Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changed Tires, Now Wheel Vibrates?
hi all

I just took my winters off on the weekend and had my BFG all seasons put back on for the summer. Now I am noticing a slight "pulsing" left and right of the steering wheel when I am driving in a straight line at slow speeds ie less than 20km/h. At highway speeds the wheel is rock steady, so I am not sure if it is a balancing issue - since I think that it would get worse at high speeds not better.

Any ideas? I am thinking maybe a belt in one of my tires is off center... but I am just guessing. Maybe I should rotate them and see what happens?

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
Did you by chance store them on top of cement?
hardk0re,Apr 17 2006, 09:11 AM Wrote:Did you by chance store them on top of cement?
[right][snapback]181574[/snapback][/right]

Yes... stacked up inside of tire bags in the basement. Why?
2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
I would check for belt seperation and goose eggs on the tires. Generally when tires are stored on cement the rubber absorbs moisture. This is very bad for the sidewalls.

Not sure if the bags helped due to your problem I can assume that you may have a bad tire, if you know which one was on the bottom, check that one first!
hardk0re,Apr 17 2006, 10:30 AM Wrote:I would check for belt seperation and goose eggs on the tires.  Generally when tires are stored on cement the rubber absorbs moisture.  This is very bad for the sidewalls.

Not sure if the bags helped due to your problem I can assume that you may have a bad tire, if you know which one was on the bottom, check that one first!
[right][snapback]181588[/snapback][/right]

Thanks... how do I check for "goose eggs"??
xappie,Apr 17 2006, 09:59 AM Wrote:  Now I am noticing a slight "pulsing" left and right of the steering wheel when I am driving in a straight line at slow speeds ie less than 20km/h.   At highway speeds the wheel is rock steady, so I am not sure if it is a balancing issue - since I think that it would get worse at high speeds not better.

[right][snapback]181573[/snapback][/right]

Try rebalancing the wheels, check your tire pressures again, if it doesn't help roadforce balance is the way to go. Some Ford dealers have it now. What they do is disassemble the tires measure the high and low spots of the rims and tires, the circumference of the rims. bring the high spot of the tire together with the low spot of the rim - tis way disbalance is maximally reduced. also the would choose the best combination for your rim and tire mounting i.e. what rim the tire should be mounted on. For ex. RF tire might go on RR rim and so forth. I've had mine done, it helped a lot. i have all wheels under 4lbs. only problem is... dealers charge $100 for that. that's probably all i can think of.
Had the same probelm when I put on my summers this weekend. Got all 4 tire balanced, problem gone.