the car is going fast, cooler air will go into the engine bay anyways so i don't think it will make a huge difference.

i did a little modification to my AEM short ram like 2 years ago in the summer time when it bogs down too much, all i did is to seal both of the holes where u connect a rubber tube to the engine (both the intake side and the engine side) is that called the PCV valve??? i am not sure but i think u should know which hole i'm talking about if u've seen a focus intake. and then.. idle went really smooth, a lot less bog down since a lot less hot air is going into the intake manifold. and it has been like this for the past 2 years, 0 problem, car runs perfect.

i may not be able to describe really well, maybe dan or tim can help me out on it if someone don't understand what i'm talking about.. since they've seen it.

as for which intake i'll choose from the list, i'd say volant.
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3
Car companies from Ford to Ferrari spend billions of dollars collectively doing R&D on sqeezing every available HPtre. What, if any production cars have under hood intakes? Ever since carburated engines were replaced by fuel injection outside air seems to be the way to go?

Even on slow speed marine diesels (900 rpm max) we still duct in outside air. At the other end hyper speed petrol engines like motorcycles are all using ducts now and have been for decades in performance models. There just has to be something to it?

I don't know but perception is for the most part reality.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Shorter distance for the air to travel won't make a difference about 1.2 seconds after ignition. At that point, the draw of air will be constant, whether it be from a short ram or a CAI. As a matter of fact, due to the fact that the air is travelling the whole length of a CAI, it will be futher cooled due to it's speed thru the tube. a short gust will be warmer than a longer breeze. The CAI makes more sense if mounted somewhere where it can avoid water/snow.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Its that initial though that means alot. Specially as you get more and more power.

Put a "cai" on a supercharger and see what happens. Ill sum it up for you...

"booooooo :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: "
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
Or you could do like I did...put in a K&N Flat panel filter into the stock airbox, and then remove the air baffle box on the side of it. The car gets better fuel economy, it has stronger/faster/sharper throttle response from stock. The airbox is pulling in air from both the snorkel and the 1/2" x 3" square hole where the baffle used to be. It also created that "short ram" snorty sound under hard acceleration, and all of this for under $80.... :P
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Only 'flaw' with that is that a cone filter will flow way more air then a panel filter will anyday.
Drivesthebeast,Oct 24 2004, 08:27 PM Wrote:Or you could do like I did...put in a K&N Flat panel filter into the stock airbox, and then remove the air baffle box on the side of it.  The car gets better fuel economy, it has stronger/faster/sharper throttle response from stock.  The airbox is pulling in air from both the snorkel and the 1/2" x 3" square hole where the baffle used to be.  It also created that "short ram" snorty sound under hard acceleration, and all of this for under $80.... :P
I replaced my airbox with a cone filer with heatshield (reactive cone/heatshield combo) for $55. Got the sound and what felt like a slightly quicker throttle response (possibly placebo effect but I'm happy). I kept the bottom half of the air box with the svt snorkel and removed the mini snorkel.
I want a volant for my svt.... but volant doesnt make one. perhaps i'll make my own
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Drivesthebeast,Oct 24 2004, 08:27 PM Wrote:Or you could do like I did...put in a K&N Flat panel filter into the stock airbox, and then remove the air baffle box on the side of it.
I've done the same plus I have the SVT snorkel in my garage waiting for me to get off by butt and install.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
scoobasteve,Oct 26 2004, 07:45 AM Wrote:I want a volant for my svt.... but volant doesnt make one. perhaps i'll make my own
Apparently it's still in R&D.
Only way I would recomend doing a volant is if you can find a used one. there way to expensive. The FC instake is a way better deal and the exact same. You could also make your own volant replcia if you are a handy person..