Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Valve Cover Gasket
Well i've noticed a lil bit of oil around the valve cover so i'm thinking the gasket is pouched.

Does anyone have any info on replacing the gasket?

Can I do it myself?

Any thing I should be aware of when if I do it?

And what will the gasket cost me? I'm guessing Ford is the best place to get it.

Thanx guys
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Replacing the gasket is pretty easy. Just pop off your vavle cover, carefully removed the old one and pop the new one in. It takes a bit of work to get it to fit correctly but take your time and it should be no problem. Its very easy to do yourself and just make sure that when you retighten the valve cover back onto the head that you DO NOT overtighten the bolts. This will cause your new gasket to become a leaky gasket. For your final question my gasket cost me $52.00 tax in from Ford. Its a rip off, but I needed it lol. Hope this helps

Matt
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
$52.00 from Ford eh? Well i think i'll call around and see if I can find it cheaper. Might have to get a new DPFE at the same time so maybe i'll be going to Forf for both we'll see.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

crappy tire wanted $60+ for it when I was looking. Let us know if you find something cheaper
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
IIRC, when I swapped my valve cover for a metal Contour version, the gasket on the plastic unit had a gasket dressing of some kind on it. I removed the old gasket to clean everything up and it had a black tar-like substance on it. If the old gasket isn't torn or cracked perhaps you could remove everything, clean it up and apply a black RTV gasket sealer/dressing to the valve cover and the head. I also had a leak with the metal cover and I used Hylomar to seal it up. (BTW, I may be able to get you a metal valve cover if interested).
??? This might make me sound real stupid, I thought our valve cover was aluminum. I haven't really looked too hard but I thought it was. I'm doing my gasket soon as well.
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
IIRC the stock valve cover is actually plastic.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

I just got mine replaced at Ford a while ago, and did so around 105,000K....the gasket itself was $52.00, but I got charged the labour for it, etc etc...it had to be done, and I don't have the tools or location to do it myself at the moment. $52 is cheap for a gasket from the dealer, IMO...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Did mine a couple of weeks ago. Took me forever, as I had to extract a bolt I broke overtightening them a while ago. Whole process, without problems, should take a half hour, tops.

The best advice I can offer, is to use a torque wrench. The FSM states 18lbft, I tightened them down to 20 to be safe. Anything more than that, and those bolts WILL break.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
Is this a common problem on the Focus?
BradfordZX3,Apr 8 2006, 11:02 PM Wrote:Is this a common problem on the Focus?
[right][snapback]179943[/snapback][/right]

yup, more so if you use synthetic oil
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
nass,Apr 8 2006, 06:48 PM Wrote:
BradfordZX3,Apr 8 2006, 11:02 PM Wrote:Is this a common problem on the Focus?
[right][snapback]179943[/snapback][/right]

yup, more so if you use synthetic oil
[right][snapback]179958[/snapback][/right]

Really? Does that include any synthetic blend? My '05 states 5W20 Semi-synth as a requirement :blink: Maybe that Ford ESP wasn't such a bad idea after all...

NefCanuck
I'm not sure its more common if you use synth. I don't see how that would affect any leaks more or less than regular oil.
hardk0re,Apr 9 2006, 03:17 AM Wrote:I'm not sure its more common if you use synth.  I don't see how that would affect any leaks more or less than regular oil.
[right][snapback]180008[/snapback][/right]

Mine onlyleaked when I went to synthetic and I have read others post the same thing. I could be wrong but it's a trend. Not that it's major issue and new gasket and the problem goes away. I wouldn't worry about it nef.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
another thing to add to the list...yes, mine is leaking also...right bottom corner, beside the cap.
2002 Infra-red ZTS
Mine leaked all across the front...did so after running full synthetic for a lot of km's...but I still use synthetic all the time...get more mpg, more engine response, and the engine runs like a swiss watch with fresh oil too. I don't know if there is a difference to the composition of the gasket after synthetic has been used or not...if so, my new one has only had synthetic into it from day 1...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valve Cover oldeguy 6 1,667 03-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Last Post: oldeguy
  You Might Want To Check.. Water Under Valve Cover DanielB_ZX3 14 5,477 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Last Post: ZX3TUNR
  Valve Cover Torque Tantrik ZX3 3 1,570 04-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Last Post: FocusGuy7476
  Burning Oil Is Caused By Rocker Cover Gasket ANTHONYD 30 6,043 02-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  Valve Cover Gasket Medicman 9 2,928 01-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Zoom