Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferry Sinks In Bc
Goes to show it can happen anywhere. It happened at about 1am Pacific so just a couple hours ago, no links yet.

Off Queen Charlotte Islands, 90 people rescued (I will assume that means everyone is thus safe), BC Ferries car ferry.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
from the canoe website..

Quote:VANCOUVER (CP) - Rescuers plucked dozens of people from lifeboats off B.C.'s Queen Charlotte Islands early Wednesday after a large ferry ran aground and sank in choppy seas.

All 102 people aboard were accounted for according to the Capt. Leah Byrne. She said the vessel ran aground, began listing and then went under. Byrne, of the Search and Rescue Centre in Victoria, said the Queen of the North was sailing south to Port Hardy from Prince Rupert, a 450-kilometre trip along what's known as B.C.'s Inside Passage, a series of islands just off the north coast of the province.

The 125-metre-long vessel is reported to be completely submerged about 135 kilometres from Prince Rupert.

"The joint rescue co-ordination centre dispatched a large number of assets to the scene, including a cormorant helicopter and buffalo aircraft," she said.

Unconfirmed reports said fishing trawlers also responded to the initial call and helped in the rescue. Seas were reported to be choppy and winds were blowing at about 75 kilometres per hour.

"From what we hear, it took about an hour for the ship to sink so most of the people did manage to get onto lifeboats," she said. "There was an orderly evacuation of personnel from the vessel, including passengers and crew."

Most of the survivors were taken to a community centre in Hartley Bay while others were kept aboard a Coast Guard ship.

Nicole Robinson, a receptionist at the nursing station in Hartley Bay, said she talked to several members of the ferry's crew who were sleeping when the ship began to take on water.

"They heard a loud bang like it grinded a bit and they said the cabin started filling with water," she said.

Some people were hurt, but not seriously, said Robinson. Many were "stunned."

"We've just had a few patients come and go, minor injuries, the community all got together with blankets, everybody's pretty cold but they're all down at a community hall," Robinson said.

According to the B.C. Ferries website, the ship was built in Germany in 1969 and refitted in 2001. It can hold up to 700 people and 115 cars.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Ran aground!

"Yar, there be whales in me drive-through again. No more coffee till we hit the mainland boys!"
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Well i'm glad everyone is ok, but i got the feeling that the captain needs to look for a new career.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Could you imageine if the ship was at capacity? Would never happen on that dead route.... but that's the reason ferry sinkings are disasters to the rest of the world...
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
I read it here this morning and went to the tele to see the news. Nothing. That's why this site rules.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Well, nobody died, therefore, its not national news. Will just be a snippet on your local broadcast tonight.

Was all over the news locally.... then again, there's always debate over BC Ferries, as it used to be a Crown Corporation that was sold off a few years ago to a private owner.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
I heard on the new that they are looking for a couple. They are almost positive they didnt die. But they were on the ferry.

They think they just hoped on a boat and continued thieir trip to Prince Rupert...?!??!!

Who survives a ferry sinking and hitchs a ride to shore and continue on? Like it never happened!
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
FociPhil,Mar 23 2006, 10:32 AM Wrote:I heard on the new that they are looking for a couple. They are almost positive they didnt die. But they were on the ferry.

They think they just hoped on a boat and continued thieir trip to Prince Rupert...?!??!!

Who survives a ferry sinking and hitchs a ride to shore and continue on? Like it never happened!
[right][snapback]176561[/snapback][/right]

I would... especially if I didn't lose anything..why not? the other 100 people can't tell the story? and besides, I've got plans!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

well im just thinking most people would stick around...but then again if i came close to dying, i would certainly be going out for a drink or 12.
Which, oddly enough, is ALL there is to do in Prince Rupert. Pulp mills and bars.
White 2001 ZX3

My Focus
My Photography
My Hydrographer friend was telling me lastnight (He spoke to the office in BC) and said the ferry may have hit land. The only rock in the 5 KM mouth is like 300 yards off shore and it well known. (It's the only rock there)

Human error is what they're thinking was the ultimate cause.

Sad.
Still looking for two people.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
ANTHONYD,Mar 24 2006, 12:11 PM Wrote:My Hydrographer friend was telling me lastnight (He spoke to the office in BC) and said the ferry may have hit land. The only rock in the 5 KM mouth is like 300 yards off shore and it well known. (It's the only rock there)

Human error is what they're thinking was the ultimate cause.

Sad.
[right][snapback]176704[/snapback][/right]

yeah i heard that too, they went off thier usual course and hit a rock.

so lesson here...STAY ON THE RIGHT PATH!