Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find Me A Better Deal/hdtv Advice
That first Best Buy link with the Toshiba is my favorite tv. I worked at Best Buy for 6 months, never saw one problem with that tv whatsoever.

Samsung on the other hand...thats a different story. Notorious for bulb/lamp issues, just google Samsung dlp lamp for stories. I had a lady customer bring a Samsung 52" dlp back 4 times! I can't believe she took all the s*** we put her thru.
meford4u,Mar 22 2006, 11:42 PM Wrote:Dean.  Ignore Nos for a minute.  What's your suggestion for a tv in the $2000 range.
How about the 3-5000 range.
Just for interest sake.
[right][snapback]176468[/snapback][/right]

well for projectors

a Runco CL-420
SIM2 Domino 30H
but nothing beats a Infocus Screenplay 5000 this is what I have at home and for the price the thing kicks ass

LCD's
anything AQUOS good s***

rear projection
never like them so dont realy care

Plasma
would not even take one if it was given to me Plasma is one of the worst display types

get what ever you like just make sure that you get the right one

i.e.

1280x720 or 1920x1080
these are the only res you want there for your image is true

component inputs
make sure you have the right # of inputs plus make sure you have 2 or 3 extra for futrue this is the only signal path that carries "HD" other then HDMI

HDMI
is only RGB with audio nothing more since nothing has HDMI i.e. tuners or switchers and if you are doing a surround system then HDMI is useless cuz if that was so then we would not be looking at TVs at this price just so you know a theatre tuner with 3HDMI inputs and a HDMI out would run you around 10G's thats just for the tuner nothing else

Placement of the TV
Plasma suck in the sun or high light area

LCD
ok in sun and light

Pay no attention to contrast and s*** Manufactures inbellish then and do nothing for you unless you set you tv up with a test disc

last but one of the most importent is play with the tv at the store grab the remote and play with all the settings turn down the brightness and the contrast cuz the stores crank them up to make the pic bright and stuning you put a cable signal to them and everything will be washed out plus your lamp will last 1/2 the life
the stores like bestbuy are out to get your $$$$ and pray on the no educated so look around before you buy remember you get what you pay for a $1000 tv will look like a $1000 tv

call me if any one needs help and i will be happy to help you out just dont but an AV cuz your friend says it's good cuz your the one watching it
sorry

DLP

pointless

single chip DLP is a wast of money

DLP is only good if you go 3 chip and if you have 10g + then go DLP

but DLP single chip does nothing for you its a buzz word like HDMI, HDTV, its all garbage

Quote:component inputs
make sure you have the right # of inputs plus make sure you have 2 or 3 extra for futrue this is the only signal path that carries "HD" other then HDMI

HDMI
is only RGB with audio nothing more since nothing has HDMI i.e. tuners or switchers and if you are doing a surround system then HDMI is useless cuz if that was so then we would not be looking at TVs at this price just so you know a theatre tuner with 3HDMI inputs and a HDMI out would run you around 10G's thats just for the tuner nothing else

Don't forget DVI as well, its HD like HDMI, but without the audio capabilities.

The last model Bell Hi Def systems all used DVI, so an HDMI convertor or cable with both ends is usually need in this case.

Lots of my buddies have bought tv's thru Future Shop, and they will most likely always throw in a Hi Def Samsung DVD player with HDMI cable, something good enough to get ya started.
Thanks Dean. Appreciate the input.

I was looking at the sharp LCD for my next tv.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
SVT dean,Mar 22 2006, 09:08 PM Wrote:sorry

DLP

pointless

single chip DLP is a wast of money

DLP is only good if you go 3 chip and if you have 10g + then go DLP

but DLP single chip does nothing for you its a buzz word like HDMI, HDTV, its all garbage
[right][snapback]176491[/snapback][/right]

I beg to differ... DLP, even single chip DLP can produce better contrast and colour gamut than regular LCD projection technology.

It probably has the best image-price ratio at the moment. I'm not a big fan of LCD because of aging issues, and color reproduction. DLP is not perfect, but it rivals traditional LCD technology.

Of course 3 chip DLP is nicer, but so are 3 element LCDs (which are just coming down in price now) vs composite element LCDs.

The trick to a good DLP experience, or that of any TV really is to get it properly calibrated. My complaint with most big-box stores is that they won't take the time to set up your TV properly for you. None of the technologies are bang on out of the box, and a little bit of effort goes a long way.

now, if you're looking in the $5,000 range, I highly recommend looking at LCoS.

Check out Sony's SXRD (a reflective LCD technology).... this technology rivals (and technically should surpass) DLP color reproduction. I'm not too sure what other LCoS systems are out there, but these TV's are stunning.

Next on the list would be your LED backlit LCD TVs... ridiculously expensive ($20g for a 40" TV)... if the prices ever come down, they'll replace most every projection technology. And they have superb color gamut.

The next technology to look out for are SEDs (Surface Emitter Displays). Plasma, without the wussy plasma. Of course I think they'll still use scintillators, but more like traditional tube vs the finicky plasma ones.

I've run lots of samsung displays (LCD), and know a few people with the DLPs as well, never had a problem with them.. but everyone has their favourites, I can only make recommendations.

But Meford, seriously if you have 5G to spend, SXRD... they're gorgeous.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

"But Meford, seriously if you have 5G to spend, SXRD... they're gorgeous"

I will look into it next year with the move.

My tv budget is around $5k right now.

And then there is all the audio stuff I have been awing over.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I've heard that HDTVs look like garbage unless they are showing HD signal. Any info?
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Mar 23 2006, 08:38 AM Wrote:I've heard that HDTVs look like garbage unless they are showing HD signal.  Any info?
[right][snapback]176551[/snapback][/right]

regular TV looks like garbage period on a big screen...you're blowing up pixels into quarters.. but HDTV's do better with with an HDTV signal, Many times, if you try to watch a lower resolution on a TV with a higher res chip, it'll have to upsample the image, which sometimes causes a slight delay and/or chunkiness... but the technology has come a long way and the image quality is pretty good.

It's also another reason not to get too excited about 480p... 480i is NTSC, 480p is just uninterlaced resolution.. bleh.

So.... i wasnt too impressed with the samsung yesterday :( so i decided against it...

what do you guys think of this

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/P...th=n32050n45260

What would be the pros and cons with this tv.. or the 3lcd technology?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,Mar 23 2006, 11:20 AM Wrote:So.... i wasnt too impressed with the samsung yesterday :( so i decided against it...

what do you guys think of this

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/P...th=n32050n45260

What would be the pros and cons with this tv.. or the 3lcd technology?
[right][snapback]176568[/snapback][/right]

it's my second choice personally. nice TV no doubt.

well with a bestbuy pricematch... the tv would be 1799. so its a definate consideration...

does anyone know where i could find more information on LCD vs DLP?
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Mar 23 2006, 11:27 AM Wrote:well with a bestbuy pricematch... the tv would be 1799. so its a definate consideration...

does anyone know where i could find more information on LCD vs DLP?
[right][snapback]176571[/snapback][/right]

might want to hit up the company's websites and read the whitepapers.

IF you do a straight up search on the net, you're going to find a lot of outdated information.

why not head to a reputable shop and get them to educate you a bit more? then you can cop out and buy at Cheepest Buy™.

Sounds like a plan...

I checked out futureshops HDTV buyers guide...

but half the links were broken or outdated
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Mar 23 2006, 11:32 AM Wrote:Sounds like a plan...

I checked out futureshops HDTV buyers guide...

but half the links were broken or outdated
[right][snapback]176576[/snapback][/right]

I've owned a Sony Grand Wega LCD TV since '03 (Model KF-50XBR800) and have nothing bad to say about it except for the fact that as others have said, you feed it a garbage signal, your results are gonna be garbage (Rogers analog has some nasty pixellization issues on some channels and boy does this TV highlight them in glowing neon <_< )

Feed it a progressive scan DVD signal and you'll think you've died & gone to heaven :P

Gotta find a way to afford the hidef thing, whether through Rogers or BEll's service for condos (assuming they ever get their act together and install the hardware on site :rolleyes: )

NefCanuck
http://www.2001audiovideo.com/product_info...=HD52G566&clr=1

So i almost got that over lunch... pretty good deal at the kennedy location...

2499 w/ stand... but they wouldnt make me a deal on it regarding the financing garbage...

they advertise 0% Interest. for 36 months. thats not the case so i walked.
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Mar 23 2006, 08:06 PM Wrote:http://www.2001audiovideo.com/product_info...=HD52G566&clr=1

2499 w/ stand... but they wouldnt make me a deal on it regarding the financing garbage...

they advertise 0% Interest.  for 36 months. thats not the case so i walked.
[right][snapback]176607[/snapback][/right]

the sonys nice but only 1280x720 not bad

the JVC is junk and its not even worth pissing on

if you need help call me 416-569-3326
SVT dean,Mar 23 2006, 05:21 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Mar 23 2006, 08:06 PM Wrote:http://www.2001audiovideo.com/product_info...=HD52G566&clr=1

they advertise 0% Interest.  for 36 months. thats not the case so i walked.
[right][snapback]176607[/snapback][/right]

the sonys nice but only 1280x720 not bad

the JVC is junk and its not even worth pissing on

if you need help call me 416-569-3326
[right][snapback]176629[/snapback][/right]

don't forget about the price and size range he's looking at man. His options are limited.

Yup... I'm poor now, and paying WAYYY too much for rent...
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Mar 23 2006, 05:39 PM Wrote:Yup... I'm poor now, and paying WAYYY too much for rent...
[right][snapback]176636[/snapback][/right]

seriously, image quality wise, either DLP or LCoS should be affordable, just don't expect ultra high resolution, and make sure the people you're buying the TV from can demonstrate both NTSC and the TV's native HiDef resolution so you have an idea of what you're getting.

I'll go shopping with ya.