Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Pc
Hey guys,

Im looking for a PC that is stricly playing games and surfing web. Im looking to buy it from Futurshop or BestBuy.

Any suggestion?
Turbo arrived!
Okay you want a gaming PC, what's your budget like?

Bear in mind that neither FS or BB (one in the same company actually) sell anything in the desktop format that would be considered a "pure" gaming PC

I define a pure gaming PC with the following minimum stats:

1GB RAM (2GB is better)
120GB+ HD (7,200 RPM or higher)
16x DVD/CD burner (dual layer)
Win XP Pro
PCI Express based video card 256MB
CPU Dual core 64bit 3Ghz+

NefCanuck
focusonthis_88,Apr 15 2006, 08:57 PM Wrote:Hey guys,

Im looking for a PC that is stricly playing games and surfing web.  Im looking to buy it from Futurshop or BestBuy.

Any suggestion?
[right][snapback]181304[/snapback][/right]

futureshop had a nicely loaded gateway at $999.99

AMD x2 64 4400+

dvd
cd
media reader 9-in-1
usb 2.0
keyboard
mouse
200gb hdd
2GB RAM

pretty decent machine..
NefCanuck,Apr 15 2006, 09:05 PM Wrote:Okay you want a gaming PC, what's your budget like?

I would say 2k.

Well, because FS and BB has warranty and can be put on a monthly plan so...I going more in that direction.
Turbo arrived!
If you got 2K....build your own!!!

dont bother with the pre-packed FS and BB stuff...nothing against them whatsoever...just sayin with 2K you can make alot better custom rig to suit your needs!
microbunny,Apr 16 2006, 01:30 AM Wrote:If you got 2K....build your own!!!

dont bother with the pre-packed FS and BB stuff...nothing against them whatsoever...just sayin with 2K you can make alot better custom rig to suit your needs!
[right][snapback]181309[/snapback][/right]

he said he wanted the payment plan option ;)

you fail reading 101
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Apr 15 2006, 09:36 PM Wrote:
microbunny,Apr 16 2006, 01:30 AM Wrote:If you got 2K....build your own!!!

[right][snapback]181309[/snapback][/right]

he said he wanted the payment plan option ;)

you fail reading 101
[right][snapback]181311[/snapback][/right]

whatever f***ass.,,,

focusonthis_88,Apr 15 2006, 08:26 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 15 2006, 09:05 PM Wrote:Okay you want a gaming PC, what's your budget like?

I would say 2k.

Well, because FS and BB has warranty and can be put on a monthly plan so...I going more in that direction.
[right][snapback]181308[/snapback][/right]

Okay, though some of the other big PC retailers do offer payment terms (EG: CompuSmart, Dell if you're comfortable with mail order)

The important thing to remember for a gaming maching is to stay FAR away from any machine that has the video integrated into the MB. There are a few reasons for that, chief among them is that they use the system memory for their work and cut into the memory you have available for games.

NefCanuck
Dell/Alienware I guess.....

... wow.... I feel dirty recommending them.....

Oh, and above, Nef, AMDs aren't 3 GHz plus now are they? I'd say like 2-2.4GHz or higher and Dual core would be more than sufficent. Allows me to play games and play music in the background and run Azureus without much loss of performance.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Well, you really don't need a CD burner for a strictly gaming PC.

You would need a decent amount of high-speed RAM (at least 1 GB as previously mentioned), as well as a decent CPU. Go AMD for the CPU as they are the leaders in performance when it comes to games.

And of course, you'll need a very good video card. Both ATI and NVidia have some very good cards, the question is how much you'll pay.

However, going to FS/BB for a gaming system really is not a good idea. Their equipment is usually pretty generic with none of the high-end gear you're able to get if you build your own. A cursory look at FS's computer section reveals that none of their systems have a decent video card.

In short, high-end gaming computers and FS/BB are mutually exclusive. If you want a high-end system, my bf can build you one better than FS or BB can offer as he is a computer genius. PM me if you want.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.