Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taxes On Used Cars
Okay, stupid question guys...

When buying a used car from a dealership, do you only pay GST? This is at the time of purchase, or when you register?

Same goes for private sales?
01-yellow-ZX3,Mar 23 2006 Wrote:Okay, stupid question guys...

When buying a used car from a dealership, do you only pay GST?  This is at the time of purchase, or when you register?

[right][snapback]176486[/snapback][/right]

From a dealer it's right away and you pay the PST for sure and if I remember the GST

Private sales you only pay one tax PST I believe and it's at the registration. You can play with the value a bit and save some taxes.

this might help you
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Mar 22 2006, 09:11 PM Wrote:
01-yellow-ZX3,Mar 23 2006 Wrote:Okay, stupid question guys...

When buying a used car from a dealership, do you only pay GST?  This is at the time of purchase, or when you register?

From a dealer it's right away and you pay the PST for sure and if I remember the GST

Private sales you only pay one tax PST I believe and it's at the registration. You can play with the value a bit and save some taxes.

this might help you
[right][snapback]176492[/snapback][/right]

One caution about "playing with the value" on a private sale to save on PST. When you register the car you have to pay PST on the red book value of the car between the low & high ranges for that car adjusted for its condition (The Used Vehicle Information Package that the seller MUST furnish to the buyer when completing the sale) If you disagree with the values you have to pay to get an appraiser to declare a lesser value in writing.

NefCanuck

(Note: The above applies only to ONT, YMMV in other provinces(
dealers, you pay 15%
private you pay only one tax, PST i think

Claim the real value of the vehicle you bought. Incase anything happens to the car, guess what the insureance is gona pay you?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Kay, a few things about the above posts.... I work for a vehicle leasing company that operates coast to coast, so I do this every day...

Every province is different. Being in Manitoba, he'll only pay 14% tax. Also, not all provinces charge you on book value. Here in BC, they charge you whatever you claim the car was sold for. Manitoba and Sask are generally the same, as we all have Public insurance.

Claiming a stupidly low value may attract some attention, but you could always say the seller totalled it in an at-fault accident, and didn't place a claim. Tell them you're buying for salvage or something.... they won't care.

In every province, though, the above statements is true. At a dealer, you'll pay all the taxes up front, and in a private sale, the PST is charged at time of transfer.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
yeah I purchased 2 cars privately and each time they just wanted to see the odo reading and the bill of sale. I saved myself a bundle having the bill of sale lower than the buying price. BUt like someone said don't go way under or they'll make you pay the book value which they can do if the purchase price is lower.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
01-yellow-ZX3,Mar 22 2006 Wrote:Okay, stupid question guys...

For Manitoba residence.....

From the dealer its either PST & GST to straight to them or, GST to them and PST to MPI......

Private sale, its only the PST to MPI when you register it....

And as stated above, you pay on the black book value or the price of your purchase, which ever is higher.