Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotors Are Stuck On?
Hi all

Just trying to change out my rotors, and I have the wheel removed and caliper off, but I can't get the damn rotor off! Is there some hidden bolts or screws somewhere? I have only removed the 4 lug nuts, and the 2 bolts needed to remove the caliper... am I missing something?

Any advice is appreciated!
2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
Another April fools joke.

Listen............It's over!!!!
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
the rubber mallet is your friend, just give it a few good slaps with that and it should pop off.
hardk0re,Apr 1 2006, 05:56 PM Wrote:the rubber mallet is your friend, just give it a few good slaps with that and it should pop off.
[right][snapback]178524[/snapback][/right]

Well I've been hitting it with a hammer (block of wood between it and the rotor) and I can't get the damn thing off at all.

I don't have a rubber mallet. :(
2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
are you sure you took the caliper off, because thats the only other thing that would hold the rotor on. Umm........ where are you hitting the rotor. Try hitting the face out at the edge of it. If that doesn't get it. I think you fused it to the axle. How many kms since your last brake job......
laidman,Apr 1 2006, 06:08 PM Wrote:are you sure you took the caliper off, because thats the only other thing that would hold the rotor on.  Umm........ where are you hitting the rotor.  Try hitting the face out at the edge of it.  If that doesn't get it.  I think you fused it to the axle.  How many kms since your last brake job......
[right][snapback]178529[/snapback][/right]

Yes, the caliper is definately off. The rotors were machined about a month ago, because they were warped and now I am trying to replace them. This sucks!

I have been hitting it everywhere I can, trying to loosen it up, and also sprayed some "release all" into the cracks next to the hub.
Ok, I just beat the crap out of it near the edges of the rotor and FINALLY it's off!

BOOYA gramma! I am gonna get a big gold chain and wear it around my neck eminem style.

Thanks for eveyones help!
Next time try not to over tighten the lugs too much ARNOLD!!

If all else fails, just torch the s*** out of it.... works like a charm
Alex
Best thing is to put a lil film of anti seize compound on the hub where the rotor comes in contact with the hub, you always get rust there which makes it harder to take off, this way your preventing it, should have no problem getting it off.

On other cars they have a screw in between the bolt pattern to hold the rotor on, i always give that some anti seize, makes disassembly a piece of cake.
[Image: FocusCanadaAvatar.jpg]
Ferocious ZX3,Apr 3 2006, 09:34 AM Wrote:Best thing is to put a lil film of anti seize compound on the hub where the rotor comes in contact with the hub, you always get rust there which makes it harder to take off, this way your preventing it, should have no problem getting it off.

On other cars they have a screw in between the bolt pattern to hold the rotor on, i always give that some anti seize, makes disassembly a piece of cake.
[right][snapback]178732[/snapback][/right]

Thats exactly what I did... I wasn't sure if it was the "right" thing to do though, so thanks for the confirmation.

But hopefully I don't have to take these things off again for a while now!
GOOD OLD RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
focus gone - 2005 mazda 6 sport gt wagon - lovin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always take a little bit of grease between the rotor and hub and has never ever stuck on..... :)
My Mom Says I'm Special