Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus Walked On Ice?
From tihs article

Quote:MIAMI (Reuters) - The New Testament says that Jesus walked on water, but a Florida university professor believes there could be a less miraculous explanation -- he walked on a floating piece of ice.

Professor Doron Nof also theorized in the early 1990s that Moses's parting of the Red Sea had solid science behind it.

Nof, a professor of oceanography at Florida State University, said on Tuesday that his study found an unusual combination of water and atmospheric conditions in what is now northern Israel could have led to ice formation on the Sea of Galilee.

Nof used records of the Mediterranean Sea's surface temperatures and statistical models to examine the dynamics of the Sea of Galilee, which Israelis know now as Lake Kinneret.

The study found that a period of cooler temperatures in the area between 1,500 and 2,600 years ago could have included the decades in which Jesus lived.

A drop in temperature below freezing could have caused ice thick enough to support a human to form on the surface of the freshwater lake near the western shore, Nof said. It might have been nearly impossible for distant observers to see a piece of floating ice surrounded by water.

Nof said he offered his study -- published in the April edition of the Journal of Paleolimnology -- as a "possible explanation" for Jesus' walk on water.

"If you ask me if I believe someone walked on water, no, I don't," Nof said. "Maybe somebody walked on the ice, I don't know. I believe that something natural was there that explains it."

now I know for a fact that religion and science don't get along, I can't wait to see what happens now..
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Thats an interestng theory. I'd like to see the evidence on the parting of the Red Sea. Can't see the religious people being happy about this. I can almost see this topic becoming the next gay marriage thread.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

whoa I opened this upstarted reading and on Daily Planet they start talking about this same thing...

***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Bah, I prefer when the show was called @Discovery.ca, it was for more interesting. They actually talked about science and didn't try and sensationalize everything and play repeats all the time.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Could explain it. Interesting theory. He was probably fishing.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I haven't seen any of these shows but it's not a big leap of faith to believe the "Sea" froze, it is not a sea at all in the modern sense. It is a small fresh water lake by Canadian standards, a mere puddle compared to what we are used to:

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0001777.html

Even today Lebanon, Isreal, Iran and Iraq get snow "often". Often enough snow to have Winter Olympic teams and ski resorts. The flag of The Lebanon features a Lebonese Cedar (pine tree) and the fact that the surface of the "sea" is the 2nd deepest place (below sea level) on the whole planet should raise red flags, cold air sinks as we all know.

All deserts get very cold at night with no surface absorbtion, lots of surface reflection and no heat sinks. The "sea" is a good heat sink but a cold blast can freeze the surface.

It is the nature of H2O water molecules and the connection (bond) of the two hydrogen molecules to the oxygen.

As water gets colder and moves ("vibrates") less the angle between the H atoms relative to the O gets greater (starting around +3.5^C) and explains why unlike most other (99.9% of) molecules, when liquid water turns to a solid it floats rather than sinks. There are very very few other solids that are less dense than their liquid counterparts. It is all the type of "bond".

BOND, ...........HYDROGEN BOND.

Water truly is "miraculous" in its behaviour and abundance here on earth, and is why we look for it first of all on other worlds. We exist only because of hydrogen bonding.

Besides people don't understand temperature. Even the news today said because it reached a high of 5 today and it will be 15 tomorrow that it will be "3 times warmer". In reality it will be:

((15-5)/-273)*100%=4% warmer

P.S.: Ask me where gold comes from and why it is so valuable, I dare you.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!